Now that we have the Z6iii released did we learn anything about where Nikon is headed from here with camera releases

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It would be helpful to understand Nikon’s plans for DX cameras & lenses. Currently their inattention is glaring. I think you’re right, a partially stacked sensor would seem obvious. Expeed 7 processor, AF & shutter speed options similar to the Z6iii would be attractive.

We’ll see.
The only DX Lenses Nikon might add to the Z System are a fisheye and one or two faster UWides. The pancakes are there already for a DX owner, including 28mm and 40mm primes.

I've been the first to argue for a Z90, but that was in Pre Z6 III era before the surprise of Nikon's new in house FX sensor! A fully stacked sensor is the prerequisite for an electronic only shutter but low DX sales volume will make it a struggle to be profitable.

If Nikon is to plug the gap in their Z camera lineup for a ~600g compact Pro DX MILC with Pro UX, 20 fps or higher RAW and Z9 AF, they can probably deliver this with a Partially Stacked DX Sensor, IF the mechanical shutter is not too restrictive.

Hypothetically if Nikon does go ahead with a high performance Enthusiast /Pro level DX MILC, it is unlikely to get a fully stacked sensor, considering their new FX Partially stacked sensor. This also raises the critical question of price, because a DX Z90 will probably be priced close to the Z6 III if it gets the full house of Z9 features?

Assuming Nikon continues its stated strategy to repackage Z9 Technology into more affordable aka 'Enthusiast' cameras, we will see a Z7 III packing in more surprises, built on a 60 mp or higher resolution sensor..... which Thom Hogan hints at as a possibility. Nikon R&D has been active in this arena.... Including High end Video particularly as they now own RED

The reality is that we are getting older and, as we have seen, the time comes when the camera/lens weight that we enjoy hand-holding shrinks.

I am 83. I could hand-hold my OM-1 with the 150-400 and I could hand-hold a Z-8 with a 600pf but, even though either rig would produce better images, I simply find hand-holding that weight unenjoyable.

The conclusion is that a lighter weight rig is something enthusiast photographers will invest is as they age.

I can tell you that for me every ounce counts. Originally, I carried my rig on a Black Rapids strap attached to the lens foot. Just lately, however, I removed the lens foot and attached the strap directly to the camera. The rig hangs straight down, and the lens weighs 2.4# so I don't believe that the moment is sufficient to damage the camera/lens connection. However, if it does I will simply have the rig repaired because the 7.1 ounce weight savings is important to me.

I understand that many of you, even most of you carry far more weight. Removing the foot dropped the OM-1/100-400 f/6.3 from 4#5oz. to 3#14oz (real numbers based on actually weighting the rig).

Ultimately, I would like Nikon to come out with two DX lenses, a 500pf and a 100-500 F/6.3 zoom. Each DX lens would be a few ounces lighter than their FX equivalent but as I said, "every ounce counts".

FWIW - The Nikon Z mount is rated at about 1400 gms - around 3lbs. Worth checking the capacity of the OM mount. Don't forget it is not just the mount that you might face repairing - the lens might suffer too.

The release of the Z6iii has happened and we now have indications of what new tech Nikon has developed.

Obviously that is not going to be Nikon’s last camera upgrade.

I am wondering if we have any better idea of where Nikon might choose to go from here.

Obviously the z9 has been out for a while and that alone predicts a possible Z9ii.

Also is Nikon likely to come out with a higher megapixel Z7iii?

To me the release of the Z6iii is only part of the puzzle of where we might go from here. I am trying to make wise choices. I know Nikon will get my money one way or the other, I just want to spend it wisely.

No doubt we will see some of the features from the ZF - Z6III transition into new models going forward, especially a fully articulated screen would be very welcome.

Going forward the need is for better VR sensor performance along with low light focusing increased capability which is critical more so for video but also helps hand holding at slow shutter speed for stills.

Yes i agree and also believe a camera model without any video capability I think would be lighter smaller more powerful camera as well as affordable.............above all sell like hot cakes........here is hoping

From memory as i recall Fuji has just shifted one camera from 24 mp to 45 mp introducing 8 stops of IBIS.

