Nikon 600PF First Look Field Review!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This quarter stop would make it so much more expensive so much more bigger? How much what’s your prediction?
Is 600mm so much more expensive to make vs. 500pf?
To get 1/3 stop more light to the sensor the lens area has to increase by 33 percent. Which equates roughly to every lens element being about 15 percent larger diameter. But the amount of glass and therefore the weight is proportional to area (i.e. changes exponentially with diameter). So to go to 5.6 vs 6.3 the lens would only have to be 15 percent larger diameter but would weigh about 30 percent more.

Last edited:
To get 1/3 stop more light to the sensor the lens area has to increase by 33 percent. Which equates roughly to every lens element being about 15 percent larger diameter. But the amount of glass and therefore the weight is a function of area, not diameter. So to go to 5.6 vs 6.3 the lens would only have to be 15 percent larger diameter but would weigh about 30 percent more.
Understood. The 500pf was 5.6. Another 100mm requires a 1/3 stop?
In theory same size optics for 700mm would be 7.1?

Two points. First, there is no way that Nikon releases quantities of this lens in October. Maybe a few NPS members will land a copy but for mere mortals, figure sometime in mid 2024. They haven’t even been able to fill orders on the 180-600, though if enough people prefer this lens, I’d gladly take your 180-600. Second, releasing this lens is brilliant. I’ve seen 400 f4.5’s appearing on football sidelines and for those who shoot at 600, it’s perfect for all the reasons Steve mentioned. For all of the years I’ve been shooting and having owned f/4 500 and 600 lenses, they always had TC’s on them. So for me, this lens offers no practical utility, especially because I own the 800 and shoot long. If I were on Safari, I would much prefer the 400 f/4.5 or 600 f/4 to this lens.

Last edited:
Will find out in a couple weeks how much stock Nikon piled up.
Could be they are using the same production line that produces the 800pf which is already tooled up

I read, understand and agree with Steve’s thoughts that the 6.3 speed is not a deal breaker. It does seem odd to me, however, that Nikon could make the Z 800mm PF a 6.3 and not make the Z 600mm PF at least a 5.6??
Size, weight and the associated cost is against the idea to make a lighter lens.

You're trying to compare the two different systems with different flange diameters and therefore different diaphragm sizes.
I'd also note that it's not the length of the lens that changes the aperture, but the desire to keep the weight/size/cost down. Nikon could have done a 5.6, or even f4...at a cost to all of those things.

I'd also note that it's not the length of the lens that changes the aperture, but the desire to keep the weight/size/cost down. Nikon could have done a 5.6, or even f4...at a cost to all of those things.
I get it about keeping weight and cost down. What I’m trying to understand is, the reason its so much more expensive from the 500pf AND 1/3 stop. Does 100mm ask for so much more in terms of optical design? Or the difference in price from the 500pf is mainly business revenue

I get it about keeping weight and cost down. What I’m trying to understand is, the reason its so much more expensive from the 500pf AND 1/3 stop. Does 100mm ask for so much more in terms of optical design? Or the difference in price from the 500pf is mainly business revenue
The 500pf was 3600$ at launch. 20% inflation puts that at 4300$. You're 'only' paying 500$ more equivalent for 100 more mm and a third of a stop. Seems fair to me.

Two points. First, there is no way that Canon releases quantities of this lens in October. Maybe a few NPS members will land a copy but for mere mortals, figure sometime in mid 2024. They haven’t even been able to fill orders on the 180-600, though if enough people prefer this lens, I’d gladly take your 180-600. Second, releasing this lens is brilliant. I’ve seen 400 f4.5’s appearing on football sidelines and for those who shoot at 600, it’s perfect for all the reasons Steve mentioned. For all of the years I’ve been shooting and having owned f/4 500 and 600 lenses, they always had TC’s on them. So for me, this lens offers no practical utility, especially because I own the 800 and shoot long. If I were on Safari, I would much prefer the 400 f/4.5 or 600 f/4 to this lens.
Canon? :unsure:

Why do you care? It is what it is. Buy it or don't. What if it is because they want to make some profit? You going to start a class action for price gouging? If you don't want to pay $4800 for 600mm and f6.3 max aperture then buy the 180-600 for $1700. Or buy a 400 4.5 and put a TC on it. Nikon is offering you three ways to get there at three different prices. What's not to like?

Your suggesting 20% inflation.
Okay. Thank you Nikon for the Z9 & 8 lower then expected price. I’m paying it back now 😀
It's really simple. If it's more than you want to pay just don't buy it.

Steve, thank you for this 600PF video, I always enjoy watching your videos!

I followed the announcement with interest, because although I switched from the D500+500PF to the Sony A1+600GM, I now miss a "carry always and anywhere" combo, and a Nikon Z8+600mm PF lens would qualify, although I don't neccessarily crave a diminutive lens like the 500PF or current F6.3 Z600PF. I would not have minded the size and weight that a Z600mmPF would have had if it had been F5.6 at all, it would still have been nearly half of the Sony 600GM.
So the lens, however nice, does not really make me want to adopt a Nikon combo, that would b.t.w. cost a whopping €10.400,- where I live.

