Nikon 180-600 Sharpness And AF Speed Tests!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Its not about comparing to see which one you want. Its about comparing the new lens to a known quantity..... the 200-500 is EXTREMELY popular in that price range and provides a good baseline for understanding the 180-600s capabilities.
Sure…it is common…but to be fair Steve doesn’t have one and there are a bunch of comparisons of the 500PF and the 200-500 around including both AF speed, features, and IQ…and he was up front about not including the latter. Your point about all the other comparisons being skipped as well based on other comparisons is valid…but he can only do what he can do. And…despite the 200-500 being pretty good optically…it’s limitations and issues are pretty well documented…but if he doesn’t have one or one he could have easily borrowed I’m not sure not including it is a big problem. Everyone knows by now that the Z lenses are pretty much across the board better and lighter than their F counterparts and why…larger throat, closer flange distance, and better optical design software than was available 10 years back when it was designed and the Z lenses maybe 4 years back when design started. But as he said…it came down to what he had and I think he said in the video he would have included it if he had one…and I, like probably more than half of Z body owners although I’ve not seen any statistics on it…have moved entirely to Z lenses because they’re just better. I know budget is part of the issue on keeping older glass as well as shapers does the output go and shooting style…but the continuing short supply of Z lenses tells me people are buying them.

@Steve have you done an official sharpness test between the 400mm 4.5 with TC vs the 500pf by any chance, or do you have an opinion on the comparison IQ wise?
I didn’t do anything but an eyeball test for screen sized output…and it’s an a to b and b to c comparison…but I saw little to no difference between the 500PF and the 100-400 and the 400 is a noticeable but not very noticeable better than the zoom. A little more difference in both cases at 1:1…but while pixel peeping is nice at screen output sizes it’s all downsampled anyway and that pretty much obscures any sharpness differences. Slight differences in bokeh and backgrounds of course…but to my eye in both cases it was “different” rather than “better/worse”. I can’t remember whether I got rid of the 500 before the 400 arrived or the other way around…but my LR test folder doesn’t have any head to head shots so I’m guessing it was before.

This is a great comparison review Steve, thank you for sharing all the data. The one thing that really surprised me was just how badly the 400 4.5 does when paired with TCs compared to all the other lenses. I have one, have used it with both the 1.4 and 2x and results have been mixed. I thought maybe it was me or maybe my copy but the native focal range is very sharp so this seems to confirm this lens just doesnt perform very well with the TCs.
It works fine for me with the 1.4 and while it’s acceptable with the 2.0 its rare that I use the 2.0 over just cropping or doing a more environmental shot…but my output goes almost exclusively to the screen and peeping isn’t something I obsess over. I mostly use the 400 bare because it’s light but have the TC in my pocket just in case.

@Steve have you done an official sharpness test between the 400mm 4.5 with TC vs the 500pf by any chance, or do you have an opinion on the comparison IQ wise?
Virtually identical without a TC.
400 with a TC vs the naked 500PF, it's close but the 500PF edges it out.
500PF with a 1.4 (700mm) and 400 with a 2X (800mm), the 500 PF wins by sort of a landslide.

I enjoyed this video and yes I could see the differences you were describing. Watched it on a 27" apple studio display (calibrated with spyder x elite) and attached to Apple Mac Studio M1 max this combination lets me see most of my photo boo boos also :)
LOL, that's what I used for the capture screen!

This is a great comparison review Steve, thank you for sharing all the data. The one thing that really surprised me was just how badly the 400 4.5 does when paired with TCs compared to all the other lenses. I have one, have used it with both the 1.4 and 2x and results have been mixed. I thought maybe it was me or maybe my copy but the native focal range is very sharp so this seems to confirm this lens just doesnt perform very well with the TCs.
I've heard mixed things too. In my experience, most zooms just don't play all that well with TCs. I'm honestly surprised how well the 180-600 does with the 1.4,

My wife still has not let me use "our" 400 f/4.5 ... it pretty much lives on her Z7II .... she is not a BIF person and loves the light weight combo.

My most common, yet seldom, use for the Z100-400 is in the 100 to 200 mm range and used for portraits and quasi macro. My Z180-600 will not replace that part of the Z100-400 but with close in small birds including zippy swallows etc. and where I want that variable focal length the Z180-600 with that extra 200mm of focal length will be my choice.

Biggest thing I miss with the Z180-600 is not having a control ring I can program for exposure compensation (EV) change. I want the ring that I have for manual focus assist when I need the speed in tough focus situations (happens less oftern now with Z9 at firm ware 4.1) and to get on a bird deep in the bushes.

