Nikon Z6iii Review, Press Release, And Photos - Official Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

on-point!

and i’d go farther… “useless” is the word i might use 😂

i shot like 70k [sic] or so images over the last several days with some challenging lighting conditions and basically eyeballing (guessing) is still my best tool for highlights and shadow detail.

we can do better…

zebras (for BOTH highlights AND shadows) would be a good tool

also, my previously suggested subject detection driven exposure would be appreciated. the camera knows what you’re focusing on, use that info better
Yes, I think that summarizes it fairly well. Fortunately, the Z8/Z9 are fairly ISO-invariant so I shoot to preserve highlights and don't worry as much. Of course, I would prefer to nail the exposure every time, though if I underexpose by a hair in those situations, don't compromise the AF, and can still see in the EVF, it's fine.

Also the histogram is difficult to discern when you have just a small portion is blown out (such as a bald eagle head at a distance).
i shot like 70k [sic] or so images over the last several days with some challenging lighting conditions and basically eyeballing (guessing) is still my best tool for highlights and shadow detail.

we can do better…

zebras (for BOTH highlights AND shadows) would be a good tool

Right On!!!

I live in a low light/high ISO world of musicians on poorly, unevenly lit stages. Fortunately, the light usually doesn't change much. So, I use full manual (and other tricks) and test shots to set the highlights within 1/3 stop. That way, I have some chance of pulling the bass player at the edge of the stage out of the shadows. I have buttons programmed to facilitate this, but it still takes a few seconds.

As alluded to above, the histogram is basically useless the highlighted areas represent such a small amount of light and aren't discernable on the histogram...Yet they are usually the most eye-catching parts of the scene and absolutely cannot get blown out.

If there is a change in lighting (or reflection), accompanied by fast action, there is no way for a Nikon shooter to respond in a timely manner.

So Nikon: Bring on the Zebras!!

Thanks - and it does not have the dedicated subject detection mode for birds and it doe snot have Cycle AF areas (that one surprised me).
The cycle af areas was a surprise given all the other AF Area modes, hand off etc..

I ordered it for a compact low light camera to pair with my new Tamron Z mounts. Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 diIII VC VXD model A057Z and Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8 model A058Z.

And who knows after I get it and try it I might use it in low light on my Z800 less concern there over cropping if I am shooting the little birds :)

Great video @Steve - especially that body roll about 3:25 in. wow! Was that in the manual?? Anyways, it seems to be very video oriented too. I do like the User buttons as we see on the 6 & 7s ... so much more user friendly than the Banks ... although now that I've had 6 months with the Z8, I am getting to use them more effectively now. A definite learning curve.
This Z6iii isn't for me. I'm firmly with the Z8.... maybe a Z8ii ??

i don’t consider the z8 poor?
Maybe poor is the wrong word. Folks I know with Z8s go through 3 batteries in a day's shooting. My D850 would go all day on one, with lots of charge left over. I primarily shoot a Z9 now so perhaps my expectations that a camera last more than 1850 shots (Nikon's stated CIPA standard in the Z8 manual) is too high.

Just read on Thom's site that for the Z6III "Nikon claims the battery life is worst case 360 shots CIPA (with viewfinder)". So not nearly as long as the Z8 lasts.

With high frame rates it won't take long at all to burn through a batteries' charge. I guess we won't really know until folks get them in their hands and we see real world usage.

Maybe poor is the wrong word. Folks I know with Z8s go through 3 batteries in a day's shooting. My D850 would go all day on one, with lots of charge left over. I primarily shoot a Z9 now so perhaps my expectations that a camera last more than 1850 shots (Nikon's stated CIPA standard in the Z8 manual) is too high.

Just read on Thom's site that for the Z6III "Nikon claims the battery life is worst case 360 shots CIPA (with viewfinder)". So not nearly as long as the Z8 lasts.

With high frame rates it won't take long at all to burn through a batteries' charge. I guess we won't really know until folks get them in their hands and we see real world usage.
If the battery life is as good as the Z8, I'd say they are doing pretty well given the EVF's specs. When they advertised the grip and emphasized hot-swapping, I postulated that perhaps the battery life might be short, especially when video is a target market. Anyhow, I think of the Z8 as being fine as long as one places it in airplane mode and doesn't chimp much. Even when I was at Stick Marsh and pressing on the shutter continuously for a couple of hours I don't think that I went through more than 1-2 batteries at most.

Maybe poor is the wrong word. Folks I know with Z8s go through 3 batteries in a day's shooting. My D850 would go all day on one, with lots of charge left over.
those days are gone, don’t expect them to come back anytime soon if ever

I primarily shoot a Z9 now so perhaps my expectations that a camera last more than 1850 shots (Nikon's stated CIPA standard in the Z8 manual) is too high.
ignore the cipa. assume approx 2hrs for en-el15c, and about 5hrs for the z9.

frame rates don’t matter (mostly). it’s now runtime (or power on time)

those days are gone, don’t expect them to come back anytime soon if ever

ignore the cipa. assume approx 2hrs for en-el15c, and about 5hrs for the z9.

frame rates don’t matter (mostly). it’s now runtime (or power on time)
My wife was using up to 2 batteries in a 6 hour birding outing in her Z7II now she is down to just one and turns it off in between anticipated action. She is not a sudden BIF shooter when we are walking about she turns the camera off until I find a new bird. I tend to leave my Z9 on even though it is very fast to be ready to shoot when turned on as I lift it from my side on the Black Rapids Strap it is up and ready to go when the viewfinder get to my eye.

