Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just goes to prove Nikon cannot please everyone. Some people find a removable tripod collar a plus, whereas others would prefer a built-in collar. I have had both on lenses over the years and honestly not sure which I prefer, but maybe removable because it gets rid of the knob when you don't need it?

Just goes to prove Nikon cannot please everyone. Some people find a removable tripod collar a plus, whereas others would prefer a built-in collar. I have had both on lenses over the years and honestly not sure which I prefer, but maybe removable because it gets rid of the knob when you don't need it?
also some weight.

I agree... I guess this all depends on how you like to shoot. I still prefer to work from a tripod whenever possible. I find that it increases the number of well composed images I make. On the S lenses, the knob is fairly discrete and the foot easily slides off.

bruce

Really sweet series Lance... I love the pair of little lorikeets and fairy wren... I'm going to have to find a way to meet you up in Australia one of these days.
I'm wondering if, like me, you are reaching less for your other lenses now that you have the 180-600. My 400 f4.5 has been used only once since getting the 180-600, and the 800PF is only used to pull more distant subjects in or during shoots where its increased focal length will be deemed necessary.
This $1700 lens is a marvel... while it is a little slower to find focus, I have yet to see how its optics are a "real" compromise after doing a minimum of post-processing.
cheers,
bruce
Thank you very much, Bruce. Much appreciated!
Please do come visiting, would love to meet up! :)
Like you, I have rarely used the 500 pf much lately - it is only used when I need to go small and light adding the 1.4x TCIII instead of taking the 800pf as it doesn't fit into my Mindshift Backlight 26lt. At 300-500 the zoom is sharp as a tack and at 600 it loses a tad but is still fantastic. More than happy to have it in my bag.

One as the sun was setting...

Red-tailed HawkZ8L_7926.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've had my lens for about a month, and I haven't been able to get out with it much....but here are a few I've taken so far.

_Z816782-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_Z810834-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_z819672-enhanced-nr-jpg.75367
_Z811053-Enhanced-NR.jpg
_Z819362.jpg

Attachments

• _Z819672-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _Z819672-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 772
An aside ... the Nikon CL-L2 Lens Case ( just came in stock with Nikon UK) is a perfect fit for the Z8/Z9 with the lens attached AND with the hood attached. Reversing the hood gains a few inches - as seen in the image attached ... so one could add a TC ... it comes with a padded lens filter case which neatly fits that gap.
No affiliation at all, just Info.

It also comes with very good padding - not shown in the first image (oops)

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

I had a chance to test my new 186 on a recent trip to San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. I was always shooting in low light so these images are high iso. Most are significantly cropped (for some reason I was at 460 instead of 600 for the owl--I need to get used to using a zoom). Despite my poor technique and the poor conditions I thought the lens performed well and will be a good companion to my 800pf.

Attachments

• DSC_5873-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC_5873-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_6041.jpg
    DSC_6041.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_7061-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC_7061-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_7651-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC_7651-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 98
I had a chance to test my new 186 on a recent trip to San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. I was always shooting in low light so these images are high iso. Most are significantly cropped (for some reason I was at 460 instead of 600 for the owl--I need to get used to using a zoom). Despite my poor technique and the poor conditions I thought the lens performed well and will be a good companion to my 800pf.
During the trip, where did you get these shots? (I am around the area of S.F. and LT.)

During the trip, where did you get these shots? (I am around the area of S.F. and LT.)
The Great Horned Owl and White-crowned Sparrow were in Lafayette Park in SF. There is actually a pair of owls there now. Lafayette Park is often a great place for birds (humming birds, warblers, Acorn Woodpeckers, a resident Red-tail Hawk, etc.). The Mallard was feeding along the shore of Kings Beach in North Lake Tahoe. The California Scrub-Jay was on the trail to Monkey Rock near Incline Village.

I had forgotten there was a dedicated thread for the 180-600 and posted this sequence in it's own thread on Wildlife Presentations.

A selection of shots from a 34 shot sequence of an Osprey being harassed by a Magpie. The earlier shots cropped more than the latter shots, the last with little cropping. I only included the Magpie in the shots that had it close to the Osprey or the Magpie was not partly cut off.

Z9 + 180-600, all at 600mm f7.1 and 1/3200sec with various ISO's from 1400 to 3600.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
Cool shots !

Some recent 180-600 shots.

1) Rainbow Bee-eater, female. She is a bit dirty as she and her mate have been digging their burrow/nest in the sand bank.

Z8 + 180-600, 1/320s f/6.0 at 350.0mm iso2500

original.jpg

2) Turquoise Parrot, male.

Z8 + 180-600, 1/500s f/6.3 at 600.0mm iso1600

original.jpg

3) Zebra Finch, male.

Z8 + 180-600, 1/320s f/6.3 at 600.0mm iso5000

original.jpg

4) Turquoise Parrot, male.

Z8 + 180-600, 1/250s f/6.0 at 400.0mm iso1800

original.jpg

5) Little Lorikeet

Z8 + 180-600, 1/400s f/6.0 at 450.0mm iso2500

original.jpg

6) Little Lorikeets

Z8 + 180-600, 1/400s f/6.3 at 600.0mm iso560

original.jpg

7) Variegated Fairywren

Z8 + 180-600, 1/400s f/6.3 at 600.0mm iso250

original.jpg
Way cool

Z91_3387.jpg
Z91_3400.jpg
Z91_3466.jpg
Z91_3473.jpg
Z91_3547.jpg
My Z800pf is my primary bird ID lens and have not used my Z180-600 much since I got it 9-5-23. I grabbed it to step outside at my apartment and take some shots when trying out my new ProGrade CFexpress™ Type B 4.0 Memory Card (Gold) 512GB in Z9's. By the way the cards are blazingly fast, no buffer issues with RAW at 20fps and drag and drop download from CFexpress Type B Single-Slot Reader (PG05.6) to my desk top on Apple Mac Studio M1Max blaszingly fast. Noticed no hot cards from camera or reader.

Not much around but a squirrel checking to see if we had blown out the sprinklers and a couple of Song Sparrows and a House Sparrow. The Z180-600 stacks up to any variable focal length lens I have owned with at least 500mm on the long end and that includes Nikon 200-500, Sigma 150- and 60 -600 sports and Tamron 150-600 G2 (my favorite from my DSLR days).

Back