Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don’t see the purpose of it in our needs. 50&85/1.2 is a dream already.
The 135 focal length I get with the 70-200.

It’s too long as a one lens for all outdoor shots.
In Studio we use the 135mm for head shot, at f/4.

Could be I’m missing something. I’m open to suggestions

In my career as mostly a studio photographer, the 85 has always done the heavy lifting, complemented by 50 and 135. I always got the best/fastest available, not because I care much about bokeh, but because the understanding that these were developed specifically for portraits: how they render the skin (color and contrast) and how gently they transition to the oof region. I transitioned to the Z 50 and 85 1.2s and I now ordered this one.

The example you posted, in my work, would be done with an 85. The 135 is for faces at the optimum (for me) distance from the sitter. Half body is 85 and full body is 50.

The IQ will not be different from your 1.2s.

These kind of shots pay my bills. For Stetson.

Img8448 (1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

not all lenses have to tickle all people's fancy.

there's lots of cases where for the shooting i do, longer is better. and faster is better.

but conversely, if you don't have the space, longer can be worse.

your needs should telegraph what equipment is optimal for your situation. then, maybe, if you're lucky, someone might make it.

ymmv

The 135 range is the one "studio" lens I use for automotive clients outdoors. I've been using my 70-200/2.8, but looking forward to using this one on a January shoot for Toyota.

LOL, yes the disappointment has definitely turned to bitterness. :D But it's really not about not having the lens in hand, it's about Nikon not saying a word about what's going on leaving the customer, me, utterly in the dark. If I'd had any inclination it was going to take this long I would have just defaulted to the fact that lens isn't actually available and would have, as my lawyering pals like to say, 'governed my behaviour accordingly.' Pissed at my retailer more, actually -- they are unwavering on their (once made sense) required deposit for orders of big glass, which makes no sense in this new world of 'announce. launch. ship date promise. trickle delivery maybe.' So they won't even let me spend my deposit on something else and stay on the list for the 600. Which is funny in a Kafkaesque kind of way (perhaps I over state it LOL).
Are there other dealers? I had "reserved" a D300 with a dealer who required a deposit to be on "his list". When the D300 hit the streets, I called to see where I was on the list and was told there weren't enough in their shipment to get to me. Later that day, I saw a D300 for sale on Ebay at an inflated price from that dealer! I called back and asked why they were selling them on Ebay when they had my deposit. My next call was to my CC company with a complaint, got my deposit back in short order and found another dealer who doesn't require a deposit (nor up-front payment)

Wow, this looks like a winner !

Per Nikon: ...."
  • Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while also supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. Fantastic expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject is achieved through the smooth gradation of bokeh that expands largely in front of and behind the focal plane, and the minimal color fringing of the bokeh.
  • ..."

photo
© Christian Ammann
photo
© Taru Rantala
It looks really an amazing lens

Are there other dealers? I had "reserved" a D300 with a dealer who required a deposit to be on "his list". When the D300 hit the streets, I called to see where I was on the list and was told there weren't enough in their shipment to get to me. Later that day, I saw a D300 for sale on Ebay at an inflated price from that dealer! I called back and asked why they were selling them on Ebay when they had my deposit. My next call was to my CC company with a complaint, got my deposit back in short order and found another dealer who doesn't require a deposit (nor up-front payment)
I'm on another list (no deposit required on that one). Word is that in Canada there have been a handful at best of the 600 delivered and all of those to ambassadors and a few NPS members. The 400s are starting to show up in small number, so just maybe....

I don’t see the purpose of it in our needs. 50&85/1.2 is a dream already.
The 135 focal length I get with the 70-200.

It’s too long as a one lens for all outdoor shots.
In Studio we use the 135mm for head shot, at f/4.

Could be I’m missing something. I’m open to suggestions
Hi Joel

I love your shots, Nikon should ask you to be their ambassador, really.

