Nikon Z 180-600 ? ( replacement collars, filters)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you were buying this lens , would you buy a custom collar for it and if so which one? ( Get a stronger stronger collar or keep the fragile one that the camera comes with ?) Also when shooting with these long lens set-ups, do most people use a polarizer filter in highly sunny conditions or mostly just use a neutral filter ?

Usually I buy custom feet (or collar in this case) in order to have arca swiss built in and to have a QD socket for my strap. Although I rarely mount lenses on tripods/monopods and I rarely use my straps.
I also often like a 3rd party foot to have a longer foot as my handholding technique is to have the foot rest in the palm of my hand. I'm not one to shoot without a foot or have the foot rotated to the top and out of the way. The 180-600 foot actually looks long enough which is rare.

If I was getting the 180-600 I'd buy a replacement collar/foot once they come out mostly for the QD socket.

I never use filters on long lenses.

If you were buying this lens , would you buy a custom collar for it and if so which one? ( Get a stronger stronger collar or keep the fragile one that the camera comes with ?) Also when shooting with these long lens set-ups, do most people use a polarizer filter in highly sunny conditions or mostly just use a neutral filter ?
As posted above there really aren't any third party collars announced yet but it's also not clear at this point that the stock collar is fragile as much as it lacks an integrated Arca Swiss lens foot which a lot of us would love to see.

In terms of filters, I likely would not purchase the required 95mm circular polarizer filter for this lens. I do have drop in circular polarizers for my 600mm f/4 that I very rarely use but once in a blue moon is convenient in situations where there's a lot of glare in the scene that the polarizer can help reduce. I also have circular polarizers for some of my wide angle to moderate focal length lenses but as rarely as I'd expect to use it an expensive 95mm circular polarizer isn't something I'll invest in nor something I own for my other large diameter lenses like the 500mm PF.

A clear filter to keep your lens elements clean can make sense if you shoot in dusty or seashore environments with blowing sand and salt water but realistically I have one that I rarely use with my 500mm PF though if I find myself shooting in something like a windy day on the seashore I might slap it on to keep my front element clean.

In terms of impact and scratch protection I pretty much rely on the lens hood and really like this older video of Steve's where he went full MythBusters on the subject of protective filters:

I have always purchased an RRS collar in the past and swear by them. I can only assume RRS will have a collar for the 180-600, but they don't have it yet. Hopefully, it will be available at about the same time the 180-600 is available.

I used replacement collars from Kirk on my 200-500mm and 80-400mm they worked great, it'll probably be awhile before we see any for the 180-600mm. I messaged Promediagear and they are working on both plates and collars for the 180-600mm no ETA yet. They are also working on a Z 8 L bracket

I used replacement collars from Kirk on my 200-500mm and 80-400mm they worked great, it'll probably be awhile before we see any for the 180-600mm. I messaged Promediagear and they are working on both plates and collars for the 180-600mm no ETA yet. They are also working on a Z 8 L bracket
I had a Kirk on my 80-400 but wasn't happy with it. I bought the lens used and it came with the kirk collar. It had a thin plastic (nylon??) band which the lens was supposed to glide upon (I assume to cut down on friction) but the band became disfigured in time and made rotating the lens more difficult and very rough. I don't know if this is a common complaint or if it is still a feature in the collars.

You are getting far ahead of yourself. The lens has yet to ship Given a few months and then the major players will produce a replacememt foot and collar.

I have had several replacement collar/feet from RRS and have been very help with each.

I am expecting that much of the time I will use this lens hand held. At least initially I will use a long Arca plate on the factory supplied collar and foot. Since the factory foot will take two screws any long Arca plate should be secure. Once I have had time to evaluate the lens and see how I use it I will decide if a replacement collar is needed or desired.

I generally do not use a polarizer on a long lens. While the polarizer can help with saturation, contrast, and reflections the drop in light often requires upping the ISO to get adequate shutter speeds for hand held use.

FWIW: I like Wimberley for long Arca plates. I have been satisfied with both Kirk and RRS replacement collars / feet on past lenses.

I use a CPL in telephotos, particularly under open skies and across open water. We can expect 3rd party collars from the usual names, with some type of Arca-Swiss foot

More information is shared here on shoeing the 180-600

Interesting that you describe the OEM collar / foot as fragile. It will certainly be strong enough and fit for purpose. I’ve never seen one break yet.
There are a number of reasons why people buy aftermarket, mostly it’s because they want an Arco mount without using an adapter plate and want the QD socket as well.