I feel these Nikon new and improved features will complement the lighter small Z lens range, it will maximize image quality especially for lenses like the 28-400.

The 28-400 even the 100-400 no doubt should have a high volume sales on the back of high margin being a consumer assumed top seller, not for the pro market.

It’s fair to assume some hardware improvements in the Z8 Z9 replacements will also be phased in hopefully with the fully articulated screen in the Z8 update.
Smaller lighter batteries and camera is needed to compliment the lighter lenses. Sony A1 is a good bench mark standard for size and weight.

The decision between resolution and speed growth or change will maybe define some new dedicated pro models i.e.: Sony A9 III.

The anticipated Z7 III will be a nice unit, i sense it will be heavier, sadly, but I really I hope they keep the size and weight down and I have for a long while been chanting for a 60 plus mp sensor, happy to even compromise for slower speed 10-12 fps is more than enough.

I would like to see a really innovative panoramic feature incorporated.

The largest needed feature is reliability (issue free), with definite improved QC assurance.

Had the Z9 now have the Z8.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
"FWIW - The Nikon Z mount is rated at about 1400 gms - around 3lbs. Worth checking the capacity of the OM mount. Don't forget it is not just the mount that you might face repairing - the lens might suffer too."

Admittedly I am taking a risk, but I have decided the weight savings is worth it. If fact it is not the weight, it's the moment (weight x distance). The camera rides hanging straight down and the moment is the lens weight (2.4#) times the average distance (about 5") times the angle which seems to not get beyond 15-20 degrees. I think the force is no more than picking the camera up from the camera which we all do but we will see.

TOm

A more interesting question is where is the market going and which companies are trying to chase it.

I have long held the view that the market is saturated and the Z-8/9 and A1 are good enough for all but the most picky professionals.

For casual vacation photographers the new cell phones are also good enough and I see them basically ending the P&S market.

So, who is the target for a low-cost MILC, interchangeable camera like the Z6iii and its competitors? I think the target is Birders and the R6iii and competitors are ill suited and possess a photographer's view rather than a birder's view of what is attractive to a Birder.

After signing on to a birders expedition one time I have some thoughts on what would be attractive to birders.

1-Lots of reach. A birder sees a bird flying in the distance and the leader rules out certain birds and announces it as a such and such. Some birders check their sheets and are satisfied but most birders require that THEY, not the leader identifies the bird.
2-Interface with bird identification software. The birders need a picture for iBird Photo Sluth to identify a bird and binoculars don't take them, so some use their iPhones and hope for enough photo to get an ID.
3-Light weight. Birders hang binoculars around their neck and MAT tolerate a camera/lens on a Black Rapids strap but I am thinking that over 4# would discourage most birders. (I draw this conclusion because I don't see many spotting scopes out there.)
4-Low cost. Birders are not big spenders. Mostly they are cheap geriatrics.
5-Not complicated. Subect ID makes everything easier but otherwise a good AUTO mode.

In my view the Canon R-7/100-400 come closest to meeting birders needs. I feel that my OM-1/100-400 is too expensive for most birders.

So where is Nikon going? No place that makes any sense in my view.

Tom
That makes sense to you. For those of us who shoot Nikon the company is doing an excellent job in producing high quality cameras and great lenses. I don’t actually think it matters whether this appeal or even makes sense who don’t understand the Nikon system. The Z series lenses have impressive optical qualities. The telephoto lenses with built in TCs are very expensive but ultimately excellent value if you need that. The short lenses are significantly better than the previous generation. The Z9 has numerous innovations. The Z8 is apparently pretty good too. The Z6iii is aimed at filling an obvious gap in the line up. It is the technical capabilities of the entry level cameras that the Nikon line up needs to look at next.
It won’t appeal to people who identify more closely with Canon or Sony. That’s OK with me. Choice is a very good thing.

Yes i agree and also believe a camera model without any video capability I think would be lighter smaller more powerful camera as well as affordable.............above all sell like hot cakes........here is hoping

I don't think that any of this is right. the only difference that no video would make is different firmware and that is neither heavy/bulky or cheaper.