Anyway, that's my consideration, but I would like to point out, that your emulation of the (to be expected) bokeh of the Z600PF does not convince me at all that it would not have been better for the Z600PF to have been a F5.6 lens.
To begin with, you use a sample image where there is a subject, then a lot of empty space, and then a background. That is nice, but in such a case the OOF rendering of almost any lens would do (I still see a big difference myself between F5.6 and F6.3 btw.). What struck me the most when I switched from the 500PF to the 600GM, was the vastly improved "contextual" rendering, meaning the rendering when a subject is surrounded left, right and bottom by a background. Also, when a subject is fairly close to a background the OOF rendering of the 600GM is also much much better.
The other issue, that you touched upon, is that a lens with a narrow max aperture sucks at taking a crop, whereas the Sony 600GM can be cropped to 100%, and still render a pleasing background.

I have also found that lenses with a larger front element render images with better clarity and a better 3D feel. I did a comparison between the Sigma 500/4 and the 500PF when I had both, and set the Sigma to f5.6. The images still had a better 3D feel and better clarity.

I miss these considerations when you come to the conclusion that the difference between a 600mm f5.6 and a 600mm f6.3 lens is merely there on paper. Feel free to completely disagree with me, but I once had the Pentax DA560mm f5.6, with a 112mm front element, and that lens had such great clarity, I have been searching to replace its character ever since selling it (very poor AF and bad correction of CA) and only the 600GM has it beat on clarity of the images. Granted, the Pentax only has 6 elements so get's some extra help.

I feel Nikon missed a chance here to do something really special, and put the lens better in line with the 800PF, but no doubt there will be many happy owners for which a 1,5kg, 27cm 600mm lens is a dream.

Last edited:
Why do you care? It is what it is. Buy it or don't. What if it is because they want to make some profit? You going to start a class action for price gouging? If you don't want to pay $4800 for 600mm and f6.3 max aperture then buy the 180-600 for $1700. Or buy a 400 4.5 and put a TC on it. Nikon is offering you three ways to get there at three different prices. What's not to like?

It's really simple. If it's more than you want to pay just don't buy it.
I don’t like the 180-600 weight. I’m always shooting 600+ for that weight I’m taking along the 800pf
I also don’t like the idea of the 400/4.5 with a TC glued on, so I’m selling it. And ordered the 600pf.

Sometimes R&D can cost 💲 but at least I can narrow it down.

Another thing that the 600/6.3 (😡for 6.3..) made me aware, to stop dreaming (and/or saving) for the 400/2.8 TC. Because I’m not using 400! Unless I’m at the zoo. For those times I can use TC’s on the 70-200.

Ideally I would want the 600/4 TC. Its the weight that makes it impossible for me to hand hold.
The 600/6.3 is perfect for grab an go while walking for exercise, and spot opportunities.
Will see how long it will take for Nikon to ship it.

Steve: In your video you mention using the control ring to adjust ISO, but you're using auto ISO, correct? When I'm using auto ISO adjusting ISO doesn't seem to have an effect, so I am using exposure compensation for fine tuning. What am I missing? Thanks.
I use both manual as manual and as M + Auto ISO. When shooting just manual, that's when I use the control ring :)

Steve, thank you for this 600PF video, I always enjoy watching your videos!

I followed the announcement with interest, because although I switched from the D500+500PF to the Sony A1+600GM, I now miss a "carry always and anywhere" combo, and a Nikon Z8+600mm PF lens would qualify, although I don't neccessarily crave a diminutive lens like the 500PF or current F6.3 Z600PF. I would not have minded the size and weight that a Z600mmPF would have had if it had been F5.6 at all, it would still have been nearly half of the Sony 600GM.
So the lens, however nice, does not really make me want to adopt a Nikon combo, that would b.t.w. cost a whopping €10.400,- where I live.

Anyway, that's my consideration, but I would like to point out, that your emulation of the (to be expected) bokeh of the Z600PF does not convince me at all that it would not have been better for the Z600PF to have been a F5.6 lens.
To begin with, you use a sample image where there is a subject, then a lot of empty space, and then a background. That is nice, but in such a case the OOF rendering of almost any lens would do (I still see a big difference myself between F5.6 and F6.3 btw.). What struck me the most when I switched from the 500PF to the 600GM, was the vastly improved "contextual" rendering, meaning the rendering when a subject is surrounded left, right and bottom by a background. Also, when a subject is fairly close to a background the OOF rendering of the 600GM is also much much better.
The other issue, that you touched upon, is that a lens with a narrow max aperture sucks at taking a crop, whereas the Sony 600GM can be cropped to 100%, and still render a pleasing background.