As posted above there really aren't any third party collars announced yet but it's also not clear at this point that the stock collar is fragile as much as it lacks an integrated Arca Swiss lens foot which a lot of us would love to see.
I agree existing Nikon collars are not fragile - though the one for this lens seems to be one piece - possibly because of the 4 pound weight of the lens.

When buying an Arca plate finding one with both 1/4 and 3/8 screws (to eliminate twist) with appropriate spacing and screws in the middle of the plate to help get good balance with different weight bodies is somewhat challenging.

I already have 1/4 and 3/8 screw plates (for some other Nikon lenses) and will decide what I might buy after I receive the lens.

When buying an Arca plate finding one with both 1/4 and 3/8 screws (to eliminate twist) with appropriate spacing and screws in the middle of the plate to help get good balance with different weight bodies is somewhat challenging.
You can use a 3/8' to 1/4" reducer in the lens foot to use an Arca plate with two 1/4" screws. There are many Arca plates that can use two 1/4" screws. Generally one screw is fixed and the second one is slotted so there generally isn't a problem with spacing. Two 1/4-20 screws provides plenty of strength and will prevent twisting.

I would not bother with a custom collar for a lens that I would be using 100% of the time hand held and without a tripod. Same applied to the 200-500mm and 500mm PF and 400mm f/4.5 lenses. I do add a lens plate which is going to cost less than $20 if planning on shooting video with a lens but that is a different matter.

The lens uses 95mm size filters as did the 200-500mm and as does the 800mm PF lens.

I would not bother with a custom collar for a lens that I would be using 100% of the time hand held and without a tripod. Same applied to the 200-500mm and 500mm PF and 400mm f/4.5 lenses. I do add a lens plate which is going to cost less than $20 if planning on shooting video with a lens but that is a different matter.

The lens uses 95mm size filters as did the 200-500mm and as does the 800mm PF lens.
The 800mm PF uses 46mm drop-in filters.

You can use a 3/8' to 1/4" reducer in the lens foot to use an Arca plate with two 1/4" screws.
Agreed - but having had 2 reducers break over the years and sometimes needing the option of quickly fixing a 3/8th monopod fitting direct to this type of tripod collar - I choose something I consider suitably substantial.

Agreed - but having had 2 reducers break over the years and sometimes needing the option of quickly fixing a 3/8th monopod fitting direct to this type of tripod collar - I choose something I consider suitably substantial.
Many of the 3/8 - 1/4 reducers are only cast alloy. The better ones are usually stainless steel or brass and won’t simply break.

I've found this Sirui plate works well as a longer carry handle/scope for gimbal-balancing and no signs of failings with its securing on to the lens foot. As I use these primarily to have a longer carry-handle on the lens. Benro makes a similar version.
There are more expensive options from Acratech and Jobu. Note how Acratech sells their's with brass 3/8"-1/4" reducers.... i use brass or stainless steel.
Far more important IME is to measure the max width of the plate, which should be close to 38mm, and not have a flattened edge/corner. There's the real risk of the entire plate pulling out of a clamp under extreme torque (eg if the rig topples, and you stop the falling monopod/tripod....)

1688028417353.png

A QR plate sold as "Arca-Swiss" with this flawed design (photo bottom) is best avoided / scrapped

Last edited:
If you use filters on different lenses a holder for one that covers your largest diameter one and step-down adapters for the rest Is a good solution. I use Haida 150 mm grads and a circular polarizer in their 150 series holder. Similar kit is available from Lee. The Lee and Haida websites have useful information and 2Filter in New Hampshire seems to have most sizes and types in stock. Graduated ND filters are a great way to keep shadows and highlights within a printable range IMHO.

Interesting that you describe the OEM collar / foot as fragile. It will certainly be strong enough and fit for purpose. I’ve never seen one break yet.
There are a number of reasons why people buy aftermarket, mostly it’s because they want an Arco mount without using an adapter plate and want the QD socket as well.
Some of the collars Nikon has produced while not fragile are not smooth or do not grip as tightly as one would hope. And, click stops at regular intervals are certainly welcome.

Some of the collars Nikon has produced while not fragile are not smooth or do not grip as tightly as one would hope. And, click stops at regular intervals are certainly welcome.
Your point about collars that aren’t particularly smooth during rotation is valid. Unfortunately many collars are unable to be swapped out for an aftermarket one and only the foot can be replaced.

Back