NIKKOR 800 PF 6.3 Lens Filter???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When is important.
The 800mm is bare at the rear with no drop in 46mm thread filter holder.
As of now the only UK rear filter option is the drop in 46mm externally rotatable 46mm pol.
The C-PL 460 costs about £320 including 20% tax in the UK
I contacted Nikon Support and NPS trying to get a part number for the empty drop-in holder, as I like to keep one with an ND filter in it. I got nowhere. There's no part number for it in the documentation, and no indication that it is considered an accessory. Nikon suggested I look for after-market alternatives. KASE makes a replacement drop-in for these lenses, but haven't gone there yet.

= KASE makes a replacement drop-in for these lenses, but haven't gone there yet.
Neither a clear (my preference) or UV filter is listed as an option as yet - and using one if available slightly changes the lens minimum and infinity focus settings.

For better or worse the Nikon specification indicates an intention that the 800 PF will be regularly used without a drop in rear filter in place.

Neither a clear (my preference) or UV filter is listed as an option as yet - and using one if available slightly changes the lens minimum and infinity focus settings.

For better or worse the Nikon specification indicates an intention that the 800 PF will be regularly used without a drop in rear filter in place.
What would a clear drop in filter do for you?

What would a clear drop in filter do for you?
First I should have been more specific :mad:
The lens is supplied with a slot in filter holderthat does not contain a filter.
The filter holder has a filter thread for attaching filters of choice of the appropriate size.

With F mount lenses designed to include a rear filter within the optical design, Nikon include a clear NC in the supplied filter holder.
The rear optical element of long telephotos is often a few inches forward of the lens mount.
If dust gets in the rear of the lens perhaps when making lenses changes, I find a removable slot in NC filter is easier to clean than a deeply recessed rear element.

Last edited:
IME these big telephotos do not require a front protective filter, as the long hood works well in this role. Recent discussion here

When traveling I use the supplied soft cover, but a lens cap is also useful. Fortunately there're the excellent Zemlin solutions which replace the discontinued Aquatech rubber caps.

The filter slot of Nikon's 800mm f6.3S PF has its clip-in cover. As noted in many posts, Nikon has designed this telephoto without a clear internal filter, which is integral to the optical formula of their F-mount exotics, but it is threaded for ø 46mm filters EDIT - see next page

But dust does creep in under this filter cover, so I clean off this part regularly (good blow with compressed air) and it's important to insure it clicks back properly... This is definitely a part that's vulnerable to parting company with the lens! See here

I find an internal CPL is essential to cut reflections off the waxy leaves and water and other glare in savannas. It sure is an expensive gadget with no escape from the price! There's no Nikon made NC filter Holder for these exotic Z-mount telephotos, as the CPL46 design doesn't hold an easily removable CPL, but see links above.

Last edited:
First I should have been more specific :mad:
The lens is supplied with a slot in filter holderthat does not contain a filter.
The filter holder has a filter thread for attaching filters of choice of the appropriate size.

With F mount lenses designed to include a rear filter within the optical design, Nikon include a clear NC in the supplied filter holder.
The rear optical element of long telephotos is often a few inches forward of the lens mount.
If dust gets in the rear of the lens perhaps when making lenses changes, I find a removable slot in NC filter is easier to clean than a deeply recessed rear element.
Never experienced that with my 600 f/4E or my 800pf ... the lens holder is forward of the rear optical element in the 800pf so I just give it a quick blow off whenever I am attachning the lens.

The holder is definitely behind all the lens elements on my 800 PF - and also in the Nikon specification for the lens.

Are you perhaps looking at the 800mm F mount lens.

The holder (including a filter) is at the back of the 300 f2.8 VR and between lens elements on my 180-400.

The holder is definitely behind all the lens elements on my 800 PF - and also in the Nikon specification for the lens.

Are you perhaps looking at the 800mm F mount lens.

The holder (including a filter) is at the back of the 300 f2.8 VR and between lens elements on my 180-400.
You are correct it is behind the rear element in my 800mm pf.

My bad, I did not take it off the Z9 to look before my reply.

The lens has seldom left my Z9 since I got it 5-1-22.

I just blow off the back of the lens with back element facing down before putting it back on and since there was no filter in the holder I did not realise it was behind the rear element.

I have never even thought about putting a filter in there. When I got the 800pf I did notice unlike my 600 f/4E there was no clear filter in the holder and it was not listed as included by Nikon.

The manual for the 600 f/4E said the clear filter or other filter should be in place when using the lens but as you note the Z800mm Pf does not

The manual for the 600 f/4E said the clear filter or other filter should be in place when using the lens but as you note the Z800mm Pf does not
Any filter added or removed slightly changes the minimum focus and infinity focus settings.

As far as I know all the pre Z slot in filter lenses are intended to be used with the slot in filter in place.

As a rotating pol consists of 2 sheets of glass it is slightly thicker than an NC and slightly changes the minimum and infinity focus positions on the 800 PF.

Does anybody know if the 400 and 600 mm S primes have just a slot in holder; or come with a filter in the holder?

Any filter added or removed slightly changes the minimum focus and infinity focus settings.