I have also found that lenses with a larger front element render images with better clarity and a better 3D feel. I did a comparison between the Sigma 500/4 and the 500PF when I had both, and set the Sigma to f5.6. The images still had a better 3D feel and better clarity.

I miss these considerations when you come to the conclusion that the difference between a 600mm f5.6 and a 600mm f6.3 lens is merely there on paper. Feel free to completely disagree with me, but I once had the Pentax DA560mm f5.6, with a 112mm front element, and that lens had such great clarity, I have been searching to replace its character ever since selling it (very poor AF and bad correction of CA) and only the 600GM has it beat on clarity of the images. Granted, the Pentax only has 6 elements so get's some extra help.

I feel Nikon missed a chance here to do something really special, and put the lens better in line with the 800PF, but no doubt there will be many happy owners for which a 1,5kg, 27cm 600mm lens is a dream.
I still maintain that the real world difference between F/5.6 and F/6.3 is there but minimal. However, the difference between F/4 and F/5.6 or F/6.3 is far more noticeable and it's why we pay the big bucks for those lenses. I agree that the contextual rendering (I love that phrase) is absolutely better with the faster glass. Again though, there's a $15K option out there that'll make it happen :)

As far as the fast primes and the way they render, that's often a result of a number of things - not just the front element (which, I'm not sure the sheer size actually makes any difference). I think that the larger primes tend to have better coatings and use better quality elements all the way around. I'm not an optical engineer though...

And, as I said in the video, I agree 100% that the lens should have been an F/5.6 BUT I also think it's important to try to take the third of a stop difference in the proper context.

And, as I said in the video, I agree 100% that the lens should have been an F/5.6 BUT I also think it's important to try to take the third of a stop difference in the proper context.
I think we're all stuck with a mental block of anything over 5.6 due to so many years of that being the AF limit for DSLR. Since shooting thousands of image with the 800PF and a few hundred with a 1.4x TC on the 400 4.5 I'm finally over it. As discussed above to go from 6.3 to 5.6 would likely have increased the weight by about 30 percent which would be the same weight as the 180-600. Personally I'll take the smaller/lighter lens.

That said... I've decided to pass on this one. Just not seeing $4800 worth of benefit vs the 400+TC or the 180-600 :confused:

Sounds like you had a blast testing the new lens! I'm curious about the comparison with the 180-600mm too. Can't wait to see your video and hear your thoughts on it. Hiking with the right lens is a game-changer.

I think we're all stuck with a mental block of anything over 5.6 due to so many years of that being the AF limit for DSLR. Since shooting thousands of image with the 800PF and a few hundred with a 1.4x TC on the 400 4.5 I'm finally over it. As discussed above to go from 6.3 to 5.6 would likely have increased the weight by about 30 percent which would be the same weight as the 180-600. Personally I'll take the smaller/lighter lens.

That said... I've decided to pass on this one. Just not seeing $4800 worth of benefit vs the 400+TC or the 180-600 :confused:
That's where I'm at for the 600 6.3. Too much overlap with current gear. Now the 800 6.3 is a different story...

I'm also okay with f9, which is blasphemy for a lot of people (180-600 plus 1.4x tc). Is it ideal? No. But my only other options are to spend 4x the money and lose the ability to zoom, neither of which are ideal either.

I still maintain that the real world difference between F/5.6 and F/6.3 is there but minimal. However, the difference between F/4 and F/5.6 or F/6.3 is far more noticeable and it's why we pay the big bucks for those lenses. I agree that the contextual rendering (I love that phrase) is absolutely better with the faster glass. Again though, there's a $15K option out there that'll make it happen :)

As far as the fast primes and the way they render, that's often a result of a number of things - not just the front element (which, I'm not sure the sheer size actually makes any difference). I think that the larger primes tend to have better coatings and use better quality elements all the way around. I'm not an optical engineer though...

Thanks for a very condiderate reply!
You know how to reply without setting the discussion in flames, and after all it is perfectly fine to agree to disagree sometimes.

I guess it is about giving others room to have their own thougths, even if they are not in line with your own.
It enhances the validity of your statements.

Sounds like you had a blast testing the new lens! I'm curious about the comparison with the 180-600mm too. Can't wait to see your video and hear your thoughts on it. Hiking with the right lens is a game-changer.

From a business POV Nikon would be foolish to price the lens less than the market will bear. It the lens is indeed 'too expensive' the market will tell them in short order. OTOH if they can't keep up with demand we might see the price drift or jump upward.

Bottom line: Nikon is in business to make money. Price the lens too low and profits will suffer, but there might be other long-term strategies in play. Without insider knowledge of the business strategy we don't know for certain.

For myself, price is a secondary consideration; primary for me is performance. Will it do what I want it to? Where price comes into question is when I ask "Is there other equipment with comparable performance at lower cost?". If the answer to the second question is 'yes' then for myself the lens is too expensive. At this time I don't see any comparable equipment from any maker.

Back