Nikon 800PF Review For Wildlife Photographers (Official Discussion Thread)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

First walk in the woods yesterday w/ the new 800. Coming from the FTZ 500PF, it's a no-brainer that the 800 is a bit more heavy, though the extremely well balanced design serves to mask some of that weight. It got heavier, quicker, while at the ready position, but I was still able to handle it for a good few minutes before needing to shake things out. Add to that, the larger size requires a bit more attention when maneuvering in brushy/wooded areas, especially with the super long Nikon hood. So yeah, bigger + heavier = penalty against your mobility and shooting comfort. We already knew that though.

Ergonomically, my one initial nit is the placement of focus ring and Control Rings... my hand naturally falls on the Control ring, wish it were the focus ring instead. Muscle memory will adjust over time, so no big deal. Again, this is my only nitpick, everything else is A+.

I'd been having some inconsistency "issues" with my FTZ 500PF, seemingly ever since the upgrade to the 3.0+ firmwares. The combo would front focus horribly (we're talking 1-2 bird's width of sharp focus in front of the bird), and I'd have cards full of shots where nothing was in focus, regardless of what AF mode I'd use. Next time out, it would work like a charm. Was rather depressed about the problem, and was working on sending it in to Nikon, but then I was able to land this 800PF. Well, happy to report zero issues w/ the new setup. Everything is razor sharp, perfectly in focus, no issues whatsoever. Subject Detect/Eye AF and 3D mode work marvelously. 500PF will need a trip to the shop though.

EDIT: turns out the "issues" I was having w/ the 500PF, was one of my own making... it's been bitingly cold here for the past few weeks, and most of my shots have been taken from my porch, and didn't realize that using a hood on a lens taken from inside warm to outside frigid, would cause problems. Well, it does. Lesson learned, but also a great relief knowing the 500PF is perfectly fine.

Image quality wise: this thing is perfect. I'm picking my jaw off the floor, shot after shot. Couldn't be happier.

So yeah, 100% happy here, if you can't tell :D

NIKON Z 9untitled_20230204_35.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
First outing with 800 this weekend at Muskatatuck NWR Indiana. Early morning photos were fine, ran into atmospheric issues in the afternoon and am learning how this focal length impacts photos. Last photo shows effects - photo shot at closest distance but sun was warming up ground.

Really happy with Z9 and Z 800 f/6.3 VR S combination. Of the 2K photos in the morning it didn’t miss a beat - over 90% in focus and only issues were operator head space and timing.
6A8EB52F-5696-4FB5-9993-B95EA405DD97.jpeg
CADA3446-921F-4600-B433-F1B87DC3E2D9.jpeg
AC30C564-AB05-4D03-9B8A-4CDC1F4BCBFD.jpeg
09D0388D-116A-425A-896D-3399EAECDE05.jpeg
9C67A0B3-2C58-457F-8F81-7D8A6B4140A7.jpeg
3C5D2B7D-3E24-46B4-9CA0-732AB8B99C20.jpeg

First walk in the woods yesterday w/ the new 800. Coming from the FTZ 500PF, it's a no-brainer that the 800 is a bit more heavy, though the extremely well balanced design serves to mask some of that weight. It got heavier, quicker, while at the ready position, but I was still able to handle it for a good few minutes before needing to shake things out. Add to that, the larger size requires a bit more attention when maneuvering in brushy/wooded areas, especially with the super long Nikon hood. So yeah, bigger + heavier = penalty against your mobility and shooting comfort. We already knew that though.

Ergonomically, my one initial nit is the placement of focus ring and Control Rings... my hand naturally falls on the Control ring, wish it were the focus ring instead. Muscle memory will adjust over time, so no big deal. Again, this is my only nitpick, everything else is A+.

I'd been having some inconsistency "issues" with my FTZ 500PF, seemingly ever since the upgrade to the 3.0+ firmwares. The combo would front focus horribly (we're talking 1-2 bird's width of sharp focus in front of the bird), and I'd have cards full of shots where nothing was in focus, regardless of what AD mode I'd use. Next time out, it would work like a charm. Was rather depressed about the problem, and was working on sending it in to Nikon, but then I was able to land this 800PF. Well, happy to report zero issues w/ the new setup. Everything is razor sharp, perfectly in focus, no issues whatsoever. Subject Detect/Eye AF and 3D mode work marvelously. 500PF will need a trip to the shop though.

Image quality wise: this thing is perfect. I'm picking my jaw off the floor, shot after shot. Couldn't be happier.

So yeah, 100% happy here, if you can't tell :D
You can switch the focus ring and control ring function in custom settings if you want.

Custom function F11. If it's greyed out, either the lens doesn't support it or needs a firmware update to.
This option was added just last month in FW 1.10 for the relevant Z Telephotos

Yep, new firmware for the 800 came out on Jan 17, 2023, and my lens needed it (y) Gonna try this new functionality out today, thanks fellas!
Congrats on your new lens Matthew!
Knowing that you owned the big lenses, this should be sort of a dream lens for you.
I was on a pre-order list since april, but the outlook in western europe for this lens is still pretty dim.
It was taking too long for me, and via a sideway of the Olympus 150-400mm f4.5, I ended up throwing my size hangups overboard and got the Sony 600GM for my A1.
The weight of this combo is entirely reasonable, and the size is easily forgotten when out in the field.
The IQ is jaw dropping, like your Z800PF.
Enjoy the lens!