As far as I know all the pre Z slot in filter lenses are intended to be used with the slot in filter in place.

As a rotating pol consists of 2 sheets of glass it is slightly thicker than an NC and slightly changes the minimum and infinity focus positions on the 800 PF.

Does anybody know if the 400 and 600 mm S primes have just a slot in holder; or come with a filter in the holder?
I read that in Z800 about slight change to focus settings but did not worry about is since I was not adding a clear filter and I have no use for a CPL on the Z800pf a run and gun birding lens.

Everybody is different t.
I sometimes use the 800 PF for landscapes.
We are and that is cool and why the Z9 has so many options :cool: .

Ironically I have taken some impromptu landscapes with the Z800 and my 600 f/4E in the past. Usually early morning from the top of a hill or mountain accross a broad expanse with lot's of layers :) But yes I was chasing birds at the time and a CPL would not have been the call for those anyway :) A fun "landscape with 600 f/4E
KM6_8103.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I received both the Kase drop in ND filter/cpl and the front element protector/UV-filter for my Z400/2.8TC today.

Both appear well engineers and very easy to acquire (unlike the Nikon drop in CPL)

While I will be testing both soon - my immediate reaction is while they are well engineered - at 225 grammes the front element proctor UV filter and lens cap is heavier than I was expecting -- however the lens cap is 85 grammes of this - so one is "only" adding 140 grammes to the FRONT of the lens.

Of "bigger" initial concern is the fact that the front filter fits into a ring that clamps inside the front of the lens and this takes space -- about 6mm thickness (I did not measure it) or 12mm diameter which is "quite a bit" -- I will try to see if this causes vignetting or has little/no effect.

Obviously using a CPL and this Kase one I believe one loses 1-2 EV in light transmission - compared to no filter. I will perform a few tests to try to see what the combined effect is.

I shoot for IndyCAR - shooting two races in April, and then the month of May leading up to the Indy 500 is busy almost every week ... so I can't manage that and the hood/cap business. I will be working on things though - some minor design updates are in the works, new 3D printers to improve my throughput, and building stock on the more popular items so I'll be ready to rock-and-roll when I open on June 1st.
Holler at me if you'll be in Detroit this year for the Grand Prix returning to the streets of Detroit. Would love to meet up. All the best, Karl. Love the lens cap you made for my 800PF.

I replied in your other thread on the same topic. I bought the Kase filter and plan to use it on my Z 800 PF only where extra protection might be needed — salt spray, blowing sand and the like. Will not use for most of my shooting with the lens. It seemed to work fine on a recent trip to Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island where we were photographing on the ocean (a motorized sail boat and zodiacs). I also use Zemlin hoods on my long lenses, including the Z 800 PF.
Are you able to use the Zemlin Cap with the Kase Filters? Finally ( 8 months) I have my 800 coming next week. I've seen arguments for no filters- but I have always felt better with a protection layer. I've seen another YouTube video from another photographer and I'm not sure if you can attach the Zemlin if you have a Kase UV filter attatched to the 800 6.3. Could you help me understand this better. I dont want to order the Zemlin if it does not work with the Kase filter in place. Thanx for your help.

Perhaps important - the 800 PF has a front "rubber bumper".
A small magnet I have does not adhere to the bumper area - or most of the lens - implying there is not much metal in the area where a magnetic filter/holder would attach.

Will a Kase filter of sufficient diameter to cover the lens, because of it's inevitable weight, stay in place during regular usage?.
I do not know - but doubt it.

Are you able to use the Zemlin Cap with the Kase Filters? Finally ( 8 months) I have my 800 coming next week. I've seen arguments for no filters- but I have always felt better with a protection layer. I've seen another YouTube video from another photographer and I'm not sure if you can attach the Zemlin if you have a Kase UV filter attatched to the 800 6.3. Could you help me understand this better. I dont want to order the Zemlin if it does not work with the Kase filter in place. Thanx for your help.
My cap fits into the end of the lens by 6mm. Hudson Henry did a youtube review of my stuff on the 800 and he mentions that my cap won't work with the KASE filters on that lens. I think the KASE kit comes with a magnetic cap.

Perhaps important - the 800 PF has a front "rubber bumper".
A small magnet I have does not adhere to the bumper area - or most of the lens - implying there is not much metal in the area where a magnetic filter/holder would attach.

Will a Kase filter of sufficient diameter to cover the lens, because of it's inevitable weight, stay in place during regular usage?.
I do not know - but doubt it.
Kase should work. There are two parts to a Kase magnetic setup. First there’s the magnetic ring that screws into the lenses filter thread, then there’s the filter itself that attaches magnetically. You’d simply unstick the filter when you’re done, leaving just the magnetic ring attached. I also have the magnetic front and rear caps that I put on the filter to put it in my trouser pocket - or elsewhere.

Kase should work. There are two parts to a Kase magnetic setup. First there’s the magnetic ring that screws into the lenses filter thread, then there’s the filter itself that attaches magnetically. You’d simply unstick the filter when you’re done, leaving just the magnetic ring attached. I also have the magnetic front and rear caps that I put on the filter to put it in my trouser pocket - or elsewhere.
Except there is no lens filter thread on the Z800mm

Back