Nikon Zf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Definitely some interesting features! Interested to hear how well the buffer clears to the SD and micro-SD cards.
we can predict. v90 can sustain 90MB/s, a lossless compressed raw is on average 65MB, so it should write out at about 1.4 fps

EDIT: 65MB is for the 45MP sensors. this one is 24. looks like about 26MB files so should be 3-3.5 fps

Last edited:
I got the specs yesterday and was really impressed. In the past, I've not cared too much about retro cameras, but I have to admit, this one has me intrigued. One thing I saw on it and I wish they would add to their other bodies is that exposure comp dial at the top. I like the fully articulating screen as well, and it looks like it has a few other "exclusive for now" features - like pixel shift.

The thing that really has me curious is the AF point VR prioritization. I wonder if that will really help or if it's more of a gimmick. They claim 8 stops of VR, so we'll see I guess.
The AF point VR prioritization may be a suggestion I had made to them. I talked to a rep and suggested they slave the VR to the subject detection at slower shutter speeds to aid in panning shots. The rep said they would kick it up the chain to the nerds but I never heard anything back.

nps.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
nps2.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The AF point VR prioritization may be a suggestion I had made to them. I talked to a rep and suggested they slave the VR to the subject detection at slower shutter speeds to aid in panning shots. The rep said they would kick it up the chain to the nerds but I never heard anything back.

View attachment 70051View attachment 70052
Cool :) I can see where that might help with panning.

A thought that came to me regarding the decision to go with SD cards instead of CFx is that, in addition to less space required, even fast SD cards seem to require less power and generate far less heat than CFx cards and they're entirely adequate for the still and video frame rates that this camera supports.

Additionally, since Nikon didn't go with a newer sensor in the Zf, that says to me that the sensor(s) (likely stacked) they will use in a Z6III and possibly Z7III are not ready for full-on production yet and the Zf is a perfect interim niche to fill until such time as they can start producing the next gen Z6/Z7.

There is one other elephant in the room, as well...power consumption and heat. In addition to possibly waiting for new sensors to be ready, it wouldn't surprise me if a newer, more power efficient, Expeed 7 (8) might be near. Trying squeeze anything near Z8/Z9 performance, still or video, in a body the size of the current Z6/Z7 bodies may prove quite the challenge.

Cheers!

Less heat and power, I'm not sure. I don't know that that's actually true or not because if you do a burst of 20 shots the CFE card would be done, while the sd card chugs along for a little bit. Someone probably knows, but I'm not sure that person is us.

I also don't think we'll see expeed 8 until 2025 sometime.

we can predict. v90 can sustain 90MB/s, a lossless compressed raw is on average 65MB, so it should write out at about 1.4 fps

EDIT: 65MB is for the 45MP sensors. this one is 24. looks like about 26MB files so should be 3-3.5 fps
The ZF uses a UHS-II card in the primary SD slot, and the Micro SD card slot is UHS-I. UHS-II typically gets 145 MB/s in Nikon cameras. With a 24 megapixel sensor, the file size will be around 27 MB. So the camera will shoot at around 5 fps with a full buffer. Until the buffer fills, it's up to 14 fps for RAW and 30 fps with pre-release capture and JPEGs.

A thought that came to me regarding the decision to go with SD cards instead of CFx is that, in addition to less space required, even fast SD cards seem to require less power and generate far less heat than CFx cards and they're entirely adequate for the still and video frame rates that this camera supports.

Additionally, since Nikon didn't go with a newer sensor in the Zf, that says to me that the sensor(s) (likely stacked) they will use in a Z6III and possibly Z7III are not ready for full-on production yet and the Zf is a perfect interim niche to fill until such time as they can start producing the next gen Z6/Z7.

There is one other elephant in the room, as well...power consumption and heat. In addition to possibly waiting for new sensors to be ready, it wouldn't surprise me if a newer, more power efficient, Expeed 7 (8) might be near. Trying squeeze anything near Z8/Z9 performance, still or video, in a body the size of the current Z6/Z7 bodies may prove quite the challenge.

Cheers!
The sensor is the same as the Z6ii. It's not the stacked sensor being used on the Z9 and Z8. The processor is updated to match the Z9/Z8 - 10x faster than the Z6ii and better to support the AF modes of the Z8/Z9..

Of course, with the lack of the stacked sensor and dual readout, it's not going to have a real time EVF.

I think SD cards are a better fit for a casual photographer and a smaller image file. Even with a full buffer, it should shoot around 5 fps (UHS-II SD cards can write around 145 MB/s in Nikon cameras). But the buffer will fill pretty fast at 14 fps with an SD card.

