Nikon Z6iii Review, Press Release, And Photos - Official Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks - and it does not have the dedicated subject detection mode for birds and it doe snot have Cycle AF areas (that one surprised me).
I expect we'll see those with a firmware update…after all the first is driven by the Expeed 7 and it's power and the second one seems like a no brainer as well. Might be that by the time they were trying to finalize the firmware it was too late to add the new to the other models options and still get all the regression testing done before release…or might be that they figure this is more of a consumer level body rather than a pro level body and the features were either unimportant for consumers or they wanted to differentiate it from the higher models.

@Steve I wasn't clear on the differences between bird detection and animal detection in your mind. Where does the Z6iii do the same as the 8 or 9 vs where does it fall short?
It's like with the Z8/9. Animal works with birds and (some) mammals, so you have to start with that. Doing birds in Animal mode is good, doing them in Bird mode is even better (Bird mode seems to be better at finding and sticking to a bird than normal Animal mode is).

Another great video @Steve

I did not hear anything about HE and HE*. I assume due to the same raw file size and increased buffer, these are required

I think it is a great camera but in the end I would be more interested if the camera was a z8 with a 24MP sensor. Of course it would cost more, perhaps a $1000, more but for me that would have been a better camera
It supports HE, HE* - I was using it in normal lossless RAW though, hoping for early compatibility.

Many thanks @Steve , a useful summary of the new features on the Z 6III and how it applies to Wildlife and helped me with my decision. I was wondering about selling my Z 9 for a Z 6III to compliment my Z 8 for low light. However, after seeing your review I am thinking there are just too many differences between the Z 6III and Z 8 and nothing extra special to justify the Z 6III. If the Z 6III had raw pre-capture I think I would have gone ahead with my plan and I feel a little disappointed after Nikon's teaser campaign about pre-capture.
I haven't looked to see and I'm too lazy to go over and pick up the body to check…but if you're in RAW are the precapture options just disabled? I could probably accept a FF jpeg for the pre takeoff shots if the remainder were still in RAW…but I'm guessing it doesn't work that way. I'm also quite confused why Nikon doesn't offer precapture in in RAW…the buffer in the Z8/9 is plenty for 4 or more seconds in RAW at 20FPS and while precapture isn't something I would use all the time…I would gladly accept the buffer hit of a second or half second to get it…and as a computer nerd I don't see any technical reason they couldn't just buffer the precapture period at the expense of using some of the buffer. There's got to be some technical reason they aren't doing that…but I'm darned if I can see one.

Overall…it's far better than I personally expected it to be and while my current stable has 2xZ8 and a Z7II…with the latter being reserved for walking around and travel with low photo expectations. If it's a mixed environment of travel and photo…I would take a Z8 and maybe the second one as well…but the AF and FPS in this body would…if I bought one…move the meter to lessen the need to carry the heavier Z8 on a mixed trip as opposed to having to. choose the Z8 or Z7II…a Z6III would get taken more than the Z7II would. I'll wait until we see Steve's production copy review and all that jazz…and then might swap the Z7II for one…it isn't like I can't afford it after all at my age and you can't take it with you so perhaps the enjoyment makes it worthwhile. In addition…the low light, low noise better EV and EVF performance are attractive since the Z7II is now 6 years old and camera years are pretty similar to dog years ya know. While the Z6III is still User Modes instead of banks, I can really work with either…but when I do pick up the Z7II I'm always feeling constrained because the AF doesn't work the same way as it's bigger and newer brothers.