For outdoor portrait sessions, 135mm can turn any scene into a dreamy background, that is the power of 135mm.

Oliver

50&85/1.2 delivers that dream very well
Agree. 135mm working distance is problematic for a lot of indoor shooting locations, as you need a lot of room.

The main benefit over 85mm would be background compression effect as easier to get nice background in none ideal locations over the 85mm.

I have the sigma art 135mm f1.8, but is even heavier than the new plena and needs an ftz…
Mirrorless af is much better to shoot wide open than on my d810. I must still try it on my Z8.

Plena AF speed with dual motors should even allow use for action shots at events.

Even my sigma 135mm was fast enough for my 4 year old on his plastic motorcycle on my z6 ii and even used it a bit at my daughters kindergarten play. I later switched to my sigma 120-300 f2.8 for better range and bit faster af. I really need to try again on the z8, as AF likely a lot better due to Z8.

I'm on another list (no deposit required on that one). Word is that in Canada there have been a handful at best of the 600 delivered and all of those to ambassadors and a few NPS members. The 400s are starting to show up in small number, so just maybe....
You won’t regret waiting for it, it is just an amazing lens. Once it is in your hand, you will forget all the delivery problems you are going through. I hope you will get it very soon.

Adorama q&a video with Mark Cruz.. Q&A from video commentary even led to discussions on Z500 & several other hot topics, but if Mark knows anything, very diplomatic that cannot discuss anything not on roadmap. Seth is however generous with his feelings about any subject…
Pity that I missed the live stream, would have loved a discussion on mirrorless flash af assist beam…

Edit- likely US shipping date of 12th October for the Zf and the Plena, around 16minute mark.

Last edited:
Hi Joel

I love your shots, Nikon should ask you to be their ambassador, really.

For outdoor portrait sessions, 135mm can turn any scene into a dreamy background, that is the power of 135mm.

Oliver

Thank you @Oliver
Your compliment will be passed along to my wife as well.

I discussed the 135mm idea, we came up with the same bottom line, in studio it’s the 85/1.2. Outdoors we already shlep the 50&85/1.2 plus the 70-200. We can’t leave the 70-200 home. Kids, action shots, etc, we need the flexibility of the zoom.
Taking along the 135 just for a couple shots, we are doing with the 85 coming closer vs. losing time changing lenses and lens caps. kids have a very short attention span.

For smaller events (she recently started doing woman section only - In Jewish community Men and Women are in separate spaces by a divider)
Taking pictures of the family, its a 24-120 only. It’s not as enjoyable as studio work, but, you gotta go after the money. Using a 135 at events with 2 AD300’s at f/4+ isn’t going to show much difference on a 4x6 print.

When all that was available from Nikon were APS-C digital cameras I hated that my only options were a zoom lens or the 85mm prime. The 85mm provided the field of view of a 135mm lens and that was much too narrow for use indoors. As soon as the D3 full frame camera became available I bought the 105mm f/2.0 DC lens which is the best general purpose people lens made.

I would much rather use the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens than a 135mm prime for people photography. I can go wider with couples or narrower with individuals to get the framing I want and the best perspective for faces. Most folks do not appreciate how shallow the DOF is with a long lens and how much smaller aperture can be used for the same overall effect.

Also not appreciated is how a shallow DOF creates problems. Even with a 24mm f/1.4 prime lens I usually shot at F/2 or smaller apertures to get adequate DOF for the people I was photographing. What may seem more "artistic" for the photographer is gimmicky for the clients. Shooting for pay I put the needs of my clients above my own personal wants.

Do I want one? Yes. Do I need one and can I afford one? No.
Just wait a few years and get a mint used one as a lot of people will want one, but is a less versatile, speciality focal length for portraits than 70-200 or 85mm F1.2 that should have gotten instead. Lots of people will buy it based on reviews for indoor portraits without ever checking how practical it is for that use.

