Nikon Z 180-600 ? ( replacement collars, filters)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you were buying this lens , would you buy a custom collar for it and if so which one? ( Get a stronger stronger collar or keep the fragile one that the camera comes with ?) Also when shooting with these long lens set-ups, do most people use a polarizer filter in highly sunny conditions or mostly just use a neutral filter ?
Depending on how much I use it i may get a replacement arca collar/foot when they become available.
These days apart from a protective UV filter - polarizers are the only ones I still use.
I would have liked a slip-in filter like my other long lenses but everything is a compromise - and at the price of the 180-600 I can live with it... 🦘

I just found the iShoot Lens Collar for Nikon Nikkor Z 180-600mm. It's incredibly low priced so I don't know about the quality and I can't find any reviews. It seems well thought out.

It can be found on Amazon and EBay.

I get your point. But, if you do an Amazon search on iShoot collars for Nikon there are quite a few reviews on their other collars. And, if the alternatives are, say, $300 it's worth consideration.

Just sayin'.

if you do an Amazon search on iShoot collars for Nikon there are quite a few reviews on their other collars. And, if the alternatives are, say, $300 it's worth consideration.
Looking at the amazon UK site it is £49.99 - with free returns.

The actual collar looks similar in the way it clamps to Nikon.

The foot is Arca Swiss - I presume 1050 long (4.5 inches) although the site description is about half an inch at 105mm.

I prefer at least a 5.5 inch long plate with 1/2 and 3/8 screws which as a screw on plate costs about £25 in UK.

If the locking knob is OK and there are free Amazon returns in USA it might be worth a punt.

The question I have is how many people with the 180-600mm lens are using it for still photography and using it on a tripod. With the 70-200mm, 200-500mm, 80-400mm, and 100-400mm zoom lenses I have never used them on a tripod but always shot hand held. Only for shooting videos would I consider using such lenses on a tripod. The only exception was the 180-400mm lens weighing in at 7.7 lbs which with a camera mounted presented a total load of 11 lbs to manage.

The 80-400mm zoom could have the front section drooping down and support with the collar could conceivably provide a benefit. I have not noted this being a concern with the 180-600mm lens at 600mm extension.

The question I have is how many people with the 180-600mm lens are using it for still photography and using it on a tripod. With the 70-200mm, 200-500mm, 80-400mm, and 100-400mm zoom lenses I have never used them on a tripod but always shot hand held. Only for shooting videos would I consider using such lenses on a tripod. The only exception was the 180-400mm lens weighing in at 7.7 lbs which with a camera mounted presented a total load of 11 lbs to manage.

The 80-400mm zoom could have the front section drooping down and support with the collar could conceivably provide a benefit. I have not noted this being a concern with the 180-600mm lens at 600mm extension.
I use mine on a tripod whenever I can. I was out shooting rutting deer this morning and working with my kit from a trail. Carrying the lens on a tripod over the shoulder is easier for me than any other way. When a opportunity presents itself, I spread the legs and shoot. However, if I need to maneuver between trees and brush, I detach the gear from my tripod and shoot handheld...
I've been shooting for over 3 decades and am a bit old school. While I will shoot freehand, I definitely prefer to use my tripod.
bruce

Just got this from Kirk;

A label was created and your package is preparing to be shipped. We’ll send the delivery date when we get your package from the shipper.​

So the new collars are on their way!

EDIT- Delivery scheduled for Friday 11/24

Last edited:
I hardly ever use a tripod so all I am missing with the stock collar is a QD attachment point for sling carrying. A simple plate solves that.
I’m still looking for a solution. At first I thought about attaching a simple qd cup to the 1/4” screw hole. With z8 attached, the balance point is close to the center of the foot, so that wouldn’t work. Then I thought about a cup attached to a 1/4” screw with a 3/8” adapter though I’m not sure how functional that will be with a protruding cup. Now I’m back full circle looking at Chris Hejnar’s plate with a built in qd.

I use mine on a tripod whenever I can. I was out shooting rutting deer this morning and working with my kit from a trail. Carrying the lens on a tripod over the shoulder is easier for me than any other way. When a opportunity presents itself, I spread the legs and shoot. However, if I need to maneuver between trees and brush, I detach the gear from my tripod and shoot handheld...
I've been shooting for over 3 decades and am a bit old school. While I will shoot freehand, I definitely prefer to use my tripod.
bruce
Same with me.

I’m still looking for a solution. At first I thought about attaching a simple qd cup to the 1/4” screw hole. With z8 attached, the balance point is close to the center of the foot, so that wouldn’t work. Then I thought about a cup attached to a 1/4” screw with a 3/8” adapter though I’m not sure how functional that will be with a protruding cup. Now I’m back full circle looking at Chris Hejnar’s plate with a built in qd.
FWIW in terms of plates, I like my 5.25" Kirk for a few reasons but one not obvious one is it makes a good handle when carrying the lens and camera. Lots of real estate for that and the curve down from the original foot works well. And if you want to pop it on a tripod or monopod that's easy.

