Nikon 800mm PF - 'long-term' experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In general love it.

good points:
1.very good IQ
2.hand-hold ability
3. excellent VR

But few things to consider:
1. AF is not super fast. it is good but not excellent.
2. when shooting backlit subjects there is a drop in contrast - more than I like (wonder what other users think on this point??)
3. prone to heat haze affects - probably because it is 800mm and the shooting distance- meaning it is a factor of the inherit focal length
I have not seen any difference with a drop in contrast of backlight subjects with it compared to my 600 f/4 E (now sold the Z800 just more efficient for my uses) on the Z9 on equivalent, subjects, lighting and distance but not side by side static testing done. I use the control ring on the Z800 to quickly adjust the exposure compensation with back lighted subjects one of my favorite features of the Z9 compared to my D6 or D850 seeing a live histogram in the viewfinder and having the viewfinder set not for ease of viewing but showing impact of settings and lighting instead.

#3 Your correct the lens has no impact on atmospheric distortion (a temperature differential between the air column you are shooting through and the land/water beneath it and also impacted by humidity etc.. and happens in hot and cold weather). As you noted the 800mm focal length lets us try and photograph subjects at a longer distance and so there is more atmosphere between the lens and the subject.

After the 600 TC came out I thought about it for the versatility you mention. But I not being a working pro I could no justify the weight and cost.

My situation is different than many I hike and hand hold while photographing birds for ID in all kinds of terrain and conditions with my subjects constantly changing. A "pretty" photo is secondary and incidental to my bird ID photography.

I purchased the Z800 for the focal length and mobility but I do not use either of my TC's on it. With the Z9 I have a 1 button push and hold set up on the Z800 to toggle between fx and dx which helps with focus on smaller more distant subjects that I would be cropping in post later anyway. It is a logistically a lot more manageable than my 600 f/4E was.

I always wanted the 800mm focal length but did not want the weight and cost off the f mount 800.

I have not used a tripod in several years. I have a some great legs and heads sitting in my closet waiting for the day I will want/need them again :)

The two negatives I see with the Z800 for me is a rare one where I the minimum focus distance 16.5 feet is to much. There are also times when a variable focal length lens for flocks or close range birds in flight like swallows are easier to deal with with my Z100-400 and that will probably be supplanted by the Z180-600 when it arrives.

The extra focal length does not increase atmospheric distortion (heat refraction) the atmospheric distortion caused by the difference in air and ground/water temperature (impacted by the humidity levels wind etc.) can happen at any time of the year and it can be hot or below freezing. The atmospheric distortion through a given column of air is the same no matter what focal length you are using. The only difference is with a longer focal length we tend to photograph things further away so through more atmosphere between the lens and the subject. Steve has a couple of good videos on the topic.
That’s why I said “effectively increases”.

Love it. As a 68 year old female I thought it may be too heavy to use on my z9 but I have had it for 6 months now and two overseas trips and it has barely been of the camera. I have taken it up rocky escarpments, through very slippery mud in mangroves and up mountain tracks. I didn’t think it would be my primary lens. I did get a Zemlin pinch cap and shorter lens hood which helps.

Love the 800pf. Just gotta learn how to use it properly. 800mm is a learning curve. I feel the pain of the f/6.3, but @5.6 isn’t that much better. Gotta know when to stop shooting in low light.

Regarding the weight, it’s heavier at first, but with constant use, you’ll build up the muscle.

Many thanks to all for the very helpful feedback! It certainly supports Brad Hill's conclusions on the lens. It seems that for anyone who is weight conscious and is teetering between a second hand F mount 600mm and the 800mm PF, the answer is very clear.

Great lens. Very light and IQ is up there. From last autumn in Bosque

20221129A_Bosque NM_8455.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

After an 8 month wait - I finally have the Nikon Z 800 PF 6.3.

It's only been a week- but it is exactly as advertised. It's larger than I imagined, especially with the hood attached. It is as light as they say- hand holding is surprisingly doable.

