Nikon 4.1 Firmware - Initial Field Report

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon just released firmware 4.1 for the Z9 and it includes a brand new subject detection option for birds!

I was fortunate enough to have my Nikon rep bring me a camera with a pre-release sample for some test shooting in Florida and I can't wait to share what I found.

In this video, I'll cover everything I learned, talk about the improvements, give you tips for using it, and more. I'll also talk about when to use the Bird option vs. the Animal option when photographing our feathered friends (there's a trick to it). Oh, and Z8 shooters will see this update sometime during the first half of 2024.

Check it out!

Download Link:

How To Update Firmware:

Full Press Release:

MELVILLE, NY (October 4, 2023)
– Nikon is pleased to announce the release of firmware version 4.10 for its flagship full-frame/FX-format mirrorless camera, the Nikon Z 9.

New dedicated [Birds] and [Airplanes] subject detection options have been added with firmware version 4.10. The [Birds] option increases overall detection performance for birds. In addition to increased detection and AF performance with complicated and high-contrast backgrounds such as forests and rocky mountains, this option adds the ability to quickly detect birds in various states, including flying, perched, and even those with unique-looking appearances. Tracking performance with rapidly moving birds are also increased for a smooth shooting experience that ensures you will never miss a crucial moment when photographing birds. Adding the same [Airplanes] option built into the Nikon Z 8 enables reliable detection of airplanes regardless of their size. This option offers increased detection capabilities with dark scenes and those that include busy backgrounds.

Furthermore, in a firmware update planned for release in the first half of 2024 for the Nikon Z 8, the dedicated bird subject detection option will be added, alongside the airplane option available from the camera’s initial release. Other improvements in functionality are also planned.

Nikon will continuously meet users' needs through firmware updates that expand the functionality of its cameras. The latest firmware and instructions for download and installation can be found here.

It's great to see how the leading camera companies are supporting, in fact even prioritizing wildlife photography judging by recent telephotos and software features. Their marketing research analysts seem to be prioritizing products to attract bird photographers in particular.
It will interesting to stress test the eye detection of this new Firmware on the most unusual morphological cases: of bird species, in challenging habitats - like the heron face on in your video.

This test is nearly a year old, so obviously an earlier Z9 firmware:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video. I use a Canon R7 and when photographing birds in flight I have difficulty filling the frame. It's me not the gear. I'm just not skilled enough to get the bird to fill the frame. I tend to zoom out [ use a Sigma 150-600 C ] and crop in post. In the video you show at 3.23 a photo of a dark bird that comes close to filling the frame. Can you do that consistently? I'm not able to do that, then again I'll never win a gold medal in the Olympics at table tennis. For that particular shot it seems to me that the skill you have allows for an excellent result whether the camera is focusing on the body or the eye.
Thanks again for sharing the video.

Earlier today I briefly tested this v4.10 Bird-mode on male Southern Red Bishop Birds in nuptial plumage - see example below taken some years ago with a D7200. They visit the bird table for millet, and are in easy reach of the 800 PF.
To date, I've found the colouring of the very dark eye against the glossy black head challenges the eye detection, so the Z9 usually only shows the head focus box or jumps to the wing.
Today, using RSF [Hold] to toggle between Animal and Bird modes showed similar results to the scenes in Steve's video.
Definite advantage to Bird mode on this species :)

Red Bishop male DSC_8588 rd TCE20 II) 300_2.8.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Holy cr@p, I am validated. Thank you, Steve and thank you Nikon! Just bring it on for the Z8. A couple of quick points and observations:
1) What AF area modes were you employing, and did you notice better performance in one over the other?
2) Your observations regarding the tendency to want to jump to a more proximal moving target (namely the grasses) is not unusual in my experience with nearly every subject detection AF system. Does this still occur if you switch to a smaller AF area such as a wide small?

Again, thank you for posting this so quickly and while I could say something to all of those who throwing knives at me in another thread. I aspire to be a better person.

Back