I have one, but asked if he (Hejnar) could make another that is longer and has two screw attachment holes instead of one.
Interestingly, I had an email exchange with Chris regarding the decision making behind the plate and I would have to defer to his expertise with regard to the design and engineering. FWIW, I've never had any of his plates/feet fail under load and I suspect he uses top-shelf materials. Of note, with the newer, lighter weight Nikon lenses and the Z8, I am finding that the load is insufficient to achieve a nice balance on my flexshooter pro. Are you suggesting that his plate length is too short for gimbal use?

Just got this from Kirk;

A label was created and your package is preparing to be shipped. We’ll send the delivery date when we get your package from the shipper.​

So the new collars are on their way!

EDIT- Delivery scheduled for Friday 11/24
I'm interested in your thoughts on this as well. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and see if RRS is going to make one or not or go with Kirk.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this as well. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and see if RRS is going to make one or not or go with Kirk.
I'll use it for a couple days and post something! I wanted an Arca Swiss foot for monopod or tripod use even though I rarely use it, I just don't like an attached plate.

I was concerned about supporting all that weight through a .250" screw, especially since there are two threaded holes in the foot. My other question concerned durability of the hard anodized QD attachment hole. I prefer a longer foot for hand carry.
I agree that’s a lot of stress on a single point and Even with replacement feet with multiple attachment points, I always use a safety leash with my qd. It’s a good question for Chris and I encourage you to reach out to him to ask.

I reached out to RRS and asked if they had plans to make replacement collar for lens. Just wanted to pass it along. This was their rather quick response.
“As of right now, working on getting an approved prototype lens and collar foot. As soon as we get a plate design made and approved, it will get started in the manufacturing process. At that point, we would know a more specific time frame for manufacturing and anodizing. For the time being, all the news is that a plate will be made soon!”

@ajrmd Can you provide photos of the safety leash? I use QD on a few lenses, probably should have a backup...
There are a lot of safety tethers out there and which brand or variation you choose is up to you. I never feel 100% confident with an expensive system secured at one point of contact, so depending on how I carry the lens (single, dual sling, etc.) I always add another connection. FWIW, I've never had a QD connector fail or suddenly disconnect, so perhaps it is overkill? As an example, my 800 PF's Hejar replacement foot has two QD connector cups. I have a primary QD which connects the foot to the sling and then the tether connects to the second QD. Alternatively, one could rig a tether around the foot, to a lens anchor, or even around the lens itself. I wouldn't recommend connecting a tether to the camera in the case of a heavy, telephoto lens as illustrated in the BR video. Here's one example of a tether... https://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-Camera-Safety-Tether-II/dp/B09PMMZ8XG. Does this explain the approach?

So I got the new Kirk collar today and just put it on the lens. I have not had a chance to use it at all. It's much sturdier than the Nikon collar it replaces. Fits like a glove and nice to hold. One thing I'm not crazy about is it has a spring where it clamps together that looks like it could get lost easily if you open it in the field. They actually send you a 2nd one I guess in case you do loose it. I'm thinking I probably won't take it apart anywhere but home so lot too worried besides I have a spare now.

All is all looks really well designed and well made for sure!

image0.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
So I got the new Kirk collar today and just put it on the lens. I have not had a chance to use it at all. It's much sturdier than the Nikon collar it replaces. Fits like a glove and nice to hold. One thing I'm not crazy about is it has a spring where it clamps together that looks like it could get lost easily if you open it in the field. They actually send you a 2nd one I guess in case you do loose it. I'm thinking I probably won't take it apart anywhere but home so lot too worried besides I have a spare now.

All is all looks really well designed and well made for sure!

View attachment 75048
This looks great, I have replaced all my telephotos with longer arca-foot plates for better balancing.

Oliver

I've found that the Nikon collar will progressively loosen as I walk around if it it not tightened (I typically keep the collar loose when hanging at my side). I'm assuming the spring keeps tension on the screw knob to help prevent loosening. I'd appreciate your feedback on whether the collar tension will stay the same if you are using it while it is free to rotate.

I've found that the Nikon collar will progressively loosen as I walk around if it it not tightened (I typically keep the collar loose when hanging at my side). I'm assuming the spring keeps tension on the screw knob to help prevent loosening. I'd appreciate your feedback on whether the collar tension will stay the same if you are using it while it is free to rotate.
Thank you for this observation.
When I lifted the 180-600mm from my backpack the other day the collar was loose and turned of itself. This surprised me as I did not remember loosening it. It is good to know - but a little alarming - that the collar can become loose of itself.
I would be inclined to take the collar off permanently but for its carrying mounts. I do not want to carry this lens unsupported or only from the camera. I may have to look for a replacement collar after all.

Back