NIKKOR 800 PF 6.3 Lens Filter???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon recommended keeping the clear glass filter in the 600mm f/4 DSLR lenses when not using an internal CPL filter. That does not apply to the Z 800mm PF lens and with the Nikon CPL one does get a greater than 2 stop reduction in light although it is variable and changes depending on the angle of the lens to the sun.

I purchased a JJC 46mm thin polarizer, set the desired degree of polarization manually in the holder, and installed the holder in the lens. It worked perfectly for an air show where every show was landscape orientation. About 5% of the cost of the Nikon one. I did extensive contrast and image quality testing and am pleased with the results. I can’t quickly change the degree of polarization but it suits my needs just fine for occasional use.

I have and use this lens constantly in various outdoor settings and frequently hike with it across beaches, rocks and marshes. I use a strap with QD connectors that connect to the lens foot. I carry the lens this way on hikes with the Z9 attached. It is my favorite birding lens and it gets a lot of use both on a tripod and hand held.

The lens has a very large front element that would be vulnerable if you used it with nothing in front. I doubt that a super expensive glass filter would provide meaningful protection, based on the tests and studies reported elsewhere in this thread.

The OEM lens hood on this lens is quite substantial and provides meaningful protection. The lens hood is very deep making it highly unlikely that any direct blow to the front of the lens would reach the front lens element. In addition the case that comes with the lens includes a leather type cover that fits over the lens while it is in the case. The case also has a very rigid, hard bottom which adds even more protection.

I bought my lens used from someone on this forum and the Zemlin lens cap had already been provided. The Zemlin lens cap is far more robust than any glass filter and adds additional meaningful protection. I would in fact feel safe carrying the lens without the hood as long as the Zemlin lens cover was in place. These caps also hold well.

I make a point of keeping the Zemlin cap on whenever I detach the hood. I have no worries about lens protection and I see no point in putting a flimsy and expensive glass filter in front of this majestic beast.

This is truly a wonderful lens that has worked miracles for me. I take good care of this baby because she takes good care of me.

I think there are different things you might want protection from and filters and lens hoods may provide more or less protection depending on the threat.

One class of issues is an object or the ground striking the front of the lens. Here I think a good lens hood is usually the best protection. And if you aren’t shooting, a good lens cap. I generally use Zemlin hoods and lens caps on my Z 800 PF and Z400 TC.

Another class of issues is smaller airborne stuff hitting the front of the lens: blowing sand, salt spray, fumes from thermal features. A lens hood, while still helpful, may provide less protection here. In these circumstances a filter in front of the lens might be useful, if of good quality. I bought the Kase add-on front filters for my Z 800 PF and Z 400 TC to use in these sorts of circumstances, if desirable.

Rain and snow is probably less risk to the the lens, but may affect the image. I use lens hoods to try to avoid getting rain or snow on the front element — the option to have a longer hood than Nikon’s OEM hood is one attraction to Zemlin hoods. Tends to work pretty well unless you are shooting up or straight into a blowing rain or snow. And here getting rain or snow on a front filter causes the same image issues as rain or snow on the front element does.

I was recently in Botswana on a wildlife trip. Used the Z 400 TC as my main lens. There was a fair amount of dust in the air. I did not use a front filter, just a Zemlin lens hood (and Zemlin lens cap when not shooting). I blew the dust off the lens periodically with a blower.

The only downside was the lens cap. It was still on my lens early one morning as we left camp. All of a sudden, we saw a rare brown hyena off to the side of the road. I raised my Z9 and Z 400 TC to take a photo and all was black. I forgot I had the lens cap still on. As I took the cap off, the hyena ran away, so no photo. Our guide was disappointed. He had been a national park ranger and guide in Botswana for over 20 years and it was only the third brown hyena he had seen. (Of course, this one was on me, not the lens cap.)

Back