Nikon 600PF First Look Field Review!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

when will preorders start????
Price in Europe is really steep, 5800 eur in Germany and even higher elsewhere. With this pricing, I think it really should have been f5.6 lens.
Does European prices include taxes (Vat) while US prices do not. In the Chicago area we pay 10% sales tax ..

Nice job again @Steve . Only question that remains after watching is: Why does it rain every time you do one of the early reviews?

I love this graphic at the end of the video. It took them a while but Nikon has definitely knocked it out of the park with the long glass.

On edit: 800PF + 600PF + 400 4.5 = $14,550. 600TC alone = $15,500. Where should I spend the other $950?

View attachment 71484
TC 1.4 z and TC 2.0 z??? or perhaps 2 TC 1.4 z

Price in Europe is really steep, 5800 eur in Germany and even higher elsewhere. With this pricing, I think it really should have been f5.6 lens.
Yes, I agree. Regradless of whether you care about the benefits that F5.6 offers over F6.3, or actually prefer the lower weight and smaller size of this lens at F6.3, the price is too high, and makes this lens poor value compared to the Z800PF as well as the F mount 500PF, no matter how sharp it may be or how small and light.

At this price, it really should have had F5.6 as max. aperture. Nikon overpriced this one.

when will preorders start????

Does European prices include taxes (Vat) while US prices do not. In the Chicago area we pay 10% sales tax ..
Price listings in Europe are always with sales tax included indeed. The amount varies a bit from country to country. In my case (Belgium), it's 21%, which is about average.

After some more consideration (the lens does tick the right boxes for me, even if it's fairly pricy), I put in a preorder at my local retailer. I'm sure the option to preorder will start becoming available everywhere soon enough.

In Canada , it is 6500 Canadian. I don’t know why there is too much difference compare to US price, when we take in consideration the exchange rate. Does not make sens.

As others have said, this confirms to me that if I buy another tele lens it will be the 800 PF.
I already own the 400 + 1.4 tc and this new lens doesn't offer that much over this combination, for what is an eye-watering price.

I love my 500mm f5.6 pf. For me, the question becomes whether I should get the 600mm pf or the 800pf ? The smaller size and weight for me at age 80 will likely make me choose the 600mm pf. If I were 50 or 60, I would likely get the 800mm pf to avoid cropping to get to the final image.

Great video Steve. Thanks for all of the comparison chart data too.

Where were you for this shoot down here in FL? A lot of the sample shots look like they are at Black Point…but given your short time frame you probably didn’t waste too much of it driving around and some of them like the boardwalk ones were unfamiliar to me.

This is what I'm feeling too, the 180-600mm and the 800mm PF seem like a good combo especially given the same aperture... Coming from APS-C with a 150-600mm I was very often at the long end, and in situations where I need flexibility 600mm will be too long.
Yeah…for me I’m thinking that the 180-600 (if 8t ever gets here for me) and the 70-200 are going to be a very nice SW FL combo for maximum flexibility…and if a bit lighter is what I’m looking for then the shorter zoom, 400/4.5 and the TC are. Bunch lighter at not too much loss of flexibility.

Excellent video Steve. Thanks!
This 600/6.3 hits home for me. What caught my eye was its size, weight and ergonomics. F/6.3 is not my first choice but I'm not sweating 1/3 stop. Especially since it yielded a fairly lightweight compact 600mm lens. It also has all the 'buttons, bells and whistles' (Lfn1, Lfn2, Mem Set, Control Ring, Focus ring) I'm looking for (contrary to the 180-600).
Not super happy with the price but it sure sounds better than European or Canadian pricing. I've place my preorder and now the long wait begins.

Now I have a decision to make on my 500/4E......

I just don't like replicating FL and aperture across lenses, when my budget isn't unlimited. A lot of shots I've taken lately I've needed to back off (and some I've needed to be at 840, with the TC on my 180-600). The 800 6.3 will actually be unique in that regard, and be more useful with a TC when needed to get 1120 at f9, which will be great for eagles/etc in farther off trees.

Side question on the 180-600…what ar you using the lens function for and if it’s the memory set and recall as Steve likes to use, what are you using for the second bottom in that combo? Trying to determine how to eventually set mine up.

Oh boy. I have the 180-600 on order and thought that was going to be the cats meow for me as a replacement for my 500pf on the z8. Now I put this new lens on order because I love the 500pf on my D500 and it rarely left my camera. Thought I wanted the flexibility of the zoom although I think for most of what I do with birds I’ll be at the 600 length so…. What to do what to do??? Size and weight is huge for me so I may cancel the zoom. I wish I could actually hold both but I’ve had my order in on the zoom since July and nothing yet! I’d love to hear what others are thinking.

Wonderful video as usual Steve, while I am extremely impressed with the optics of the lens, I am happy that I bought the 180-600 last week. It is no slouch and the price difference is quite large. If I were to spend $5,000 on a super tele prime, I think I would rather buy a faster F mount lens. Can't help but wonder if a Z mount 500 F4 is a possibilty! Perhaps even in PF avatar without a TC to keep prices accessible and weight low. In any case, the system is quite mature now, and as you say, if I find myself cropping the 180-600 down, it might just open up a window for me to consider the 800 PF in the future.

Incidentally, did you use a flash for some of these images?
Thanks - and no flash. Might have had some water reflection though.

I am glad to see some people stating that they don't want this lens :). I certainly do not "need" it, in light of the telephoto arsenal I already own (including great Olympus glass). Its appearance was/is unexpected, kind of out-of-the-blue, really. I live on the west coast, and when the announcement went up there were no active purchasing links; even Nikon was not permitting preordering. But for whatever reason (!) I woke up at 2 am and placed a preorder with B & H. Since that is 5 am eastern time, I suspect that I am still going to be way down the list, but that's ok.

Now I can fret about whether I should or will sell my 500 PF, which I adore. I suspect the resale value of that lens has already dropped and will continue to fall.

@Steve LIke to see comparison against the 600 TC. WOnder if the 600 PF gives up much in IQ, or the trade off F6.3 vs F4 and the built in TC
I tell ya, in looking at the images it's like I said in the video - they look really close. If I were just looking at a mix of photos between the two and judging sharpness, I'm not sure I could tell them apart. I'll be testing one I have my production copy.

I'm curious about comparisons with the 400 f/4.5 + TCs. The 400 f/4.5 + TC14 combo gives you a 560 f/6.3 that is cheaper & lighter than the 600 PF while not having any drawbacks/concerns on PF background rendering, and it is still goddamn sharp. And with a TC20, I feel like 800mm f/9 is much more useful and practical than a 1200mm f/13.
Based on using the 400 4.5 with a TC and my limited with with the 600PF, the 600PF is the sharper choice - just not sure by how much.

What an awesome lens! It’ll be great seller I’m sure. Anybody have an idea on how they made it just a little lighter than the 500 PF?
Technically, the 500PF is a lighter - it's the 500PF + FTZ combo that puts it over the top. I used that example for weight in the video since you can't shoot a 500PF it.

Back