Nikon Z 180-600 ? ( replacement collars, filters)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After I finally got my 180-600 after eight weeks I have mounted the iShoot replacement collar that was waiting in the shelf.
If you are used to the haptics when rotating high end F-Mount tele lenses or the S line ccompanions of the Z system, the haptics of rotating the lens in the (original) collar is not that nice really - just as it used to be with the 200-500. The iShoot collar is basically on a similar level, perhaps with a slide edge over the original.
So, unless the Kirk and RRS guys haven't done anything spectacular about this rotation haptics, IMHO I can't see a reason why to spend up to 8 times the money that I have to pay for the iShoot part. Stability and handling isn't an issue either, because in this weight class it is not that difficult to get i stable.

That said, there are two things to consider:
  1. For those planning to use the Rolanpro lens cover, this comes with a piece actually covering the entire original collar including the foot itself and this part will not fit any replacement collar providing an Arca rail directly.
  2. For those who know the iShoot release mechanism of the RT1 collar (for 70-200 f/4G and 300PF), please be aware that i Shoot does not use the same mechanism on the collar for the 180-600 (90° turn for locking/unlocking the lens and pull button for quick release of the collar). Instead they use a screw / thread similar to the original collar.
All in all I am happy with the collar and I can confirm that the Arca profile is well inside tolerances and attach, detach and hold flawlessly in the tripod heads I could test (Feisol CB-30D, Flexshooter Mini and Pro). Please note, that I am using the flexshooters with the little knob, not the lever version, so that minor deviations that could cause issues when changing from one lens to another on the same tripod with a lever version flexshooter, would not be recognizable for me.

After I finally got my 180-600 after eight weeks I have mounted the iShoot replacement collar that was waiting in the shelf.
If you are used to the haptics when rotating high end F-Mount tele lenses or the S line ccompanions of the Z system, the haptics of rotating the lens in the (original) collar is not that nice really - just as it used to be with the 200-500. The iShoot collar is basically on a similar level, perhaps with a slide edge over the original.
So, unless the Kirk and RRS guys haven't done anything spectacular about this rotation haptics, IMHO I can't see a reason why to spend up to 8 times the money that I have to pay for the iShoot part. Stability and handling isn't an issue either, because in this weight class it is not that difficult to get i stable.

That said, there are two things to consider:
  1. For those planning to use the Rolanpro lens cover, this comes with a piece actually covering the entire original collar including the foot itself and this part will not fit any replacement collar providing an Arca rail directly.
  2. For those who know the iShoot release mechanism of the RT1 collar (for 70-200 f/4G and 300PF), please be aware that i Shoot does not use the same mechanism on the collar for the 180-600 (90° turn for locking/unlocking the lens and pull button for quick release of the collar). Instead they use a screw / thread similar to the original collar.
All in all I am happy with the collar and I can confirm that the Arca profile is well inside tolerances and attach, detach and hold flawlessly in the tripod heads I could test (Feisol CB-30D, Flexshooter Mini and Pro). Please note, that I am using the flexshooters with the little knob, not the lever version, so that minor deviations that could cause issues when changing from one lens to another on the same tripod with a lever version flexshooter, would not be recognizable for me.
My experience with the Kirk replacement collar/foot for the 200-500mm is that it was very smooth. I'm expecting the same with the one I just ordered for the 180-600mm and will try to sell the one for the 200-500mm as I no longer have the 200-500mm. I've never tried any other replacement collars though so I can't really comment on any except the Kirk replacement collar. I absolutely hate the exorbitant cost of it , but overall I think it is worth it for my use case scenarios.

My experience with the Kirk replacement collar/foot for the 200-500mm is that it was very smooth. I'm expecting the same with the one I just ordered for the 180-600mm and will try to sell the one for the 200-500mm as I no longer have the 200-500mm. I've never tried any other replacement collars though so I can't really comment on any except the Kirk replacement collar. I absolutely hate the exorbitant cost of it , but overall I think it is worth it for my use case scenarios.

Great, thanks. In this case it would be interesting to know what they do different to make it so much smoother compared with the original - and whether it's possible to do some DIY tuning with the original or other replacement collars to achieve a similar result. Here in Germany the top brands are even more expensive than in the US I guess. The Kirk costs almost € 385 here !

Seem the Kirk one is back in stock. The price is bad enough - but an extrra two hundred USD, for delivery charges? Crap!
I’m in the US and it was $30 delivery for me by FedEx which I think is outrageous since it is a small light box but it is a two day delivery. I wish I could pay for a 1 week delivery instead.

The Kirk one looks like it's going to cost the earth, by the time it gets from the US to Australia - I've given up, I'm going with the Wimberley P-30 plate and it's on its way, should arrive by the middle of next week. Total cost, including freight, USD61.00 . When I went on to Kirk's site, by the time freight was added, it was 8 times that amount (USD466 actually - or AUD$717, as against AUD$97 for the Wimberley plate - which I can simply bolt onto the base of the Nikon collar/foot that came with the lens) I'll be able to apply the difference towards a ReallyRightStuff L-grip for the Z8, which costs about $440 plus postage. And a couple of memory card cases & a Nikon CL-L2 carry bag for my 180-600.

Last edited:
With my 200-500mm, 500mm PF, 100-400mm, and 400mm f/4.5 lenses I remove the collar and foot to make them lighter. I used the collar on the DSLR lenses to mount on a tripod for autofocus fine tuning but that is no longer needed with my Z cameras.

Back