Nikkor Z 800mm 6.3 VR S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Both the Nikon Z series 1.4x TC and 2x TC will work with this lens but as always the 1.4x TC will retain better quality than the 2x TC.

The 1.4x TC will turn this into an 1120mm f/9 lens when shot wide open and the 2x TC will turn this into a 1600mm f/13 lens when shot wide open.

Personally I probably would not shoot this lens with the 2x TC as a 1600mm lens is difficult to handle (hard to even find your subjects in the viewfinder) and if I need that much lens the subjects are likely too far away and I'd be shooting through too much atmosphere, haze, moisture, etc. assuming the subjects aren't completely tiny.

As Dave said, the 800pf will accept the 1.4x and 2x TC's with the typical caveats applied. FWIW I would never recommend the 800pf unless you already own and are very experienced with an 600mm lens of some sort. The 800pf is a very special beast.

The 800 pf works fine with both teleconverters. I agree with the comments about the 2x being a bit extreme.

I have taken shots with the 1.4x and been able to then crop those images and have excellent resolution.

I agree that you will need something shorter to go with this lens. 800 is too long for many things but if you need long this is the lens.

It is a bit of a beast to handle. Not impossibly heavy but really long especially with the hood which adds a lot to the length.

You can hand hold it but not for long. It works best with a tripod and gimbal.

Drwyoming, Garfield, wotan1,
I have not bought this beast yet, I have 2.0X tc. I have used 2.0 tc with my Z8 + 200-500 f5.6 - 6.3 F mout +FtZ on Z6!! And Z8 400 to 600 picture quality is white accetable.beyod that Not satisfactorily fine even with trip of and gimble.I agree on 1.4 X is the better option with 800mm6.3 VRS lense.
Thanks
Raju

Team Experts,
Please guide me on Nikkor 800mm 6.3 VR S lense with Z 8 and Z 6 ii ?
As this is a expensive. What will be TC will work with subject lense?
Raju
Wonderful lens. Offers excellent sharpness with a 1.4x TC, albeit at f/9. The bare lens is about the same weight as a 200-500 but much better balanced. It weighs a few ounces more with the TC. I usually handhold it. Between its VR and my Z9's IBIS, it's very steady. The bluebird was shot handheld with the 800mm and 1.4x TC. Note that I applied Topaz Denoise with some sharpening.

Alan

_Z911098ecDNAIClear2000SignsRGB.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Welcome to BCG
The ZTC14 performs better than the F-mount versions, and I'm pleased with my results on the 800 PF (comparisons here against 800 f5.6E). Mind you, the F-mount TC14 III and also TC2 III pair well with the exotic E FL primes: 400 f2.8E FL and 800 f5.6E FL in my experience.

In all cases, TCs are sensitive to subject distance and image cropping
Here's more on 800 PF and a thread about the Z Teleconverters

I have not bought this beast yet, I have 2.0X tc. I have used 2.0 tc with my Z8 + 200-500 f5.6 - 6.3 F mout +FtZ on Z6!! And Z8 400 to 600 picture quality is white accetable.beyod that Not satisfactorily fine even with trip of and gimble.I agree on 1.4 X is the better option with 800mm6.3 VRS lense.
Thanks
Raju
I agree…used both TCs on my 100-400, 400/4.5 and 600PF…and while there are some differences in IQ at 1:1…once downsampled to screen output size the differences largely disappear looking at the image as posted to the web…and what remain are more just different slightly rather than better or worse. I can’t really tell them apart at all with the 1.4…the 2.0 shows a bit more difference but certainly still very ac+eatable for my needs. For me…the exotic primes come with too much of a weight penalty for this old guy…there’s the $$ as well but I could easily afford them if I cared to have them, but the weight and the weight of the tripod and gimbal to really use them make too much to schlep around and my blushing bride has steadfastedly refused to Sherpa. She will serve as a tripod alternative…as long as I don’t want her to stand in the water, but that’s about it Along with getting stuff in and out of the backpack and holding things when needed.

Thanks
Raju
Just to be clear, the F mount 2x TC that you use with the 200-500 mm lens and an FTZ on your Z8 will not work on a Z mount lens like the Z 800 mm PF. Only the Z mount TCs will work on the Z 800 mm PF and other Z telephotos.

I have the two Z mount TCs. I find the Z 1.4x TC quite useful at times on the 800 mm PF (leaving you at 1120 mm f9). I have also used the Z 2x TC on the 800 mm PF (leaving you at 1600 mm f13) — on a tripod to photograph great blue heron nestlings at 85 to 125 yards at a nearby rookery. It’s more specialized with a few more compromises.

I think the Z mount TCs are a bit better than the F mount TCs. I use them with several other Z telephotos.

I’ve photographed bald eagles along the Mississippi in winter — soaring and diving to the water surface for fish — with my Z 800 mm PF, both with the bare lens and with the Z 1.4x TC. Handheld. No issues tracking the eagles. Of course they are not the fastest or most erratic flyers.