Chris

Chris, congratulations to you as well! Glad you were able to find your way to the 600 f/4, it's been quite a journey for you, hasn't it? What's crazy is that the Sony setup you have is not that much heavier than this Z9 + 800PF (~181 grams difference). Very manageable in the field, I'd say!

Like you said, I went from the Canon 1DX2 + 600 f/4 III, to the D500 + 500PF, and at that time I swore off the larger glass, yet here I am again, back with the chunky kit. The 800PF is the perfect lens for how/what I shoot though, have always wanted 800mm on FF, so it's a weight penalty I suppose I'll endure for the time being; ultimately, we're probably all hoping to someday see an A1-sized Nikon body so we can cut a bit of that penalty down!

Having thoughts of picking up a nicely used D500 though, so I can throw the 500PF on and reminisce about the lightweight days of yore 😌

Chris, congratulations to you as well! Glad you were able to find your way to the 600 f/4, it's been quite a journey for you, hasn't it? What's crazy is that the Sony setup you have is not that much heavier than this Z9 + 800PF (~181 grams difference). Very manageable in the field, I'd say!

Like you said, I went from the Canon 1DX2 + 600 f/4 III, to the D500 + 500PF, and at that time I swore off the larger glass, yet here I am again, back with the chunky kit. The 800PF is the perfect lens for how/what I shoot though, have always wanted 800mm on FF, so it's a weight penalty I suppose I'll endure for the time being; ultimately, we're probably all hoping to someday see an A1-sized Nikon body so we can cut a bit of that penalty down!

Having thoughts of picking up a nicely used D500 though, so I can throw the 500PF on and reminisce about the lightweight days of yore 😌
Exactly my thoughts! Except I still own my old D500 and 500mm PF so I can use it when my body protests too much from using the Z9 and 800mm PF. I too had always lusted for an 800mm lens (had rented the f/5.6 a couple times) and when the price and weight of the PF lens was announced, couldn't believe it. Now it is hard not to use it since almost all my photography benefits from the longer lens. If only this lens had been available when I was younger.

Still exploring the 800mm PF lens I recently received so tried it out with the 2x TC on some of our neighborhood white-tailed kites as they are setting up their nest high up on our neighbors tree. When (and if they have chicks), the extra FL is needed (also for some other birds nests I go to photograph). As expected, it is tough to catch one in flight at that FL but for the sitting birds, definitely seems useable. Looking forward to giving it a try on a nest after the chicks have hatched.
Some processed photos using the 2.0TC are on my flickr site if interested:

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/60519499@N00/albums/72177720305843182]

Just got the news that my 800PF will be arriving next week. I still have 600TC on pre-order but I'll probably cancel that when it's my turn. If I can somehow justify the cost of 600TC in a couple months I can likely easily sell the PF for what I paid for it considering the shortage in Canada. :)
Enjoy your new 800mm PF lens! Who knows, maybe you will decide to keep it! It sure is fun to shoot:
[ ]

It's been a while since I've been this anxious for winter to be over! Good shooting conditions + fun subject are few and far between, so I'll take what I can get until the Spring migrants arrive. In the meantime, I've sold the 500PF + all supporting gear, got the Backlight 36L, am expecting Zemlin cap/hood on Monday, and lens cover sometime in the next week or two.

Usual, boring feeder birds for the next 2-3 months, like these House Finch in the Crabapple tree outback of my house. Really need more time in tangled woods to put the gear through its paces, these were fairly easy lay-up shots for testing & practice purposes. The 800PF + Z9 are just automatic, every shot coming back crisp and in focus, and the drawing this lens has is really nice.
NIKON Z 9untitled_20230211_21-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

NIKON Z 9untitled_20230211_12.jpg

Problematic photos with my Z9 and 800mm PF: I was driving around looking for subjects to photographic with my 800mm PF with the 1.4TC on. It had been a cold night for this area (in the high 30s) but now the sun was out full blast at around 10:30am and had been out for several hours. I came across a bobcat in a field and was taking its picture. Since it was hunting, I stayed in the car and shot from the window. The focus was on the eye but the grass behind the cat and the cat all seemed "funky". Is this due to heat waves rising from the grass? The possible heat inside the lens hood (had kept the windows open in the car but maybe it was warmer than the outside air)? Or an effect of the PF lens? This is the JPG non-process from NX Studio of one of the photos.
bobcat in the field.JPG

Problematic photos with my Z9 and 800mm PF: I was driving around looking for subjects to photographic with my 800mm PF with the 1.4TC on. It had been a cold night for this area (in the high 30s) but now the sun was out full blast at around 10:30am and had been out for several hours. I came across a bobcat in a field and was taking its picture. Since it was hunting, I stayed in the car and shot from the window. The focus was on the eye but the grass behind the cat and the cat all seemed "funky". Is this due to heat waves rising from the grass? The possible heat inside the lens hood (had kept the windows open in the car but maybe it was warmer than the outside air)? Or an effect of the PF lens? This is the JPG non-process from NX Studio of one of the photos.

looks like heat haze to me.

Back