I've only been able to take this out for two shoots. I won't count the Super Moon shot on a tripod- which was fantastic. The second was in the marsh shooting the Snowy Egret. It handled as promised and with the reach of the 800- it is easier filling the frame- hence less cropping and much better images.

I have only one criticism- the Hood and the Lens Cap- they are huge and bulky. The lens cap is enormous and not practical for those of us who are shooting on location and because there are no threads for a neutral or U/V filter ( ok I have two gripes ) it is not realistic to trek around with this ginormous Lens Cap to protect the glass ( which is like a skating rink- ok- an exaggeration). As for the hood- it is my first super telephoto lens and it is longer than I assumed- and as I said- it made a long lens huge.

I have already ordered my Zemlin Lens Cap and Two Piece hood ( I ordered the smaller- which when combined is the same length as the HB 104 hood). Since these are produced to order- and it looks like the turn around time may be 6 weeks- so I would suggest if you are waiting for the 800 and think you might like these replacements- I'd recommend ordering ahead- you won't regret it. So in the meantime- I have always covered my lenses with LensCoats so I ordered the XXL lens cap- as a temporary fix to the lack of a lens cap and filters to protect the lens with 1/10th (figuratively) the size and bulk.

OK - one... no.... two more digs- When is Nikon going to produce a Light ( Gray) lens? and lastly- Why won't they produce a lens foot with an Arca Swiss cleat- So lastly- either buy your RRS rail or go all in with Kirks Foot ( two thumbs up)

Terrific lens. Only issue is heat diffraction. Also have to guard against going down the rabbit hole and shooting a lot of shots at 1120MM just because you can. Especially at a shoreline where the depth compression is alarming. Like looking through binoculars.
Seldom do I find myself thinking "too much lens" which I was concerned with.
Will have to think very hard when my number in the 600 lottery comes up. Love prime lenses but it may be redundant for an extra 10K.

After an 8 month wait - I finally have the Nikon Z 800 PF 6.3.

It's only been a week- but it is exactly as advertised. It's larger than I imagined, especially with the hood attached. It is as light as they say- hand holding is surprisingly doable.

I've only been able to take this out for two shoots. I won't count the Super Moon shot on a tripod- which was fantastic. The second was in the marsh shooting the Snowy Egret. It handled as promised and with the reach of the 800- it is easier filling the frame- hence less cropping and much better images.

I have only one criticism- the Hood and the Lens Cap- they are huge and bulky. The lens cap is enormous and not practical for those of us who are shooting on location and because there are no threads for a neutral or U/V filter ( ok I have two gripes ) it is not realistic to trek around with this ginormous Lens Cap to protect the glass ( which is like a skating rink- ok- an exaggeration). As for the hood- it is my first super telephoto lens and it is longer than I assumed- and as I said- it made a long lens huge.

I have already ordered my Zemlin Lens Cap and Two Piece hood ( I ordered the smaller- which when combined is the same length as the HB 104 hood). Since these are produced to order- and it looks like the turn around time may be 6 weeks- so I would suggest if you are waiting for the 800 and think you might like these replacements- I'd recommend ordering ahead- you won't regret it. So in the meantime- I have always covered my lenses with LensCoats so I ordered the XXL lens cap- as a temporary fix to the lack of a lens cap and filters to protect the lens with 1/10th (figuratively) the size and bulk.

OK - one... no.... two more digs- When is Nikon going to produce a Light ( Gray) lens? and lastly- Why won't they produce a lens foot with an Arca Swiss cleat- So lastly- either buy your RRS rail or go all in with Kirks Foot ( two thumbs up)
Nikons answer is: there are multiple mounting systems besides Arca Swiss and they do not want to play the favorites game.