I’ve also photographed great blue herons, great egrets, double crested cormorants, Canada geese, and various ducks in flight along a different stretch of the Mississippi in the spring with the 800 mm PF, with and without the 1.4x TC. Again worked great. Generally closer than the eagles I mentioned.

In both cases, using a Z9. Happy with the results when I want more focal length. Of course, you lose a stop of aperture. Beyond that, the only issue was, with the TC, it meant sometimes I had too much focal length. And you can’t change an external TC quickly as you could with an internal TC on a Z 400 TC or Z 600 TC. I often have a second body (Z8) set up and with me with a shorter lens attached to deal with this, depending on circumstances.

I have not tried the Z 800, with or without TC, with faster, more erratic flyers like swallows. I’ve shot swallows with a Z9, FTZ, 500 mm PF and F 2x TCIII (1000 mm at f11). That worked well too. If I could keep the bird in the frame (a challenge at 1000 mm), the camera and lens did a good job of focusing. I’d expect the Z9 and Z 800 mm PF, with and without the Z 1.4 x TC to do better.

I am relatively new to the BIF game with the 800mm but I have already have had success.

A lot depends on which birds, how far away and where are they flying.

I also prefer to do this on a well balanced gimbal as a lens the size of the 800 pf is easier to maneuver.

On shots where the bird is moving more or less parallel to the shooting position it is fairly easy to track with the Z9 with bird subject detection even with the 1.4 tc added. I have shot cruising predators that way including eagles, harrier hawks and short ear owls. Birds that fly overhead or in erratic patterns are more difficult. It is also easier to track them if you have them in frame when they first take off.

Wotan1
Agreed to you ! It is fine to locate and follow their flying path of owl kites, eagles these birds have very rhythmic pattern and glides in air. That is the very pleasant experience.but bird like Swift,Robin, indian green parrots, Indian paradise flycatcher or green beans eater has erratic flying style. To catch that BIF is challenge. I waisted ample time to capture it by video. But those are so fast even 30 fps is also not possible to me. Not crystal clear image. I asked to my friends in Bharat (India) simple answer if luck is falling at your side.
Thanks for sharing .

I’ve photographed bald eagles along the Mississippi in winter — soaring and diving to the water surface for fish — with my Z 800 mm PF, both with the bare lens and with the Z 1.4x TC. Handheld. No issues tracking the eagles. Of course they are not the fastest or most erratic flyers.

I’ve also photographed great blue herons, great egrets, double crested cormorants, Canada geese, and various ducks in flight along a different stretch of the Mississippi in the spring with the 800 mm PF, with and without the 1.4x TC. Again worked great. Generally closer than the eagles I mentioned.

In both cases, using a Z9. Happy with the results when I want more focal length. Of course, you lose a stop of aperture. Beyond that, the only issue was, with the TC, it meant sometimes I had too much focal length. And you can’t change an external TC quickly as you could with an internal TC on a Z 400 TC or Z 600 TC. I often have a second body (Z8) set up and with me with a shorter lens attached to deal with this, depending on circumstances.

I have not tried the Z 800, with or without TC, with faster, more erratic flyers like swallows. I’ve shot swallows with a Z9, FTZ, 500 mm PF and F 2x TCIII (1000 mm at f11). That worked well too. If I could keep the bird in the frame (a challenge at 1000 mm), the camera and lens did a good job of focusing. I’d expect the Z9 and Z 800 mm PF, with and without the Z 1.4 x TC to do better.
Not as favorable experience with the z8/800 for eagles in flight and while I managed some amazing captures, the af is markedly inferior to the z9. Whatever af mode was used, the z8 frequently mis focused any time the birds transitioned from sky to tree background or dives into the water. Hopefully, the fw update will correct these issues and it is no fault of the lens.

I am sure when the Z9 bird subject recognition is brought to the Z8 people with that camera will be quite happy.

Now where is that firmware update that was predicted to come available in December.

I find the Z800 PF easily handheld and with the Zemlin two- piece replacement hood, no more cumbersome to walk about with than the Z180-600. It is my “goto” lens. Reading reviews and comments about the Z800 earlier on this site almost made me not buy
IMG_8744.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
the Z800. As a Canon R5 owner before getting the Z9, I was somewhat regretting making the switch back to Nikon. However, since I have the Z800 I am content knowing this is perhaps the best camera value available today. Don’t let negative comments about the Z800 guide you away from getting it. It is a fantastic handheld lens. Just get a smaller hood!…(I only use one half of the Zemlin hood and that is for lens protection.)

I could not be happier with the 800PF which I use with a Z9. It's a very sharp Nikon prime.

Since the lens is a 6.3 I try not to use a TC as shooting at f9 is not my preference. As regards sharpness with a 1.4 TC, results are certainly good in my opinion, but not "as good" as without.

