Nikon z9 just froze, what is with that?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I experienced a camera freezing only with the D500 and the early XQD cards. I had defective ones from Lexar and Sandisk. When I removed the card and turned the camera off and then back on there was no problem with the camera.

Error recovery is seldom provided with devices written to removable media and it comes down to timing issues with the card and the driver of the device as both need to work together perfectly. I stick to using top tier memory cards to minimize problems with them and the manufacturers are good at replacing defective cards, especially Delkin with it CFexpress cards.

James hi, good question , yes I did a full format with a brand new delikin black card that was never used before. Shot about 700 new images on it since this last post and the Z 9 worked fine , but in back of my mind is what if it just freezes up again ?
I had mine freeze up with a moose in front of me. I slid the battery out about an 1/2 inch and then back in. Everything fired back up and I kept shooting. Lost maybe five seconds.

Hi,
Anyone know why this may have happened.
Brand new z9, latest firmware, battery fully charged, fast Belkin black 325 gb card with tons of room on it, shooting horse images at 20 frames per second; then the camera mid session just stopped firing and would not turn off. Quick internet search back in hotel room , suggested to remove the battery and put it back in and this seemed to work.
My question why did this happen as this really was an issue? Having your kit in a workshop freeze up in the middle of a session is a hassle. Now I don’t trust it not to do it again , anyone else have this Z9 issue or know why it might have happened?
Never happened with my d 850 .
Nikon i believe was keen to get issues resolved very fast with lock ups-freezing etc ? with update 3.10 in order to get out the Z8.

I feel the issue is a design issue not yet fully resolved, that's clear, given that, i would not be surprised if the Z8 reflects at some stage issues had with some of the Z9, being they are so similar.

The extent or level of issues is hard to gauge accurately, is it a serious concern only when it happens to you. Excusing or accepting issues as tolerable is wrong, the issues should not be justified on low incident numbers, not at this level product and pricing.

My concern is these known issues occurring when the unit is out of warranty, or during a shoot or videoing a wedding etc.

Let it ruin your shoot or your expensive trip, its an experience you don't really want, its not good when you cant fully trust your tool.

Only an opinion

None of the camera companies or electronics companies are ready to believe in what their customers say. Maybe they're worried about some potential class action suit if they acknowledge an issue? The first reaction is always a denial. Now if you still insist they just accept the product and send it back with a standard BS "everything works as it should".

I have had terrible experiences with both Nikon and Sony (haven't owned any other brand). When I faced the shutter error due to sensor shield, the first thing I did is to pull my phone out and take a pic. Every time it recurred, I just recorded a video using my phone. When I went to the service centre, as usual they just truned on the camera and said it works. I then showed them the photo and several videos and they immediately accepted the unit for repair. The front desk asked me to share the videos and they forwarded it to the service manager. I received a call from the service manager the very next day and he said he already escalated the issue to Nikon Japan. He then requested me not to share the videos on social media etc. 😂
Eventually my faulty sensor shield was replaced with a new one and the faulty one was sent to Nikon Japan for further investigation, at least that's what the service manager claimed. But then, my camera works fine since this incident.

Long story short - if you sense any trouble with the gear, just grab that phone and capture a video/photo. Ultimately, all that matters is evidence.
Great advice here so wish I thought of that at the time. I am ready if it happens again.

Hi,
Anyone know why this may have happened.
Lance,

If anyone knows it would be Nikon and Nikon isn't saying much. The one thing they've said is that a firmware update "Fixed an issue that in very rare circumstances would cause the camera to stop responding." (Firmware 2.11 & 3.10.)

I've had it happen, as have others. However, it seems to happen on only a small percentage of Z9 users. You will get a lot of different opinions online. Just keep in mind that at this point they are all speculative, none of them can answer your question.

To solve the problem and indirectly help others who may experience the same issue, you'll need to send the body to Nikon Service. When I did so I made clear that I didn't want the camera back unless they were confident it was fixed; don't return it with "could not replicate problem."

When the camera was sent back to me I was told that Nikon Japan was involved and some error codes were read from the body that helped identify an issue that was supposed to be fixed with FW 3.10. They returned the body the same day 3.10 was released. Since then I've barely used my Z9, but no lockups (yet). Hopefully mine is fixed. However, others such as you might have other causes for the lockups.

Again, I encourage you to send your Z9 in for repair. It won't fix itself. Nobody here knows what caused the issue in your case, in my case, or anyone's.

One last thought: I know it's common to "fix" the issue by pulling the battery. However, the first eight or nine times my Z9 locked up (out of over 500,000 on the shutter count) I simply turned the camera off and waited... After about 30 seconds I heard a click, presumably the dust shield closing, and the top LCD returned to the off display. Turning the camera on returned it to normal function.

I have to believe that letting the camera do whatever it does while waiting is probably better than pulling the battery. Maybe it's writing error codes for Nikon to read?

There was one time that 30 or so seconds did nothing so I kept waiting. After about 2-3 minutes, I reluctantly pulled the battery, reinserted, and all was good for the day. I then had some firm discussions with the manager of Nikon Service Canada and sent the body to them.

I wish you much success with a resolution from Nikon!

Daniel

Last edited:
Are you using a wraparound molding cover on your Z9, if so that can cause heat to not dissipate, expanding or effecting seal integrity especially in marginal areas.

Heat is generated more from longer video use or from constant hand holding the grip more so if you hot blooded that is LOL.