And heck…it's only $2500:)

Maybe poor is the wrong word. Folks I know with Z8s go through 3 batteries in a day's shooting.
There must be something in the way various people shoot the body that causes these sorts of valid for them claims…while I've got 2xZ8 now I had an 8 and a 9 in April in Tanzania and even on the long day when I shot about 6,500 frames I barely got into the second battery on the Z8. I was shooting in 20FPS on both bodies and chose which to grab based on lens mounted to it (600PF or 100-400 and they switched between bodies a couple times)…but I did have the rear LCD off and didn't do much chimping on either body…and it's long been my practice since well before the Zs to turn the camera off except when shooting and not rely on standby. While nobody has really seen one of these yet…unless the partially stacked sensor or new EVF or LCD use a lot more power I would expect a Z6III to have at least as good battery life as a Z8. Rose was shooting a Z8 on the trip as well with a lot of video and while she used a second battery I'm not sure she ever got to the third one…and she wasn't griping about battery life so I guess she was happy with it. And as I said in another reply…this body will be so much more useful for wildlife than my Z7II is that I might buy one despite my earlier reservations. The 7II is my walk around/tracel body but anything remotely resembling photography as a primary or even secondary mission goal for a trip would force me to the better bodies…and while I would still take the Z8s on a dedicated photo trip I can see a lot of mixed use trips where a Z6III would get the nod over a Z8 for weight/size reasons.

In my opinion - that depends. If you're mainly photographing landscapes and very occasionally dabble in perched birds - Z7II will be great. If it's more wildlife / birds (especially BIF) - Z6III no questions asked. Expeed7 + nearly blackout free viewfinder + high resolution viewfinder alone will be so much worth it.

I have both Z6 and Z8 - and there's no comparison between the two, so if Z6III gets you close to AF performance of the Z8 (albeit at a lower resolution).... jump right in.
Thank you much, Luke. I appreciate your input.

I know you've heard this multiple times already, but I have to add my thanks for such a well done thoughtful review. Your work is amazing, especially considering the very short time you had possession of the 6iii. Thank you!
Thanks so much!

Here's another thank you for your excellent review of the Z6iii. Before I watched it I was afraid I was going to regret having got the Zf a few months ago. But I called it right in my mind. I thought it would not be that much different in the things that are important to me and your video confirmed it. I've never thought the viewfinder in the Zf needed improvement so I don't care about an improved viewfinder. Yes, it would be nice to have a couple of more function buttons but I can live without that. Most important to me is excellent AF including subject detection and low light and from what you are saying, it's the same as the Zf. I want a general all-round use camera, for travelling, street shots and portraits of family and friends. The Zf is perfect for me for those reasons. I love the retro look and when I want to use it with a telephoto, I can use a grip attached. But I have no doubt, the Z6iii will appeal to many Nikon users.

Here's another thank you for your excellent review of the Z6iii. Before I watched it I was afraid I was going to regret having got the Zf a few months ago. But I called it right in my mind. I thought it would not be that much different in the things that are important to me and your video confirmed it. I've never thought the viewfinder in the Zf needed improvement so I don't care about an improved viewfinder. Yes, it would be nice to have a couple of more function buttons but I can live without that. Most important to me is excellent AF including subject detection and low light and from what you are saying, it's the same as the Zf. I want a general all-round use camera, for travelling, street shots and portraits of family and friends. The Zf is perfect for me for those reasons. I love the retro look and when I want to use it with a telephoto, I can use a grip attached. But I have no doubt, the Z6iii will appeal to many Nikon users.

Add me to the Thank You, Steve list.

jhallettbc summarized my own perspectives perfectly, though to be honest, I pre-ordered a Z6iii before finishing your video.

Thanks for the great video. Very well done and informative! Has me thinking. I have a z8 which I love and just got a second, which I got in a kit with a z24-120 for a savings. But I like the idea of a lighter backup, though the resolution is a concern. Do I return the second z8 and get the z6iii and lens separately? I did not like the z6ii at all so that is one of my hesitations. Any idea how the battery life is compared to the z8?

Fantastic review, Steve!

Thanks for asking about the Z7III, even though we all knew you‘d never get more than a “shrug” answer all along.

One further question: Can we see more videos on roll technique? I’m used to seeing you have more in-depth reviews than others, but if this doesn’t become a standard part of your camera reviews (with quoted roll speeds per camera), I’d at least like to see a how-to video… perhaps early next April? ;)

Back