What really helps me deal with the 6.3 in low-light situations, is the higher ISO capabilities of the Z-9. An occasional tweak with Topaz DeNoise is helpful but I do not care for the Topaz Sharpening software. It's too much for my taste even at its lowest setting.

I find the Z800 PF easily handheld and with the Zemlin two- piece replacement hood, no more cumbersome to walk about with than the Z180-600. It is my “goto” lens. Reading reviews and comments about the Z800 earlier on this site almost made me not buy View attachment 78370the Z800. As a Canon R5 owner before getting the Z9, I was somewhat regretting making the switch back to Nikon. However, since I have the Z800 I am content knowing this is perhaps the best camera value available today. Don’t let negative comments about the Z800 guide you away from getting it. It is a fantastic handheld lens. Just get a smaller hood!…(I only use one half of the Zemlin hood and that is for lens protection.)
There were some early comparison threads and reviews between the 800 PF and F mount 800 f/5.6, that included images which, IMO, weren't really representative of the 800 PF's IQ. The Photography Life review is a case in point. https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-800mm-f-6-3-vr-s. While it offered a reasonably balanced review of the lens's handling and 16' MFD (typical, BTW, for a prime lens of that focal length), I thought the optical evaluation was not very helpful. Most of the sample images were clearly impacted by atmospherics. By contrast, the field review by experienced wildlife photographer Brad Hill did a much better job of displaying the lens's sharpness, overall image quality and hand-holdability. http://naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/fieldtest_Z800mmPF.html#Z800_Optical.

While there are several ways of achieving excellent IQ at 700-840mm at a slightly faster f/5.6, including a 400mm f/2.8 with 2x TC, 500mm f/4E with 1.4x TC, 600mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, or 800mm f/5.6, the 800mm f/6.3 PF is by far the lowest cost (based on new retail prices). And I really appreciate the relatively lower weight and excellent balance for hand-holding. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Last edited:
I am relatively new to "long lens" photography. I purchased my first "400 plus" lens less than two years ago. Now I own three Z long primes, 400mm 4.5, 600mm pf and 800mm pf.

I have learned that shooting with long lenses requires special care to get the sharp images these lenses are capable of producing.

Camera stability is very important, as are atmospheric effects and the physical distance to the subject. VR does not help with movement by the subject and birds are notably twitchy.
I learned a lot about proper technique in particular from the Steve Perry guides and recommendations found on this site.

It all is working for me, I understand these lenses better now and I am getting a lot of keepers on all my shoots.

Now most of my shooting is at longer focal lengths and the 800mm pf has become one of my favorite lenses.

The biggest problem I have now is winter. I live in Seattle and this time of year the sun sets before 4:30.

Steve has not been helpful there. I have not found any suggestions on his guides on how to get tack sharp images shooting flying birds on a pitch dark night.

Steve needs to get his act together here. :)

I agree with all that has been said about the quality of the 800PF. The one point that has been made that I would like to emphasize relates the the distance from the subject. This lens gives you great reach and 800mm and even more reach with the 1.4x TC. However, as the distance to the subject increases, so does the amount of air through which you are shooting. This makes even the slightest amount of heat distortion add up to a soft image. I found this to be a real problem at 1140mm and can't even imagine how bad it will be at 1600mm. Yes, you can get great shots, but if there is even there is minimal temperature differences in the air, you will see it in you photos. Keep this in mind when shooting at far away subjects.

Related to the TC's ... What @DRwyoming said.

I am a bird ID photographer always on the move in a wide range of habitats and always hand held. I have had the Z800pf since 5-1-22 and it is by far my most used lens. I have 1.4 and 2.0 tc's and tested them on the Z800 when I first got it but have never used either of them on it in the field.

Thanks
Raju
Thanks Drwyoming,
My experience saying the same with 1.4 tc. I noticed with the 2.0x tc. Gives to catch very long distance tiny bird ,the image get sharp to some accepted limit after that image grains starts scattered. cropped images of big subject like big animal image can crop to satisfactory image better than tiny bird's image.
My conclusion is 1.4 works better for small subject which can be blow up
Sharply.
About 2.0 X for big subject is pretty good result.
Thanks
Draining.

I agree with all that has been said about the quality of the 800PF. The one point that has been made that I would like to emphasize relates the the distance from the subject. This lens gives you great reach and 800mm and even more reach with the 1.4x TC. However, as the distance to the subject increases, so does the amount of air through which you are shooting. This makes even the slightest amount of heat distortion add up to a soft image. I found this to be a real problem at 1140mm and can't even imagine how bad it will be at 1600mm. Yes, you can get great shots, but if there is even there is minimal temperature differences in the air, you will see it in you photos. Keep this in mind when shooting at far away subjects.
Cr_wildlife
Heat distortion is matters.Slightly goes against the sharpness. At Ranthombare de sett or in Oman desert some times picture use come wavy. Vulturs on colors lying in desert due to mirage effects sabes in image.
Thanks Cr_wildlife.

Back