The longest and best balanced foot that I know of for this lens is the Hejnar. http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/

It is longer and better balanced. Since I learned about Hejnar from @Steve with the quick release accidnets happeing with the 500pf stock foot. I have used them on every lens that has a tripod foot (not a one piece collar and foot style like the 200-500 or the new 180-600 coming). I hand hold the lens with the foot resting in the palm of my hand target rifle style. Those who use a tripod say it makes balancing easy.

Yes it fits with the Zemlin 2 piece hood reversed on the lens or the stock hood reversed no problem. I use the Zemlin 2 piece hood and like the fact that if is windy I can reduce the sail effect by using just the first half. The Nikon stock hood is much nicer than the one that came with my 600 f/4E that was a thumb screw beast and expensive to replace. The Z800 hood is actually quite nice and easy to use but with the Zemlin I can save the OEM hood in case I ever did sell the Z800 and have that option with the two piece hood to go short for the wind.

The idea of heat related issues based on focal length is largely a matter of perspective. It's much like the question of atmospheric distortions in relationship to using teleconverters. If the idea is to use a longer lens or add a TC to a medium to long focal length lens to shoot moderate to large subjects at longer distances then sure that's going to bump up the risk of atmospheric problems even without heat turbulence as you're just shooting through more atmosphere, dust, moisture, etc. But if the question is being able to achieve larger subject size of small subjects at modest distances like small warblers at twenty to forty feet, the longer lens is no more susceptible to atmospheric problems at those distances than shorter focal length lenses.

FWIW, in my own shooting and in workshops I've often advocated the loose rule of thumb to avoid adding a TC to my 600mm lens for subjects much larger than a basketball. IOW, to achieve a reasonable subject size on a Grouse, waterfowl or small songbirds the TC is great. But if the question is shooting a full body image of a Moose or Bison and I need a TC on top of a 600mm lens to achieve desired subject size then I'm just too far away for that shot and shooting through too much atmosphere. Sure, realistically if a great subject appears in good light at those kinds of distances I'll probably slap the TC on and give it a try but my expectations of a great image are low. To me the same question applies to shooting with an 800mm native lens or even more so an 800mm lens plus a TC, if I need that much lens for a full body shot of a large subject I'm pushing my luck on distance but that's not a shortcoming of the lens itself as much as how I'm trying to apply the tool.

That philosophy does make something like the 800mm PF a more specialized tool for certain situations but I still wouldn't lump heat or atmospheric disturbances as a lens problem as much as an application problem.

Last edited:
Terrific lens. Only issue is heat diffraction. Also have to guard against going down the rabbit hole and shooting a lot of shots at 1120MM just because you can. Especially at a shoreline where the depth compression is alarming. Like looking through binoculars.
Seldom do I find myself thinking "too much lens" which I was concerned with.
Will have to think very hard when my number in the 600 lottery comes up. Love prime lenses but it may be redundant for an extra 10K.
As @DRwyoming did a great job of describing above and I have said Atmosperic Distortion (heat diffraction) is not a product of the Z800 or any lens only how it is used. The more atmosphere you shoot through the more distortion can happen. So that 1120 rabbit hole can lure one to trying to shoot through more "stuff".

I was lucky enough to get an 800 mm PF in October last year. It's a great lens and I have had a lot of fun with it. A few thoughts:

While it is fairly large and heavy, it is much lighter and smaller than Nikon's other exotic telephotos. About the same weight as the F mount 200-500 mm lens. I find I can easily handhold the lens, including with a Z 1.4x TC. So far I have used it with my Z9. Have not tried it with my Z8, which is just coming back from a trip to Nikon for the service advisory. I suspect balance is better with the Z9, but have not tested it. If you are considering an 800 mm PF, you might want to see what it feels like in hand and on the body you want to use with it.

Optically it is very good. Good enough that whether other exotics might be better is not a useful question for me (and I would not want the extra weight).

I've used the lens handheld and from a RRS TVC 24L tripod with a Flexshooter Pro (it balanced nicely, using an acra swiss style plate). I've done short hikes with it (say 3 to 4 miles); used it from a pontoon; used it in a zodiac; and used it from a motorized ocean-going sailboat.

