Nikon z9 just froze, what is with that?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In my cases, yes. All functions stop and the only way to turn the camera off/reset function is to pull and re-insert the battery. My last episode was about a month ago while doing an air to air photo shoot of antique airplanes. Happened repeatedly, maybe 5 times. It would work fine for several bursts and then lock up. I'd clear the lock up and it would be good for a few more bursts then rinse and repeat. More than a few missed shots.......that was the most repeatable the issue has been, it was previously very hit or miss.
I've never had a lock up prior to FW 5.0. Just sayin'..........
Summed up experience perfectly, i was told it doesn't happen in the Z9 or Z8, sorry it even happens in the other brands.
Its software related, language to the card, ram, or processing issues is my guess.
It seems to be an industry thing worse for some than others.

Don't know what else to think, manufactures are not coming out with the cause or solution.

Only an opinion

In my cases, yes. All functions stop and the only way to turn the camera off/reset function is to pull and re-insert the battery. My last episode was about a month ago while doing an air to air photo shoot of antique airplanes. Happened repeatedly, maybe 5 times. It would work fine for several bursts and then lock up. I'd clear the lock up and it would be good for a few more bursts then rinse and repeat. More than a few missed shots.......that was the most repeatable the issue has been, it was previously very hit or miss.
I've never had a lock up prior to FW 5.0. Just sayin'..........
Have you considered sending your Z9 to Nikon so a service technician can have look at it?

After 4 weeks of no Z9 lock up, today July 6, 2024, the Z9 locked up on me around 2pm during an eventing show (started at 8a). Had to pull the battery. Settings were intact... thank goodness!

Z9, firm 5.00, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S updated firm 1.22, Nikon battery ~40 remaining charge, SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO CFexpress Card Type B (in the past also locked up with Delkin Black).

Any recent other Z9 users with the Z9 lock up issue? (Yes, I know, as per PVA, it's the user's fault!... but what is the user doing wrong?)

Never had a lock up with other Nikon DSLR or mirrorless M1X or OM-1 mark II which track better, just low megapixels.....
It's not user error.

The Z9 is not meant for eventing, where every shot counts to compete with other photographers. May be sold as such... which is why I got one... but upon use IN THE FIELD, you soon realize that the implementation of banks, poor ergonomics of the release button, recessed critical buttons like EV comp, poorly designed card door, dynamic settings - only saved to card 1! which may be sent by courier/runner to the photo booth, too long to post more. Just check the user groups and excuses to blame the user. A kludge.

Inevitably you have to fight the camera, or dedicate the whole shoot to only 1 or 2 settings (recall function), else you waste time fiddling and missing the shot. However, great birding camera after the OM-1. Just enough fiddling to make you feel good about your capture.
Is there a reason you haven't switched to another camera brand? Think your list of complaints would warrant dropping Nikon by this time. I know if my Z9 was freezing up in the middle of my photographic shoots, I would have gotten rid of my camera by now.

The Z9 is not meant for eventing, where every shot counts to compete with other photographers.
Well, this is true, because the z9 is a generic high end camera made for all sorts of events, including at the Olympics where it's been used to great success. So it's not 'meant for eventing'. But it does everything extremely well.
May be sold as such... which is why I got one... but upon use IN THE FIELD, you soon realize that the implementation of banks, poor ergonomics of the release button, recessed critical buttons like EV comp, poorly designed card door, dynamic settings - only saved to card 1! which may be sent by courier/runner to the photo booth, too long to post more. Just check the user groups and excuses to blame the user. A kludge.
In your opinion. This isn't factual. It's been used at many types of events with great success.

The card door is great imo, I don't need to ever save/reload settings ever (as they're also just left on the internal memory), the release button is...fine? Recessed buttons are also great so they don't accidentally get caught on things when moving around, etc.
Inevitably you have to fight the camera, or dedicate the whole shoot to only 1 or 2 settings (recall function), else you waste time fiddling and missing the shot. However, great birding camera after the OM-1. Just enough fiddling to make you feel good about your capture.
Again, that's your opinion. Plenty of us have great success and no issues.

I really dislike this "all or nothing" mindset from one persons experiences, and turning their opinion into fact.

> I really dislike this "all or nothing" mindset ..

Okay, point well taken. Sorry, I need to tone down after these frustrating events.

As a positive side the new Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S firmware corrected all the issues, after 4 years of others blaming me, hence blaming myself. Great release of firmware v 1.22.

The NEF file is fabulous, and love the raw high megapixels. Can be sloppy in the framing and recover all the detail w/o heavy post work. 30 years a Nikon user, and heavy Z lens gear. Switch? Thinking..., big investment in new gear and learning curve.

Maybe specialize in eukaryotic organism. No rush there.... but they do not pay well.

The Z9 is not meant for eventing, where every shot counts to compete with other photographers. May be sold as such... which is why I got one... but upon use IN THE FIELD, you soon realize that the implementation of banks, poor ergonomics of the release button, recessed critical buttons like EV comp, poorly designed card door, dynamic settings - only saved to card 1! which may be sent by courier/runner to the photo booth, too long to post more. Just check the user groups and excuses to blame the user. A kludge.

I’m not the owner or an administrator of this site, but owners of any camera brand are welcome to join and participate. Most members of this community are focused on wildlife photography, although quite a few are professionals and avid enthusiasts in various photography genres.

While we can find things to criticize for every camera manufacturer, we try to help each other through difficulties in using our cameras and to celebrate the creative imagery and video posted here by BCG members.

I don’t doubt that you have legitimate concerns with your Z9. In my opinion some of them should be investigated by Nikon service personnel to see if there is a specific problem with your camera. I have shot more than 250,000 images on my Z9 and I’ve not once experienced a failure as you describe. Regarding your other criticisms, it seems to me that the Z9 is not the camera for you.

I hope you can find a camera which meets your needs. I wish you much success with your photography.

Gee it makes the D4s D5 D6 D850 seem so relaxing and enjoyable to hold and use, you just always made great photos, and slept at night........

Only an opinion

:ROFLMAO:

Back