If budget allows and want 70-80% of the performance of the Plena, get a used f mount sigma art 135mm. I got mine used for 600usd equiv, as was much cheaper than nikon and sigma art f 85mm f1.4 as less used “speciality” lens. It is also much sharper than the nikon 85 f1.4. This before the release of them z 85 f1.2, so difference might have become smaller with the sudden influx of 85mm f1.4 for sale..

For portraits, it is definitely an outdoor portrait lens due to working distance needed. I got it as wanted to do weddings and were worried about only having the 85mm f1.8 and some wedding location backgrounds are less than ideal and you still have to deliver the photo’s the bride dreamt of since age of 16. Background blur and compression actually makes the 135mm better for this use case than the used 85mm f1.4 I was looking for…

Bokeh of the 135mm sigma is addictive and started shooting kids 1st new bike ride, easter egg hunts, pre-school concerts, astro etc, so actually more useful to me than 85mm f1.4. Only issue is to long for indoor portraits and it is heavy at around 1.1kg. AF is much faster than I expected and that on my z6 ii. I really need to take it for a spin on my Z8.

Last edited:
Wow, this looks like a winner !

Per Nikon: ...."
  • Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while also supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. Fantastic expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject is achieved through the smooth gradation of bokeh that expands largely in front of and behind the focal plane, and the minimal color fringing of the bokeh.
  • ..."

photo
© Christian Ammann
photo
© Taru Rantala
Could it be just a remake - refined mirror less version along the lines of the 135 F2 DC= de focus DSLR lens https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm

For Video this new lens i feel would be great, offering newer technology its a good tool for those that need it. I just cant justify the price.
Nikon is doing a good job of value adding building margin, may be next we will see limited edition products with super high prices LOL.

Only an opinion

Could it be just a remake - refined mirror less version along the lines of the 135 F2 DC= de focus DSLR lens https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm

For Video this new lens i feel would be great, offering newer technology its a good tool for those that need it. I just cant justify the price.
Nikon is doing a good job of value adding building margin, may be next we will see limited edition products with super high prices LOL.

Only an opinion
No. Completely different configuration. They have nothing in common.

What is a de focus ring?
Nikon's DC lenses allow you to change the spacing of an internal set of lens elements via the de focus control ring that very subtly changes whether there's additional defocus for the foreground (in front of the focal plane), is neutral or has more emphasis on defocusing the background. The effect isn't night and day but can add some visual interest to certain photos.

Here's a piece from Nikon that explains how DC lenses are created and includes some example images with varying defocus applied: https://imaging.nikon.com/imaging/information/story/0032/

To my eyes it's hard to see the subtle differences unless you click on the full size images and compare them on a decent sized monitor.

T
Nikon's DC lenses allow you to change the spacing of an internal set of lens elements via the de focus control ring that very subtly changes whether there's additional defocus for the foreground (in front of the focal plane), is neutral or has more emphasis on defocusing the background. The effect isn't night and day but can add some visual interest to certain photos.

Here's a piece from Nikon that explains how DC lenses are created and includes some example images with varying defocus applied: https://imaging.nikon.com/imaging/information/story/0032/

To my eyes it's hard to see the subtle differences unless you click on the full size images and compare them on a decent sized monitor.
Thank you 🙏

Only an opinion
As long as you don't need some serious focus pulls as the focus breathing on this lens is pretty high. Most "serious" cinematographers probably wouldn't like that aspect so not sure it would get credibility in that realm. If it's a relatively static shot with little to no focus pulling, would think it would fit the bill in video world quite nice.

As long as you don't need some serious focus pulls as the focus breathing on this lens is pretty high. Most "serious" cinematographers probably wouldn't like that aspect so not sure it would get credibility in that realm. If it's a relatively static shot with little to no focus pulling, would think it would fit the bill in video world quite nice.
You make a good point, it will be good to see how it eventually fits or goes in the hands of consumers.

Back