It is small enough to travel with. I carry my 800 mm PF in a Mindshift Backlight 36L photo backpack. (I have a 2-piece Zemlin lens hood for it. I put the hood collapsed in my luggage. I also have a Zemlin lens cap for it. Both are improvements on the Nikon versions.) No issues on regular jets -- it fits in overhead bins on Airbus and Boeing single aisle jets (at least on Delta). I have carried it on an Air Canada Dash-8 turbo prop, where the backpack holding the lens, a Z9 and other lenses and gear fit under the seat in front of me and my laptop bag went in the small overhead bins.

For me, the 800 mm PF has been useful on a broad range of subjects, not just small birds. I have used it to photograph common loons, common mergansers, bald eagles, great blue herons, great egrets, osprey, various ducks and grebes, trumpeter swans, Canada geese, Northern harriers, shorebirds, various cormorants, gulls, seals, sea lions, other oceangoing birds, gray and humpback whales at a bit of a distance (Barkley Sound, Vancouver Island) and a few others. I think some photo trip leaders underestimate how useful it can be. I wish I had taken it to Hudson Bay last year (Seal River) to photograph polar bears, Arctic foxes and other Arctic critters.

Drawbacks? Yes, perhaps a couple.

It is big enough that I have not wanted to use it in my kayak. It is too big to fit in the kayak's cockpit. (Might work with other styles of kayaks or bigger ones.) I've been using the Z 400 f4.5 and Z 2x TC when I want 800 mm from my kayak. That combo is not as good as the 800 mm PF (and slower at f9), but good enough to be useful.

800 mm can be too much at times. I've often been taking a second body along with a shorter lens. Often the Z8 and the Z 100-400 mm. But I like this two camera approach in general and often did the the same with the 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII on one body and a shorter lens on a second body.

Great lens. Not for everyone or every situation.

Fantastic lens. High quality images, good bokeh, hand-holdable, and fits in a camera bag with the hood, so travels well. I do a lot of bird photography and it has become the lens I use the vast majority of the time. I only use my 600 f4 on a tripod for backyard birds now. Obviously it is a long lens so there will be times where you need something shorter or that can focus more closely. I also have the 500 PF but find my 80-400 works better as a second lens, as I'm sure the 100-400 would. The new 180-600 may also serve that purpose. I have not had any significant problems with heat distortion (I generally don't try to shoot long distances with the lens). In fact, I find it interesting that that threads on this 800 lens often produce warnings about heat distortion, but threads on the 600's with a 1.4TC (840), the 500's with a 1.4TC (700), or the 400's with a 2.0TC (800) rarely do.

Nikons answer is: there are multiple mounting systems besides Arca Swiss and they do not want to play the favorites game.

The longest and best balanced foot that I know of for this lens is the Hejnar. http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/

It is longer and better balanced. Since I learned about Hejnar from @Steve with the quick release accidnets happeing with the 500pf stock foot. I have used them on every lens that has a tripod foot (not a one piece collar and foot style like the 200-500 or the new 180-600 coming). I hand hold the lens with the foot resting in the palm of my hand target rifle style. Those who use a tripod say it makes balancing easy.

Yes it fits with the Zemlin 2 piece hood reversed on the lens or the stock hood reversed no problem. I use the Zemlin 2 piece hood and like the fact that if is windy I can reduce the sail effect by using just the first half. The Nikon stock hood is much nicer than the one that came with my 600 f/4E that was a thumb screw beast and expensive to replace. The Z800 hood is actually quite nice and easy to use but with the Zemlin I can save the OEM hood in case I ever did sell the Z800 and have that option with the two piece hood to go short for the wind.
Thanx for the reply- as for the foot- why not manufacture multiple foot options- and select your compatable foot when you buy the lens. I did like that it is not a quick release like the 500 or all my other longer lenses- 70-200 . 100-400. I have had a lens foot disconnect in the locked position- Fortunately, I was on grass and did no damage. I thought that I didnt tighten it tight enough- but it was locked in and tightened. Since then I went to Wembly at a friends recommendation. When I bought the Z 100-400 he switched to Kirk, so I did too. I dont plan on using the tripod much. The last time I used the tripod was when the Stellar Sea Eagle was a half mile out or like recently for the Super Moon. I have been trying to do more videos and I have a longer Kirk Rail for my Fluid Head .