IF Water enters directly on pretty much any brand or model camera its mostly via
The screen seal itself
Diopta adjuster
Rear Front scroll wheel adjuster
Flash hot shoe mount, i use the below boot from B and H, i bought 6 of them they fit all my cameras from the D7100 D3X D4S D850 DF Z9, it also stops corrosion from salt spray.
Seals under buttons ie: ISO, EV , Video even shutter button, what weakens these seals is excessive heat or cold, a bit like a tap washer in winter LOL.

1452016368_1214155.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

As to the cause it would be hard to tell without pulling the screen off and checking the seal integrity more than likely the cause, after all so much now is not made in Japan.

I use attachable screen protectors on all cameras, i also use some silicone furniture polish on a rag and buff the screens so that any water beads of instantly rather than has time to seep in. (do this at your own risk)

I also buy rubber boots for the flash mount, see above, the plastic one that comes with cameras traps water - moisture in my experience.

I avoid the tight rubber skin covers, great for protection and cold conditions in my experience but can increase condensation or heat issues depending on you gear and location conditions.

Also i use a tip of a match stick and dab a bit of clear silicone adhesive on all screw heads on lenses and cameras that are used for ocean beach shoots or surfing carnivals etc.

Your specific issue I feel once you replace the screen with new contact adhesive, you may see the end of the issue.

Expansion and contraction caused by heat or cold variation usually can effect adhesive like seals.

Only an opinion

Mine locked up today for the first time since owning it (purchased in Nov 2022) and I use it several times a week. Have probably photographed 75K photos at this point. It didn't happen mid-shoot but rather when I went to go turn the camera off it wouldn't turn off. I flicked the on/off switch a few times and then it started working again. I hope this isn't the start of an ongoing issue. Currently running the latest FW.

I would be a little concerned that the silicon cover might prevent the camera from breathing and dissipating heat properly. Could this have caused the condensation?

Covers can in cases cause condensation to escalate depending on the humidity and temperature differences between the air and camera add to this rain and it may compound.

Coming out side of humidity free air con room in my Singapore hotel within moments the front of the lens and camera display fogged up with condensation as the camera and lens was cool outside was hot and so humid. I should have allowed the gear to adjust to the temperature.

As you water from rain, in cases covers tend to direct water to the lowest point or well it like a pool. I avoid using covers period.

The way to test a specific point is allowing water to enter is to remove the cover from the camera and gently mist water over the area of concern let the water pool around the seam and see if it enters, hence it’s important to have the camera breath.

I do a lot of surfing competitions and I now avoid skin covers for that reason, I use a Aquatec full lens and camera cover that breaths but mostly keeps the salt vapor and rain away.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
A one-off lock-up is difficult to diagnose, though on this occasion the common method of removing and re-inserting the battery seems to have solved the problem.

Not mentioned is static build up - which used to be a frequent issue for me up to about 15 years ago in very damp conditions shooting coastal birds from the sea shore rocks.

Static from some types of clothing, camera bags or the atmospheric conditions can be a problem.

About 18 years ago in a small boat on Lake Kariba in very humid conditions observing elephants come down to water, one by one the groups cameras stopped working. My F100 was last - thought it still locked up.

Static potential may be worth investigating.

Regular lock-up needs an investigation by Nikon.

Was the card light on? If so, you probably have a bad card, and switching could fix it.

I've never had mine lock up yet.

I've not sure what light you're referring to? I dont recall seeing a card light on with any card inserted.

The card is reading/writing just fine. Would it still work if it was faulty?

When this happens, the camera is in sleep mode (I'm walking around waiting for a photo opportunity) and once I go take a photo, the camera doesn't wake up/respond to hitting the shutter or turning the switch to the on position. Even turning the switch to the off position, the camera stays on.

I'm willing to try a different card.

I've not sure what light you're referring to? I dont recall seeing a card light on with any card inserted.

The card is reading/writing just fine. Would it still work if it was faulty?

When this happens, the camera is in sleep mode (I'm walking around waiting for a photo opportunity) and once I go take a photo, the camera doesn't wake up/respond to hitting the shutter or turning the switch to the on position. Even turning the switch to the off position, the camera stays on.

I'm willing to try a different card.
It's the green light that shows up when things are being written to the card (or reading from it). I'm not sure of what the exact name of the part is.

Yes, it's possible for a card to mostly work, and then stop working randomly, but it'll happen more and more as the card fails more completely.

Worst case, you try a different card, you don't lose anything (presuming you have a second card already, at least). Also worth wondering if it happens with the same lens specifically, or different ones.

I'm kinda curious how you know the camera is still on though, if nothing wakes up. Is the IBIS unlocking? Knowing what the camera is doing exactly will help nikon isolate the problem if you do have to send it back.

I'm kinda curious how you know the camera is still on though, if nothing wakes up. Is the IBIS unlocking? Knowing what the camera is doing exactly will help nikon isolate the problem if you do have to send it back.

The settings on the top display LCD are still showing, but the camera doesn't respond to anything. I guess since I could see this, I just assumed the camera is on.

This YT video I found is exactly what mine is doing:

Can't say I've seen that before, it looks like the camera locks due to a card issue to me, and once it finishes doing whatever the card it finally shuts off and restarts.

I've seen this sort of issue before with computers (where it'll freeze due to HDD writing, and then finally shut down/restart).

It could be a hardware fault somewhere, but if a different card doesn't solve it then I'd say send it to nikon with video you took of your own camera doing it, with the card(s) it happens with, and see what they say.

Actually, rewatching that video, mine only partially mimicks what his is doing- the not responding to the switch portion and the LCD remaining on with the power set to off. Once the camera powers back on, it takes photos fine.

Back