For all around bird ID photography out here in Southern Idaho where the distance to my subjects, of all sizes from Calliope Hummingbirds to Golden Eagles, is usually farther rather than closer. I am also normally on foot birding in rough terrain and in quickly changing habitat and lighting the Z800 will still live on one of my Z9's.
It's actually missing the focus ring :)

By default, with that lens attached, the control ring acts as focus, but you can use it for exp comp too. This is one of my pet peeves with Nikon TBH (I write about it in my guide, in fact). The problem is, if you have more than one lens, there's a good chance you have different controls on each. It throws ergonomic consistency out the window. I'd rather Nikon took Sony's approach and keep the lens controls more or less consistent and simple and put an extra dial or two on the camera. There's room right next to the top LCD for one, in fact :)

It's actually missing the focus ring :)

By default, with that lens attached, the control ring acts as focus, but you can use it for exp comp too. This is one of my pet peeves with Nikon TBH (I write about it in my guide, in fact). The problem is, if you have more than one lens, there's a good chance you have different controls on each. It throws ergonomic consistency out the window. I'd rather Nikon took Sony's approach and keep the lens controls more or less consistent and simple and put an extra dial or two on the camera. There's room right next to the top LCD for one, in fact :)
LOL I never even paid attention to what Nikon called it I just new what it did out oft the box and it was the only ring on the lens that did it :)

Yes I have read the in your guide and agree it is frustrating and puzzling. Thought about what you had written yesterday. I am the photographer for our congregation and was using Z24-120 at our last outdoor picnic of the year after service. Manual focus and control rings 24-120 but not on the 180-600 where I will make changes to EV more often and the ergonomics of my hand holding style cry out for another lens ring :) Oh well it is a great bang for the buck lens.

Quick sharpness comparison. I was out photographing Hurricane Lee and the Minot Light. The Minot Light is about 2 miles off the South Shore of Massachusetts. I grabbed my Z9, my 600mm f/4 with FIIZ and 2.0xTC (shot at 1200mm), and the Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 and 1.4xTC (shot at 840mm, ). I cropped the images and scaled to approximately the same size. I have to admit, I was very impressed with the sharpness of the 180-600.
Hurricane Lee-Minot_Light.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Quick sharpness comparison. I was out photographing Hurricane Lee and the Minot Light. The Minot Light is about 2 miles off the South Shore of Massachusetts. I grabbed my Z9, my 600mm f/4 with FIIZ and 2.0xTC (shot at 1200mm), and the Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 and 1.4xTC (shot at 840mm, ). I cropped the images and scaled to approximately the same size. I have to admit, I was very impressed with the sharpness of the 180-600.
View attachment 69929
The 600 is sharper, but man, the zoom did pretty well!

I could sure live with that zoom shot!

The 600 is sharper, but man, the zoom did pretty well!
All of the comparisons I’ve seen with more expensive primes in its focal range show it to perform quite well. So much so that I’m surprised (very happily!) that Nikon hasn’t priced the 180-600 lens higher.

As another data point, I offer Thom Hogan's review of Nikon Z long lenses (sans the 180-600, of course). Illuminating, though one has to be careful not to over think Thom's use of 'Best', 'Acceptable', and 'Worst'. He's comparing the lenses against each other, and one listed as 'Worst' may be more than usable to many of us.

heard mixed things too. In my experience, most zooms just don't play all that well with TCs. I'm honestly surprised how well the 180-600 does with the 1.4,
Good to know how well this lens performs specially with its low price.
Nikon should pay you a commission on every copie they sell! So many people were waiting for your review to buy this lens.

Don't know how much this affects decisions, but the 180-600 is 4lbs 11oz, the 100-400 is 3lbs 2 oz, the 400 f4.5 is 2lbs 12oz. For reference the 500 PF is 3.12 lbs, almost identical to the 100-400.

I loved how you said not to watch everything as it was a long presentation and to only watch the ones you needed to.

I kept thinking I would do that, but you just made it too much fun to watch and pretty soon, it was done.

I am very glad my lens is on order, wish I had ordered it sooner...

By the way, hope you're ready for all of the wrath that's going to be heaped on you for saying that focus speed isn't as important in the field as people make it out to be :eek:

LOL, as a bona fida geezer, I will not be one to complain about the extra time to focus. I only work at two speeds, and if my top speed of slow isn't good enough, you will really hate my other speed...

I loved how you said not to watch everything as it was a long presentation and to only watch the ones you needed to.

I kept thinking I would do that, but you just made it too much fun to watch and pretty soon, it was done.

I am very glad my lens is on order, wish I had ordered it sooner...
I like my 180-600 after using it birding one time but it will play second fiddle to my Z800.

Back