I do anticipate more battery use with the Z6III so ordered a couple of extras.

Right On!!!

I live in a low light/high ISO world of musicians on poorly, unevenly lit stages. Fortunately, the light usually doesn't change much. So, I use full manual (and other tricks) and test shots to set the highlights within 1/3 stop. That way, I have some chance of pulling the bass player at the edge of the stage out of the shadows. I have buttons programmed to facilitate this, but it still takes a few seconds.

As alluded to above, the histogram is basically useless the highlighted areas represent such a small amount of light and aren't discernable on the histogram...Yet they are usually the most eye-catching parts of the scene and absolutely cannot get blown out.

If there is a change in lighting (or reflection), accompanied by fast action, there is no way for a Nikon shooter to respond in a timely manner.

So Nikon: Bring on the Zebras!!
Completely agree - I fund my wildlife photography habit by doing theatre productions - so once again low light but with incredibly bright spot lights that change quickly so the picture control work-around is necessary since test shots aren't possible. Of course I also shoot sports which means I either delay photo delivery by converting RAW to JPG, or I deliver with possibly blown out JPG's since I can't use the picture control work-around.

Fantastic pre-review Steve. I depend on my Z6ii a lot for low light and am now very interested in upgrading.

Disappointed that there is no AF cycling option...Such a simple addition to the Z8/9 made an enormous (and surprising) difference for me.

Completely agree - I fund my wildlife photography habit by doing theatre productions - so once again low light but with incredibly bright spot lights that change quickly so the picture control work-around is necessary since test shots aren't possible. Of course I also shoot sports which means I either delay photo delivery by converting RAW to JPG, or I deliver with possibly blown out JPG's since I can't use the picture control work-around.

Yes. The ability to immediately assess exposure is a major omission on Nikon's part, particularly when it comes to JPEGS SOC.

Even blinkies in Live View would probably work for me. Surely there is no patent issues with that?

Great information, Steve. This initial thoughts video confirms that this is a great camera and a huge step forward, but also that it is not quite the camera I am looking/waiting for. Thanks for taking the time to get this out on the official Nikon announcement day.

Another great video @Steve

I did not hear anything about HE and HE*. I assume due to the same raw file size and increased buffer, these are required

I think it is a great camera but in the end I would be more interested if the camera was a z8 with a 24MP sensor. Of course it would cost more, perhaps a $1000, more but for me that would have been a better camera

I hope this is not off topic in this thread, but I have a question. I'm an amature photographer that enjoys shooting animals and landscapes. And I have been thinking about trading my Z6 up to a like new Z7ii which is somewhere around $1,900 currently. That is until I saw Steve's video on the Z6iii (at $2,500). One of my big draws toward the Z7ii is the increase in mp's from the Z6 and I see that the Z6iii has 24.5 mp as well. Worth the switch? Any and all advise is appreciated. ~Clif

I hope this is not off topic in this thread, but I have a question. I'm an amature photographer that enjoys shooting animals and landscapes. And I have been thinking about trading my Z6 up to a like new Z7ii which is somewhere around $1,900 currently. That is until I saw Steve's video on the Z6iii (at $2,500). One of my big draws toward the Z7ii is the increase in mp's from the Z6 and I see that the Z6iii has 24.5 mp as well. Worth the switch? Any and all advise is appreciated. ~Clif

In my opinion - that depends. If you're mainly photographing landscapes and very occasionally dabble in perched birds - Z7II will be great. If it's more wildlife / birds (especially BIF) - Z6III no questions asked. Expeed7 + nearly blackout free viewfinder + high resolution viewfinder alone will be so much worth it.

I have both Z6 and Z8 - and there's no comparison between the two, so if Z6III gets you close to AF performance of the Z8 (albeit at a lower resolution).... jump right in.

So I think I need an engineer here. The one think that puzzles me is the decision to go with a partially stacked sensor and keep the mechanical shutter as opposed to a fully stacked sensor only. I'm no engineer and I have no clue what the cost tradeoffs are, but why not go with a fully stacked sensor and get rid of the mechanical parts? Maybe the cost trade off doesn't pencil out between the manufacturing of the sensor against the cost of not only the mechanical shutter shutter parts, but also their more complex assembly? It just seems to be an odd choice. Plus it adds weight and complexity with respect to moving parts as opposed to the sensor. I also wonder if there is an impact of battery life. Does powering this combination shutter mechanism use more or less than powering one that is on sensor only? Not dissing the camera mind you. If I had not jumped to my Z8 in February, the Z6III would be it.

Back