Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a question regarding the Auto Capture on the Z8 fw 2.0

I have my camera setup for "normal shooting" with bird detection, as this image shows:
photo-1-jpg.81389

Now I go into the Auto Capture setup and I choose to use motion detection only, like this:
photo 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

When the Auto Capture is up and running, despite the fact that detection is disabled in my Auto Capture setup it shows the bird detection symbol:
photo 3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Now my question, does this mean that despite the Auto Capture detection is disabled it is still using the camera bird ID to fire up the camera? Steve....pls?

Thx....

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 789
I have a question regarding the Auto Capture on the Z8 fw 2.0

I have my camera setup for "normal shooting" with bird detection, as this image shows:
photo-1-jpg.81389

Now I go into the Auto Capture setup and I choose to use motion detection only, like this:
View attachment 81390
When the Auto Capture is up and running, despite the fact that detection is disabled in my Auto Capture setup it shows the bird detection symbol:
View attachment 81392

Now my question, does this mean that despite the Auto Capture detection is disabled it is still using the camera bird ID to fire up the camera? Steve....pls?

Thx....
The way you have it set, AC is ONLY using motion. You have to have have the Detect box checked for it to use subject detection to determine if it's going to fire or not. In this scenario, there might be a bird in the viewfinder but if it's not meeting the motion criteria, the camera won't shoot,

One more for Steve... 🙂

In your book (version 1.4.0) in page 294, second paragraph you wrote:
"Finally, there are some restrictions for Auto Capture. You can’t use it with the “Bulb” setting, any of the crop modes (it’s FX only), or the self-timer."

However, when I´m in Auto Capture mode on my Z8 the blinking DX still shows up. Is it a new Z8 fw 2.0 feature comparing with the Z9 fw 4.0 or a Z8 fw bug?

I understand that everything in your book that relates to the Auto Capture subject was written for Z9 only....

The way you have it set, AC is ONLY using motion. You have to have have the Detect box checked for it to use subject detection to determine if it's going to fire or not. In this scenario, there might be a bird in the viewfinder but if it's not meeting the motion criteria, the camera won't shoot,
Thx Steve.
Then, the bird symbol shouldn't show up, this way it misleads us when using AC. I see it as a Z8 fw 2 bug...

Last edited:
One more for Steve... 🙂

In your book (version 1.4.0) in page 294, second paragraph you wrote:
"Finally, there are some restrictions for Auto Capture. You can’t use it with the “Bulb” setting, any of the crop modes (it’s FX only), or the self-timer."

However, when I´m in Auto Capture mode on my Z8 the blinking DX still shows up. Is it a new Z8 fw 2.0 feature comparing with the Z9 fw 4.0 or a Z8 fw bug?

I understand that everything in your book that relates to the Auto Capture subject was written for Z9 only....
The Z8 allows DX mode and I've already corrected it in the book - two days ago - although no one but me has access :D

The vast majority of the advice in that book is exactly the same. 99% of the firmware between the two cameras is the same. As for button configurations, they are always in flux as I try different things with new firmware :) Right now, I think the difference is that the video record button is set to cycle AF arms and Fn1 is now Auto AF. I think the rest is probably the same. Also, it's pretty easy to change - and what works for me may not prove a good fit for you. So, don't get too locked into my configuration, just use it as a starting point and adjust as you go :)

As for when, I don't know. I'm working on it but it's not something I can pin down to a date.
I think that's a great point in terms of button assignments being in flux and I am still experimenting to find the combination which works best for me. The new 2.0 firmware is a gamechanger for BIF/Wildlife and it certainly facilitates reconfiguration. With the AA AF being a good base for shooting birds/BIF/wildlife etc., I'm back to assigning it to the shutter button, though it's a constant compromise as one loses the ability to "toggle" the af on/off as one can do with a separate button assignment. When I assign the shutter to af, then the BBAF becomes a 1x1 square (to assist in the "bump" and/or handoff when AA doesn't find the subject) and fn1 is my cycle AF as I can keep the index finger on the shutter and rapidly change my AF mode. Then again, I've been experimenting with other combinations such as leaving BBAF to the default AA, nothing to the shutter, AF cycle to the video record, and AF toggle to fn1. Definitely a work in progress and a good problem to have!