The camera is not able to shoot fast enough and long enough for heat to be an issue. It is just 14 fps and a much smaller file than the Z8. That's a shooting rate less than 40% of the data being written by the same processor on the Z8. With the relatively slow write speed, the buffer will fill and it will slow the shooting rate. As a rule, SD cards tend to not overheat because of the write speed limitations.

Ricci's review is quite good as usual.

The sensor is the same as the Z6ii. It's not the stacked sensor being used on the Z9 and Z8. The processor is updated to match the Z9/Z8 - 10x faster than the Z6ii and better to support the AF modes of the Z8/Z9..

Of course, with the lack of the stacked sensor and dual readout, it's not going to have a real time EVF.

I think SD cards are a better fit for a casual photographer and a smaller image file. Even with a full buffer, it should shoot around 5 fps (UHS-II SD cards can write around 145 MB/s in Nikon cameras). But the buffer will fill pretty fast at 14 fps with an SD card.

The camera is not able to shoot fast enough and long enough for heat to be an issue. It is just 14 fps and a much smaller file than the Z8. That's a shooting rate less than 40% of the data being written by the same processor on the Z8. With the relatively slow write speed, the buffer will fill and it will slow the shooting rate. As a rule, SD cards tend to not overheat because of the write speed limitations.

Ricci's review is quite good as usual.

Overheating might still be an issue on video. Sony is running into that with similar specs, smaller sensors on some of their new small bodies. I think (hope) the material and size might alleviate that.

Several years in FujiLand inoculated me against retro camera controls.

The Z series completed my rehabilitation.

I hope the retro lovers enjoy the new camera, but I will not be joining them.

Digital controls for a digital world.

30fps pre-capture, 3D-tracking and something (hopefully) approaching the Z8/Z9’s face detection abilities, and wheels for shutter speed and EC. All in a body that won’t freak people out when you point it at them. This camera is going to be fantastic for candids.

I also very much like the combination of a side-flipping LCD and shutter/ISO/EC dials for macro. It’s very easy to get into odd positions and manage flash/ambient exposures with the camera at arm’s length. Combine that with the outstanding 105MC and this is probably also my new choice of macro camera.

For me the draw of the controls aren’t so much that they’re retro. It’s that they’re highly functional for some kinds of shooting.

I’ve got one on order. I just hope I get on well with the 40/2, and I’m a bit disappointed the fancy color versions are more pricey (especially if you want the 40/2).

The package of features Nikon's built into the Zf slashes the cost of entry into wildlife photography with a reliable AF system (Zf price is half that of the Z8). Here's a camera which ticks many boxes. As importantly, there's the 180-600 besides many leading choices in lenses across the Greater Nikon Ecosystem.... to get out and travel with a light but high performance FX system.

The EVF blackout / lower frame rate could be one negative however, but let's hear what reliable reviewers say about the Zf when stressed (watch the BIF space ;) :) although there's much more to wildlife photography).

The other question is if/when will Nikon fold these new software features into the Z8 and Z9....

Last edited:
I own a Z5 and mainly shoot macro and portraits I'm thrilled that this has a screen (flip out or 3 way tilt I am not bothered) that I can use for low level portrait orientation photography that I don't have to pay 4000 bucks for (Z8). I only shoot garden birds once a month or so which means I think this could be the camera for me. As a non hardcore bird photographer I think the Z8 would be too much camera for me. The question is would the Zf be a step up from the Z5 for the occasions I shoot small birds (not in flight). It am sure it will be a step up for everything else I use it for.

Of course I could wait for a Z6iii but who knows when that will come and what the price will be.

The freely movable screen was one of the reasons why I got the ZFC.
As a transition until the Z500 appears at some point.
With my D7500, I no longer wanted to constantly end up in the dirt when I had the camera set up on a floor tripod.
Now I can sit comfortably next to it.
It was also time to trade in the D90 as long as you still get a few bucks back for it.

I own a Z5 and mainly shoot macro and portraits I'm thrilled that this has a screen (flip out or 3 way tilt I am not bothered) that I can use for low level portrait orientation photography that I don't have to pay 4000 bucks for (Z8). I only shoot garden birds once a month or so which means I think this could be the camera for me. As a non hardcore bird photographer I think the Z8 would be too much camera for me. The question is would the Zf be a step up from the Z5 for the occasions I shoot small birds (not in flight). It am sure it will be a step up for everything else I use it for.

Of course I could wait for a Z6iii but who knows when that will come and what the price will be.
From the reviews I’ve seen on the Zf and my experience with the Z6, Z7, Z7ii, Z8, and Z9, I think the Zf would be a decent step up for you. There is a difference in the sensor over the Z5, though may be minimal in real world, the advantages of subject detection, even on relatively stationary subjects, make a big difference. You also get faster frame rates to capture decisive moments if/when needed. The only con I find with it at this price point is it has a different layout than other bodies which could make going between it and say Z5 a bit challenging.

Back