Nikon Z9/500mmPF/TC14Eiii teleconverter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had never been a fan of teleconverters until I bought my 1.4Z teleconverter. I had a version 2 f-mount that I tried with my 200-500 Nikon lens and quickly sold it. I recently got the Z9 and have the 500mmPF which is about as heavy as I can go do to bilateral arm issues. I decided to seek out a used version 3 TC14E and found one this Weekend at KEH. I received it yesterday and tried it out some at home and also took it out to a local state park for 5 hours today. I have to say that I am blown away with the speed and accuracy of the autofocus using this with the 500PF. Being it renders it an f/8 aperture, it's still very good even just after sunrise. I removed 4-5 times to test the speed and I honestly cannot tell a difference at all. The colors and detail also seem very good but do require a bit more sharpening to achieve the same results as the bare lens. I can easily say there's little to no difference in performance of this TC vs the ZTC on my 70-200Z lens. I do feel the images are somewhat better with the native TC/Lens but no substantially. I did use it on a monopod this morning and tried it some at home handheld, both with good results. I will post some examples of the images from today. All have been ran thru Denoise AI are were originally full size raw and not compressed. I have to say I was not expecting the performance to be as good as it is. My theory is, its possibly due to the increase in voltage from the ENEL18D as opposed to the ENEL15C battery. Whatever it is, it just works!
NZ9_2362-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
NZ9_2366-Edit.jpg
NZ9_2415-Edit.jpg
NZ9_2417-Edit.jpg
NZ9_2276-Edit.jpg

That’s good to see you have noted good results from the TC 1.4 III version. I use that TC on my Z7II and the 300PF for a light weight hiking kit which gives me a f5.6 with some added distance. I’ve been curious to see how this TC performs on the Z9 and the 500pf. It’ll take some good light though for the f8 Aperture.

I don't think it's just a battery issue - the 500pf + 1.4TC is slow to acquire focus and not very accurate on the D850 with grip and EN-EL18 battery. It's actually a bit faster and infinitely more accurate on a Z6/7ii and their lonely small size battery. Battery power might play a role in how good it gets on the Z9 but the new mirrorless AF systems and how well they work at f:8 and smaller play a huge role here.

That lens/TC combo on Z bodies gives very good results, more consistent then on DSLRs. This is from the Z50/500PF/1.4x. I think the big difference is that I found that combo much slower to focus (even the bare lens) on the Z50 and Z6 but it seems like (just from reports like yours) on the Z9 the adapted lenses focus much faster. I don't have the lens anymore but it's one of those that I'll always say was one of my favorite.

1/1000s, F8, ISO6400

DSC_1650_1500-2.jpg

That lens/TC combo on Z bodies gives very good results, more consistent then on DSLRs. This is from the Z50/500PF/1.4x. I think the big difference is that I found that combo much slower to focus (even the bare lens) on the Z50 and Z6 but it seems like (just from reports like yours) on the Z9 the adapted lenses focus much faster. I don't have the lens anymore but it's one of those that I'll always say was one of my favorite.

1/1000s, F8, ISO6400

View attachment 32477
Very nice image!

Great images and thread, thanks everyone. Big fan of 1.4TCIII (on 300Pf in my case). Look forward to trying on Z9, if it arrives. Enjoying landscape Z7ii snowdrops meantime.

Looking great !! I was pleasantly surprised that my 500pf and 1.4TC worked so well on my new Z6II back up camera. Anxious to get the Z9 and try the 500pf and the 600 f/4E out with the 1.4TC. I was quite impressed with the Z 1.4 TC on the Z100-400 on the Z6II ... I even shot one bird in flight.

Looking great !! I was pleasantly surprised that my 500pf and 1.4TC worked so well on my new Z6II back up camera. Anxious to get the Z9 and try the 500pf and the 600 f/4E out with the 1.4TC. I was quite impressed with the Z 1.4 TC on the Z100-400 on the Z6II ... I even shot one bird in flight.
How do you like the 100-400?

Back