Nikkor Z 800mm 6.3 VR S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Cr_wildlife
Heat distortion is matters.Slightly goes against the sharpness. At Ranthombare de sett or in Oman desert some times picture use come wavy. Vulturs on colors lying in desert due to mirage effects sabes in image.
Thanks Cr_wildlife.
atmospheric distortion happens whether the air temperature is cold or hot . It is the differential in temperature between the surface you are shoot over, snow, land, water etc. and the column of air above that surface. How much of the column of air and how far above the surface your target it all come into play. But the farther you are from the target the more atmosphere you are shooting through and the chances for distortion increase with the distance.

atmospheric distortion happens whether the air temperature is cold or hot . It is the differential in temperature between the surface you are shoot over, snow, land, water etc. and the column of air above that surface. How much of the column of air and how far above the surface your target it all come into play. But the farther you are from the target the more atmosphere you are shooting through and the chances for distortion increase with the distance.
Very well said. It’s just insidious, typically showing up in images when it’s not evident to the naked eye and unexpected. It’s even encountered in close quarters where there’s any kind of warm/cool air interfaces or mixing. I’ve gotten to where I check images right away for telltale signs before spending too much time shooting in suspect situations. It's also the first thing I check when images are uncharacteristically soft when there's no other apparent reason.

Last edited:
Very well said. It’s just insidious, typically showing up in images when it’s not evident to the naked eye and unexpected. It’s even encountered in close quarters where there’s any kind of warm/cool air interfaces or mixing. I’ve gotten to where I check images right away for telltale signs before spending too much time shooting in suspect situations.
I have helped a number of people over the years understand what was wrong with their images take from a vehicle (with heat or ac on), taken over the hood of a vehicle, taken from the door way of their house (ac or heated air rushing out to clash with warmer or colder air).

Back