And agreed to the lens hood. I love the locking feature. I honestly don't know what the Zemlin Hood will use. Whatever it is-I have used the twist lock on all of my lenses. Yes I've gone out without a properly tightened hood- but never damaged from the fall- Fortunately. The only hood I ever damaged was the 500 , when it fell to the grass- It's still locks, but it does have a crack.

Thanx for the tips- I am a sponge and willing to learn. GM

Thanx for the reply- as for the foot- why not manufacture multiple foot options- and select your compatable foot when you buy the lens. I did like that it is not a quick release like the 500 or all my other longer lenses- 70-200 . 100-400. I have had a lens foot disconnect in the locked position- Fortunately, I was on grass and did no damage. I thought that I didnt tighten it tight enough- but it was locked in and tightened. Since then I went to Wembly at a friends recommendation. When I bought the Z 100-400 he switched to Kirk, so I did too. I dont plan on using the tripod much. The last time I used the tripod was when the Stellar Sea Eagle was a half mile out or like recently for the Super Moon. I have been trying to do more videos and I have a longer Kirk Rail for my Fluid Head .

And agreed to the lens hood. I love the locking feature. I honestly don't know what the Zemlin Hood will use. Whatever it is-I have used the twist lock on all of my lenses. Yes I've gone out without a properly tightened hood- but never damaged from the fall- Fortunately. The only hood I ever damaged was the 500 , when it fell to the grass- It's still locks, but it does have a crack.

Thanx for the tips- I am a sponge and willing to learn. GM
Nikon has not addressed offering multiple feet that I know of but I would imagine the ROI on that would be a low or even negative number. That is a lot of engineering and production issues to address the wide range of mount options. I would not expect them to do that without a significant extra charge.

The Zemlin hood is a twist to lock it is different than the Nikon. You can see videos on Zemlins web page that show you whe easiest ways to do the install of the part that goes on the front of the Z800 and that the Zemlin hood then locks onto. There are also videos that show you the suggested way to put the hood on, take it off put it on in reverse and how to separate the two piece hood etc.. It takes a bit of practice for the first few times. I still accidentally seperate the two halves when reversing the hood for putting the lens away but I am a klutz and the annoyance minimal compared to having the short hood option for the wind. The hood locks in place with a discernible click.

I bought it as soon as I could get one in my region. Never a regret.
Purchased on April, took it to Kenya in June mounted on one of the Z9 hoping to be able to use it and praying for not being too long of a focal... I used it 100% of the time handheld, under good and poor light conditions (strong light, heat, noon hours) and it performed as or better than expected (considering atmospheric conditions). It ended up being abt 45% of the total shots taken there...

Would I buy a Z600 instead? I don't think so. Using the Z800 on one Z9 and the 180/400 on the other Z9 (plus a 24-120 on a D6), I never felt like I was missing something.

No doubt a Z600 would be more versatile (600 & 840mm), better isolation, more of everything, no doubt but... wouldn't want to let the lightweight champion to go. However, if I had no other option than having just one lens, the Z600 should be my choice... (but not my bank's one... lol!)

