Nikon 800PF Review For Wildlife Photographers (Official Discussion Thread)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon just announced their new 800mm PF and my extensive first-look review for wildlife photographers is ready to go!

In this first-look video, I'll answer all the burning questions you have about the 800PF. We'll talk about the specifications, the controls, features, technology, ergonomics, sharpness, rendering, autofocus, VR performance, how hand-holdable it is, how it handles in the field, and so much more! If you want the best 800PF review for wildlife photography, this is it!

Plus, I'll pass along all of my insights, thoughts, and recommendations along the way!

Check out the video below:

Can you help?
If you enjoyed the video, please share it with your Nikon friends - and feel free to pass it on any camera forums or groups who may enjoy it. Thank you so much!

PS - I also want to apologize. I was not able to perform any sniff, lick, or "wind tunnel" tests with this lens. Sadly, I also forgot to curl it like a dumbbell. Oh, the missed opportunities!

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! It is excellent you are in the position to release this review so timeously.
Here's the official page with snips of the mtf and optical design. Interesting to see the Phase-Fresnel element is positioned further back - to reduce width presumably

1649218659211.png

1649218571686.png

ROFL - you also didn't just go to the zoo on a bright sunny day.
Yeah, I prefer actual wildlife since that's really what the lens was built for. And we had it WAY tougher in FL. I've been there a cumulative six weeks since Dec. and not once did I run into a couple of days this bad. However, it seems to have worked out. :)

I've been there a cumulative six weeks since Dec. and not once did I run into a couple of days this bad.
Totally agree - I think it was a blessing in disguise. You got to demonstrate it's low light performance, how well it handles without support and the general build quality and weatherproofing.

Yeah, I prefer actual wildlife since that's really what the lens was built for. And we had it WAY tougher in FL. I've been there a cumulative six weeks since Dec. and not once did I run into a couple of days this bad. However, it seems to have worked out. :)
How would rate it to the 800 f/5.6

First< I can't believe the variety of birds you saw just right out in the open like that! Terns, Roseate Spoonbills, Eagles, Egrets, Hawks, dang that would awesome.

Just gotta know where to look :)

We were probably only out looking for wildlife and shooting for a total of between 5-6 hours. Not bad, eh?

Still, we were fortunate to see as much as we did. Rose and I shot down there a few days early to scout and find the most promising locations. Overall though, luck played a factor.

I mentioned in the other thread I would be interested in side by side with the 600 GM but I don't want to put you on the spot if not prepared to comment.

I wasn't allowed to compare between lenses since it was pre-production. Once I get my copy in hand, I'll be able to test against other optics. Based on what I saw though, I think it can go head-to-head with the 600GM.

Just one more thing, Do you consider the 600 GM to be hand holdable? 800PF is 1 1/2 pounds lighter, jeez that's something else.
I do. I don't necessarily want to hand hold it and I do favor a tripod, but in a pinch I'll do what I gotta do. I think this 800mm is more hand-holdable though - stabilization is better for sure. No way could I get the number of sharp images at 1/200th with the 600 GM hand held just standing there (and certainly not with a TC).

This is a great lens review video, Steve. Thank you!

BTW, I've been in Florida the entire time since December. Trust me, there have been some worse days. We've even had days where the temperature dropped down into the 30s and 40s. 😱

If you're spending that much time down here, maybe we'll run across each other. But I'd have to get out more than I currently am doing to make that happen!

I've been in Florida the entire time since December. Trust me, there have been some worse days. We've even had days where the temperature dropped down into the 30s and 40s. 😱

If you're spending that much time down here, maybe we'll run across each other. But I'd have to get out more than I currently am to make that happen!
Don't get me wrong, I know ti can get bad, I thought it was funny though that of all the time we had spent there, out afternoon and morning with the lens was the worst of it!

Thanks for the video Steve, I'm leaning towards pre-ordering tomorrow at my local store and having it sent via NPS, as I own the Z9/Z7II and will look carefully at info over the next month; could always change my mind and send it back, but I'm leaning towards swapping it out with my 800 5.6; tough decision there to be sure.

Steve, thanks for the great and timely review. I especially appreciate you showing how the lens + hood + camera fit in the Kiboko 30L bag, something I could never do with my 600 f4. I'll be ordering this lens tomorrow and plan to take it to Costa Rica with you this summer, instead of the 600mm.

Don't get me wrong, I know ti can get bad, I thought it was funny though that of all the time we had spent there, out afternoon and morning with the lens was the worst of it!
It goes that way. The entire week after my 600 f4 arrived, the weather was just plain lousy, and the couple of times I braved the conditions, the wildlife wasn't dumb enough to venture out into it. Many weeks we'll have great conditions during the work week, only to have rainy and nasty weather on the weekends. The positive side to that is that I don't have to spend time doing yardwork then.

Anyway, as you've said, the weather was a good test for the lens. And apparently you held up well, too!

Very interesting video Steve, thanks. Shame about the constraints you were under, weather and NDA, but I think you got out as much info as you possibly could. I still wonder how this will perform with TC's but you just didn't have the light for a fair test.

This lens looks to be awesome, a game changer for sure. Amazing price for such a lens and the low weight is really welcome news . One of the main reasons I've stuck with Nikon over the years is the optics. In the past innovation and quality has been outstanding. I think Nikon has come up with a real winner here and the combination with a Z9 makes it a no brainer for wildlife. What else on the market can offer this reach and performance for this price?

I pre ordered mine just over a month ago and I suppose it will be a long wait as usual but I'm really looking forward to using it with my Z9. Until then I'll soldier on with the 500pf.

Last edited:
Back