Latest combination that I am trialing…
1) SB - A6 “off”
2) AF On - Af On in customizable controls (I.e. BBAF)
3) Vid on - AF cycle between AA and 3D (+- wide small)
4) Fn1 - Af On/C1 (1x1)

Rationale: still have benefits of BBAF and single point af while maintaining handoff and can conveniently cycle af modes for the BBAF depending on the situation.

For example, perched birds, I find 3D tracking is good and I can use single point to identify and handover to 3D on the AFOn. If I’m shooting BIF I just toggle the af mode to AA by pressing the video button and fire away. Alternatively, I have an instant recall to BIF settings assigned to another button (disp).

Post your settings and why they work for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
The version 2.0 is a great improvement. There is one item I would like to add to my wish list for "ver 2.1" though:
Make the settings on the Photo and Custom Banks sticky or allow the user the choice to have it On or Off

I thought this was useful for eliminating the mirror slap of DSLR's but mirrorless doesn't have that. So are you using this for landscape photo's to eliminate any wiggle from pressing the shutter when on a tripod? Or maybe I'm completely missing the feature?

Yes, that is the reason for shutter delay as pressing the shutter button will add a little movement to the camera. I still prefer a remote release as I can time the moment of shutter capture e.g. in seascapes I can time the shutter when the wave is in the best postion. I love my Nikon WR11 but if you cannot afford this then shutter delay is free and works great unless you want to time the shutter press exactly.

I thought this was useful for eliminating the mirror slap of DSLR's but mirrorless doesn't have that. So are you using this for landscape photo's to eliminate any wiggle from pressing the shutter when on a tripod? Or maybe I'm completely missing the feature?
The vibration I am trying to eliminate is from my finger pressing the shutter release. I could use a cable release - but it means one more piece of gear to keep up with. As compared with the TImer, there are a lot more options for the amount of delay you want using Exposure Delay Mode - not to mention the blinking light associated with the timer is not present. For night or astrophotography, a blinking light would be a major problem if there are any other photographers in the area.

Every new firmware update means re-evaluating button assignments and shuffling them around to accommodate updates. I'm not complaining tho. This update was very nice and well worth the time it took me to rethink button changes....It's kinda see-saw battle between my Z8 and Z9 and this time buttons have changed on the Z8 forcing some changes on my Z9 as well even tho its FW isn't changing [yet]. This latest round had me trying a bunch of things but I finally swung around to Steve's setup on Cycle AF and assigned it to the Video Record button. Of course that mean moving what I had there and that morphed into a change in how I modify Subject Detection. I now have my LFn button assigned to Top item in My Menu which is Subject detection. From there i can change SD modes and even turn it off. It's fairly quick to do - but not instant - there are some disadvantages to this setup but I'm not finding the need to change SD modes, or turning it on/off, to be something that needs a faster way using the RSF or RSF Hold function.

I'd really like to see a 'Cycle SD mode' (with selectable list) in the next FW release....I think that would 'scratch a lot of our itches' regarding SD....

And now I'll fumble around until I get used to these new assignments (sans Video Record on the Z9 and it's now blank, waiting for the Cycle AF feature)...:)

Again, hats off to Nikon for improving and updating our existing cameras!!!

Last edited:
Yes, that is the reason for shutter delay as pressing the shutter button will add a little movement to the camera. I still prefer a remote release as I can time the moment of shutter capture e.g. in seascapes I can time the shutter when the wave is in the best postion. I love my Nikon WR11 but if you cannot afford this then shutter delay is free and works great unless you want to time the shutter press exactly.
Well that's an excellent point as well, especially since I live next to the ocean and have had the occasional challenge of trying to get the waves just right... Since I went to mirrorless I have found the IBIS to work so well I am leaving my tripod at home more and more; however, I wonder if this has just made me lazy so maybe resurrecting my ND filters and getting that tripod back out might re-awaken some of my artistry.

In contrast to the self-timer, the green AF-assist LED is not activated in exposure delay mode
Another excellent point, I assume we are using exposure delay in static scenes but I can see not having a bright light attracting attention could be beneficial in certain situations.

