Nikon Z6iii Review, Press Release, And Photos - Official Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Steve
I am noticing that some of the other early reviewers are showing bird subject detection as one of the 9 subjects. I wonder if they did a firmware update after you had your time with it. Note this video at the 2:32 mark.
Hmmm something isn't consistent for sure here.
1718813158853.png

He had the camera just for a few hours, most likely he took footage from his review of the z8 to create the video.
I bet you are right. Ido remember someone else referencing having bird detection but I assumed they misspoke. I don't seem to recall who that was and have not been able to find it again.

@Steve
I am noticing that some of the other early reviewers are showing bird subject detection as one of the 9 subjects. I wonder if they did a firmware update after you had your time with it. Note this video at the 2:32 mark.
That makes sense to me…given it's the same processor and to a large extent we're just talking buttons and menu code…I would expect both Cycle AF Area and Bird SD to show up either with the production copies or shortly thereafter. I see a couple of folks speculated he used footage from another review…but absent any details on that from the guy in the video (which I did not watch completely) and given the ongoing work on the firmware pre-release and an unknown amount of time (probably not just a week or two based on Ricci having it for several months) that Nikon reps were wandering around with bodies…and not knowing where in the queue Steve's turn was…saying it was part of another review or that the firmware either never changed or changed more than once during the pre-release review meetings seems like a guess to me. We'll know in a week or so for sure.

Ricci said in his review that bird and animal are combined in animal subject detection on the Z6iii. I’m not sure if that means they modified Animal AF to more accurately detect bird eyes similar to bird AF or if it is like the old firmware prior to the updates that included dedicated bird AF. He also mentioned something about a future firmware update but did not not catch what he had said or implied. So I’m thinking there is currently no dedicated bird subject detection on the Z6iii for now

Ricci said in his review that bird and animal are combined in animal subject detection on the Z6iii. I’m not sure if that means they modified Animal AF to more accurately detect bird eyes similar to bird AF or if it is like the old firmware prior to the updates that included dedicated bird AF. He also mentioned something about a future firmware update but did not not catch what he had said or implied. So I’m thinking there is currently no dedicated bird subject detection on the Z6iii for now
Could be…we'll find out I guess. Jan Wegener reported (I think and I think that Steve's video did as well) that animal on the Z6III seemed subjectively to work a little better for birds than animal on the Z8/9. Either way…I think the size and lower cost will make this a clear winner for Nikon and a lot of users.

Great intro review. Steve, I noticed you shot the 600 f/4 TC quite a bit with the Z 6III. I’m curious to know your thoughts on that specific pairing. How did it balance? Did you notice the 1.5 pound difference between the Z 6III and the Z9 when paired with the 600 TC? Does the 600 TC/Z 6III pair handle similarly to the Z9/800 PF pair?

The 600 TC lens alone seems light to me. I can’t help but wonder if it would maintain that lightweight feeling with a Z 6III attached at times instead of the Z9 which definitely adds noticeable weight to me, although not a burdensome amount.

Thanks.

Great intro review. Steve, I noticed you shot the 600 f/4 TC quite a bit with the Z 6III. I’m curious to know your thoughts on that specific pairing. How did it balance? Did you notice the 1.5 pound difference between the Z 6III and the Z9 when paired with the 600 TC? Does the 600 TC/Z 6III pair handle similarly to the Z9/800 PF pair?

The 600 TC lens alone seems light to me. I can’t help but wonder if it would maintain that lightweight feeling with a Z 6III attached at times instead of the Z9 which definitely adds noticeable weight to me, although not a burdensome amount.

Thanks.
It worked pretty well - in fact, I think I put it on a gimbal and it balanced - I think (it was like 3 weeks now and we did a lot of stuff). No complaints anyway. Also, keep in mind that many of us have been using the Sony a1 on a 600GM and the A1 is roughly the same size as the Z6iii, so no worries in that dept IMO.

Tough to say. I think it really comes down to how critical the extra size / weight is with the 2nd Z8. I personally like having two identical cameras when possible, but I also see a use for the smaller Z6iii at times. Overall though, I would guess the 2nd Z8 is the way to go.
Thank you for that. I agree- makes sense to have two of the same. Plus I love using the z8 so why not have two!

Does the Z6III have focus stacking/shift? I found on the web some conflicting fact sheets. One website stated that the Z6III does not have this feature compared to the Z6II.

ive decided that I might get myself a Z6III to replace my Z7II so that my travel body is more capable for wildlife as the Z7II essentially is only good for static wildlife because of earlier gen AF and FPS. I’m also going to sell my Z 7–200 and 400/4.5…and will probably send them to MPB but figured I would post here just in case anybody is interested…sort of a first dibs. The Z7II is going regardless of the Z6III decision because it hasn’t been used in the 2 years since I go my Z9 and then swapped it for 2 Z8s. And TBH I’m not sure the Z6III would get used enough to make it worthwhile anyway…so it isn’t a near term decision.

Last edited:
NikonRumors has posted useful comparison photos of size of Z6ii, Z6iii, Z8.

I would expect both Cycle AF Area and Bird SD to show up either with the production copies or shortly thereafter.
I am not sure of this which leads me to a question for the group. Cycle AF would seem simple to add to the button choices so it seems like a choice was made not to have it. Bird SD is probably more complicated.
Looks like you can set the FN1 and FN2 button to choose an AF mode with AF-On I think.
How do the U1,2,3 dial stops work on the Z cameras - haven't used them. Are they similar to banks and would they be useful for merely changing AF mode?

Via NikonRumors which reposted from Nikon Z6iii Users Facebook: A photographyer in Malaysia already received theirs. They have a picture of the box which clearly says 24-120 kit. Here in USA, though, you can only get 24-70 f4 kit. Will 24-120 kit be coming to our country?

Via NikonRumors which reposted from Nikon Z6iii Users Facebook: A photographyer in Malaysia already received theirs. They have a picture of the box which clearly says 24-120 kit. Here in USA, though, you can only get 24-70 f4 kit. Will 24-120 kit be coming to our country?
I suppose that’s up to Nikon USA.

Back