Nikon 600mm PF 6.3 lens, foot mount (mount base) coming loose

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

interesting they use blue and not purple the weaker version for small screws

that is excellent news because if the lens had to be repaired under warranty and they had trouble getting them out they can blame the blue loctite

Last edited:
I already own a proper torque bit driver , so I will be setting the torque to 1.59 inch lbs (converted from 18 Nm) and properly set the 4 screws with loctite Blue. If your looking for a small yet handy driver, the wheeler brand is very good quality and reliable. See here: Wheeler Manual Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench with Inch/Pounds Measurement, Bits and Storage Case for Scope Mounting, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://a.co/d/2CSrKCP

the screwdriver is so small that i tightened them all i could with blue loctite and done .

but like i said dont use a philips .
it feels like it fits but the taper is very different and it wont sit deep enough to really tighten and not damage the slots.

i think the screwdriver itself wont let you over tighten it because the handle is very small

Thanks for heads up. I got this lens recently, but I rarely use the foot. Most of the time I shoot it handheld and I remove the foot completely to save weight, which means I don't even carry it by the foot, so hopefully mine won't develop this issue. I have a great local camera repair shop who could tighten it for me for free, but if I am on a trip and this happens...
I got the lens recently and am thinking of doing the same, removing the foot completely and carrying the setup with strap connected to the body . The mount should be able to handle 3lbs hanging off of it , right?

I got the lens recently and am thinking of doing the same, removing the foot completely and carrying the setup with strap connected to the body . The mount should be able to handle 3lbs hanging off of it , right?
How do you connect the strap to the lens body if you remove the foot and the collar (foot mount)? Or do you mean connect to the camera body? I would say no, no for that way. As you carry the combo by the strap, it will swing and I doubt the camera mount can tolerate or endure.

I do have my strap connected to the camera body, though when I am walking I generally hold the camera and lens in my hand. I hang the strap off one shoulder (not around my neck) when I am standing, though sometimes I leave it there while walking but hold the lens with one hand as well for extra support.

I think the 2mm Phillips screwdriver is close in size to a JIS #0.
the pitch is different in the JIS screws which are the japanese industry standard heads .

the screw head is a cross slot and not tapered like a philips head .

a philips appears to fit but does not seat all the way down .

so when you torque it you are not deep enough and risk damaging the cross slits

Last edited:
the pitch is different in the JIS screws which are the japanese industry standard heads .

the screw head is a cross slot and not tapered like a philips head .

a philips appears to fit but does not seat all the way down .

so when you torque it you are not deep enough and risk damaging the cross slits

Good stuff. Why then do you think Nikon recommends a Philips screw driver (2mm). Are these even JIS screws as many of these lenses/bodies are manufactured in Thailand or China? Even if Nikon uses JIS screws wh one would think that they would suggest using the proper driver.

Good stuff. Why then do you think Nikon recommends a Philips screw driver (2mm). Are these even JIS screws as many of these lenses/bodies are manufactured in Thailand or China? Even if Nikon uses JIS screws wh one would think that they would suggest using the proper driver.

yes these are japanese cross slot heads . if you shine a light in side you can see they are a straight taper , philips has the point tapering to an angle inside.

thats why a philips looks like it fits but it’s not grabbing down in side the head so it puts a lot of force on the top of the screw ..

it isn’t the first time instructions are wrong .

my buddy does jet engine repairs and many times the wrong tools are listed , but in that case they need to get them revised before. proceeding and can’t just use the correct tool, we can

Back