The vibration I am trying to eliminate is from my finger pressing the shutter release. I could use a cable release - but it means one more piece of gear to keep up with. As compared with the TImer, there are a lot more options for the amount of delay you want using Exposure Delay Mode - not to mention the blinking light associated with the timer is not present. For night or astrophotography, a blinking light would be a major problem if there are any other photographers in the area.
Brilliant, astro photography and the blinking light does not make for a good situation...

Greatly appreciated, you all are wonderful in helping others see reasons to do or not to do certain settings. (y)

Last edited:
Every new firmware update means re-evaluating button assignments and shuffling them around to accommodate updates. I'm not complaining tho. This update was very nice and well worth the time it took me to rethink button changes....It's kinda see-saw battle between my Z8 and Z9 and this time buttons have changed on the Z8 forcing some changes on my Z9 as well even tho its FW isn't changing [yet]. This latest round had me trying a bunch of things but I finally swung around to Steve's setup on Cycle AF and assigned it to the Video Record button. Of course that mean moving what I had there and that morphed into a change in how I modify Subject Detection. I now have my LFn button assigned to Top item in My Menu which is Subject detection. From there i can change SD modes and even turn it off. It's fairly quick to do - but not instant - there are some disadvantages to this setup but I'm not finding the need to change SD modes, or turning it on/off, to be something that needs a faster way using the RSF or RSF Hold function.
I am finding the same, new fw releases (especially big ones like this) mean re-thinking button assignments.

For the past two decades I have been a BBAF believer; however, last year someone on this forum introduced me to a new way of shooting (or maybe an old way with a new twist) and that was using the shutter button to engage AF and take the shot but utilizing the back button for 3D handoff (what I'm calling BB3D). This has yielded a higher "keeper" rate for my style of shooting as I had not realized how "delayed" I could be in pressing BBAF to wake up AF, but my index finger is much quicker at being at the ready with half shutter presses. Anyway, Steve recommended Cycle AF to the the Video button (which I had not used yet (for custom control) but realized during still photography this button isn't used at all so it makes sense to take advantage of it); however, right now my center joystick (sub-selector) is set for Recall Shooting Function (RSF) Subject Detect (SD) On/Off toggle, but now with Cycle AF and how I am using BB3D it frees up my thumb a bit more and since I'm using the joystick for AF box position anyway I think it makes sense that I switch the behavior of center joystick with video button and allow my center joystick to be my cycle AF and the video button will now be my SD on/off toggle.

The beauty of these custom controls is we can each setup our cameras to meet our individual needs. At the end of the day it's about what is most intuitive for us, but what can work against us is building muscle memory for certain layouts and when a fw update comes and you decide to change your layout now you have to re-train that muscle memory.
I'd really like to see a 'Cycle SD mode' (with selectable list) in the next FW release....I think that would 'scratch a lot of our itches' regarding SD....
Yes, I think this is one of the most highly sought after updates going through this thread.
And now I'll fumble around until I get used to these new assignments ...:)
I think we're all in the same boat ;)
Again, hats off to Nikon for improving and updating our existing cameras!!!
I agree, that is what impressed me with Nikon when I got my Z6, even after the Z6 II was released Nikon continued to do fw updates for the older Z6 which I greatly appreciated, in a world where many electronics companies are trying to force users to buy new equipment, it's refreshing that Nikon is still supporting older products. Hopefully this future proofs the Z8 for quite some time...

does anyone think that Nikon will synch FW releases for the Z 8 and Z 9. would be nice to have the same functionality in both cameras so we (I) don't have to remember which camera does what.
given this release i’m starting to think they won’t. i suppose that gives them the time to focus on testing what’s different between the cameras.

does anyone think that Nikon will synch FW releases for the Z 8 and Z 9. would be nice to have the same functionality in both cameras so we (I) don't have to remember which camera does what.
This would be nice. I think many see the Z9 and Z8 as brother and sister in a professional toolkit, where many pros (and advanced amateurs) will have both bodies and purchase both bodies since they have essentially the same capabilities. When out on a photo shoot it is frustrating to have to remember which body does what because they are on different fw release. That being said, it was previously mentioned that two different teams are responsible for fw with Z9 and Z8 and so it is likely that we'll continue to see this 2-3 month delay between fw releases on the bodies. If Nikon could narrow that down to about a month that would certainly help but it is questionable on whether or not they would actually synchronize (same day or within a few days) the releases unfortunately.

Back