Last edited:
Fantastic lens. High quality images, good bokeh, hand-holdable, and fits in a camera bag with the hood, so travels well. I do a lot of bird photography and it has become the lens I use the vast majority of the time. I only use my 600 f4 on a tripod for backyard birds now. Obviously it is a long lens so there will be times where you need something shorter or that can focus more closely. I also have the 500 PF but find my 80-400 works better as a second lens, as I'm sure the 100-400 would. The new 180-600 may also serve that purpose. I have not had any significant problems with heat distortion (I generally don't try to shoot long distances with the lens). In fact, I find it interesting that that threads on this 800 lens often produce warnings about heat distortion, but threads on the 600's with a 1.4TC (840), the 500's with a 1.4TC (700), or the 400's with a 2.0TC (800) rarely
Fantastic lens. High quality images, good bokeh, hand-holdable, and fits in a camera bag with the hood, so travels well. I do a lot of bird photography and it has become the lens I use the vast majority of the time. I only use my 600 f4 on a tripod for backyard birds now. Obviously it is a long lens so there will be times where you need something shorter or that can focus more closely. I also have the 500 PF but find my 80-400 works better as a second lens, as I'm sure the 100-400 would. The new 180-600 may also serve that purpose. I have not had any significant problems with heat distortion (I generally don't try to shoot long distances with the lens). In fact, I find it interesting that that threads on this 800 lens often produce warnings about heat distortion, but threads on the 600's with a 1.4TC (840), the 500's with a 1.4TC (700), or the 400's with a 2.0TC (800) rarely do.
Which bag are you using - if I may ask?

I use a Kiboko 30L for most travel. It will also fit in a thinkTank Airport Accelerator and Glass Limo, Ruggard Alpine 600, and, of course, the nice case that comes with it.
I think there is a thread here on this subject.

I use a Kiboko 30L for most travel. It will also fit in a thinkTank Airport Accelerator and Glass Limo, Ruggard Alpine 600, and, of course, the nice case that comes with it.
I think there is a thread here on this subject.
Yes indeed the case with the Z800 is the most useful I ever got with a lens. The Z800 with Z9 mounted fits in perfectly. For local travel with just the one body and lens that is all I carry with a spare battery in the ouside pocket.

Now that the Nikon 800mm PF has been in public circulation for a number of months and for some maybe even close to a year, what are people's 'feelings' on it. Regrets? Kept it? Sold it? Expectations met? Satisfied with image quality? Changed to a different telezoom?

Nothing too detailed - just people's gut feelings on the lens. As the lens becomes more readily available in the shops, it might be of interest to know what early adopters now feel about the lens. Thanks!
I’ve had it for about 5 months. I shoot mostly small birds and continue to be impressed by its sharpness/IQ. I shoot it both handheld and on monopods and tripods. It balances very well in the hand and is fun to use.

My biggest con is the long MFD. I will occasionally miss a shot of a bird coming in too close, but it’s more about missing opportunities to shoot other close subjects when out in nature. While I may go out mostly to photograph birds, I also enjoy shooting flowers, insects, etc., and it’s more difficult when having to shoot from 16+ feet.

In my younger days, I’d carry two bodies with two different lenses. However, I’ve gone more to one lens of late. For this type of shooting I’m looking forward to the 180-600. Don’t know how the IQ will hold up, but the somewhat lighter weight combined with the zoom and much closer focusing capability are both very attractive.

I don’t anticipate the 180-600 completely supplanting the 800 PF, but I do envision using the 180-600 at times on birding/nature walks if the sharpness/IQ are acceptable.

So final word…great lens, no regrets, does what an 800mm lens is intended to do at much lighter, handholdable weight and lower cost than its f/5.6 predecessor. It’s a fantastic birding lens, but IMO, its long MFD makes it less than ideal as a general walkabout lens.

Last edited:
I got my 800pf April 24 and it was on my Z9 for over 90% of the images until my Z8 arrived on June 18 and was on that for all except some initial test images with the Z70-200 until I sent if off last week for the lens mount fix. It is now back on my Z9. I mostly shoot birds, so the reach combined with the image quality is ideal. Undoubtedly the best birding lens I have ever had. My 500pf is sitting on the shelf. I do not miss the 1/3 stop as both Topaz and LightroomC do a great job at noise reduction for highish ISO. I also use occasionally for butterflies and even got a near frame-filling pic of a damselfly where image quality brought out amazing detail. I also echo Garfield that in that I have also lost my lust for 600TC. With the Z8, the carry around weight is near the D500/200-500 f5.6 I have carried around on travel. That said, I am in my late 70's and while much of my shooting is handheld it is from a fixed position. My only regret, if you can call it that, is that I loved my 500pf and do not really know what to do with it.
You can send your 500pf to me. I'll treat it like my firstborn--or even better.😊

I waited exactly one year to receive the 800mm. I use it with and without the 1.4x TC on my Z9. I love it and feel very fortunate to be an owner of such quality kit. I mostly use it hand-held and mount it on a tripod only when I need a long exposure (low light, moving water etc.). It's been awesome to travel with. Challenges with minimum focus distance, atmospheric effects, AF tracking are for the operator to be aware of and work around. The image quality, portabilty and value make this an exceptional lens and this amateur photogprapher couldn't be more pleased with it.

untitled-504-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

PXL_20230811_032537675.jpg

Had an order for one and cancelled it. For my purposes…the lack of flexibility compared to zooms and shorter primes with or without a TC was a consideration, and since my output is screen and the occasional print for my wall…and considering the excellent state of noise and sharpening software…made the difference. I could easily have afforded it…or it’s more expensive brothers…but for me it came down to bang for the buck…the IQ gains are offset by the loss of flexibility and the weight and the affect on whatever else I’m carrying today. I don’t go out saying I’m only interested in Great Gray Owls…I go out to the swamp 9r refuge or whatever with some expectations but mostly it’s a matter of you get what you get today. I’ve tried…over and over…to get my bride of going on 47 years to be my Sherpa…and for decades now she’s refused…so if I was going to carry the 800…I’m only going to have a light lens like the 24-120 or maybe the 100-400 in addition, and the latter only for a short hike…and that’s just too limiting for a slight increase in IQ which won’t be visible in final output after downsampling for the screen.

Had an order for one and cancelled it. For my purposes…the lack of flexibility compared to zooms and shorter primes with or without a TC was a consideration, and since my output is screen and the occasional print for my wall…and considering the excellent state of noise and sharpening software…made the difference. I could easily have afforded it…or it’s more expensive brothers…but for me it came down to bang for the buck…the IQ gains are offset by the loss of flexibility and the weight and the affect on whatever else I’m carrying today. I don’t go out saying I’m only interested in Great Gray Owls…I go out to the swamp 9r refuge or whatever with some expectations but mostly it’s a matter of you get what you get today. I’ve tried…over and over…to get my bride of going on 47 years to be my Sherpa…and for decades now she’s refused…so if I was going to carry the 800…I’m only going to have a light lens like the 24-120 or maybe the 100-400 in addition, and the latter only for a short hike…and that’s just too limiting for a slight increase in IQ which won’t be visible in final output after downsampling for the screen.
Many different needs and the Z800 not the best fit for many.

My situation is always on the go, hand held and many times hiking long distances over rough terrain. Lot's of small birds at relatively long distances and shooting first and primarily for bird ID for my E Bird check lists. So I may shoot a sparrow and in less than a second a Great Blue Heron, a duck or eagle in flight etc..

Here in Southern Idaho most of the habitat is very open. I used 600mm variable focal lengths and the 600 mm f/4E and 95% of the time really needed 800 mm and the Z800mm pf is logistically a dream to carry and shoot with compared to the 600 f/4E. While out birding I almost never carry a second camera and/or lens. Very few days to I encounter a situation where the 16.5 foot minimum focal distance is a problem.

The only time I take out the Z100-400 is if I have a specific photo project for something like a bridge and swallow survey and need wider shots of the bridges and flocks of swallows in flight etc. Also for small erattic but close approaching birds like swallows if I am looking specifically for flight shot of those then the Z100-400 is a better tool. I have the Z180-600 on order for those situations.

Back