I don't think that any of this is right. the only difference that no video would make is different firmware and that is neither heavy/bulky or cheaper.
I hear you, i am no engineer, but an assumption is, you wouldn't need as much processing power, memory, storage, buffer, battery capacity and physical size of batteries and camera reducing weight, you could have smaller capacity less expensive cards, far less menu needs.

There would be so many other things, like you wouldn't need powerful video level IBIS, etc etc.

The list goes on i suspect but needs to have input from people more qualified.

I even think it would be a real seller.

Maybe we will get to a point where in 10 years’ time we will see dedicated video camera, and dedicated stills camera.

Only thinking outside the square LOL.

Only an opinion

That makes sense to you. For those of us who shoot Nikon the company is doing an excellent job in producing high quality cameras and great lenses. I don’t actually think it matters whether this appeal or even makes sense who don’t understand the Nikon system. The Z series lenses have impressive optical qualities. The telephoto lenses with built in TCs are very expensive but ultimately excellent value if you need that. The short lenses are significantly better than the previous generation. The Z9 has numerous innovations. The Z8 is apparently pretty good too. The Z6iii is aimed at filling an obvious gap in the line up. It is the technical capabilities of the entry level cameras that the Nikon line up needs to look at next.
It won’t appeal to people who identify more closely with Canon or Sony. That’s OK with me. Choice is a very good thing.
I think you answered Tom's https://bcgforums.com/goto/post?id=409351 expressed opinion very well.

While Tom offers his opinion on the subject candidly, he also does make some points but not all if you look at the larger picture.

Again i agree with both reply's in ways.

To me the picture is larger.

The global market has shrunk over 50% in the past decade, many players have had to reinvent them selves and or adapt in order to grow revenue or even survive.

Sony has been the innovation driver securing a lot of market share, Canon made some good moves, Nikon let mostly everyone do the hard work then copied or followed and caught up very slowly at great personal tolerance of its loyal followers.

Today as far as cameras go Sony and Canons focus tracking is exceptional and Nikon has caught up very closely but still I feel holds position 3 on the podium.

Nikon has done a great job rolling out some great glass given the performance versus size and weight, remember margin is king as volume is down to the previous generation of products. Margin is derived at cutting costs, increasing prices, innovation of unique or niche products that stand out and perform.

The under estimated brand is Fuji who is innovative different above all interestingly engaging, something the big three are watching or following carefully.
Consumers want small affordable intuitive quality and performance.

I hear from members in the club Fuji and even OM 1 brands have been doing some things for a long time that some of the big three are only recently starting to fold out slowly.

Yes Nikon has an impressive range of glass and finally some very acceptable cameras with more needed.

Nikon's new View finder in the Z6 III is mind blowing based on reports making future model roll outs exciting, that said I personally still prefer the quality and accuracy of the optical viewfinder. Hey that's me.

I also prefer to use hands down the Z9 every time even over the Z8, yet i respect the difference between want and need and now only use the Z8 that is more fit for the purpose of what i do.

There are many different users and budget needs out there. If you have used a Z9 you won’t want use any other Z camera, well for some until the Z8 came along.

The ZF and now Z6III is a step in the right direction, the Z7 III is highly anticipated, hopefully it will be a 61 mp Sony A7RV sensor, this will work well with the Z8 Z9II speed demons.

I do feel there is a little bit of a gap or lag for mid-range priced products, but you say that Nikon is working on catching up on that.

I think the Z6III Z7III at 61mp will be a great combo.

The end users are a little different today I feel.

Lots of the traditional or experienced wild life birding shooters are interested in taking photos partly but equally enjoy immensely the physical journey of getting out an about in nature, and having the social experience, a hobby an interaction, i guess it therefore doesn’t matter so much about the gear.

In our club 80% still use very happily a D500 D850 and 150-600 Sigma, or 200-500 Nikon with a mono pod, others have the 100-400 and Canon 5D.......some use happily Fuji, there just out to enjoy them sleeves.

If it’s not fun then it’s not good.

The pros are into their higher end gear they trust to deliver a living and that’s getting to be a tough gig now.

I rent my exotic gear as needed as i don't have the frequency of demand use to warrant purchase.

I do feel we are entering an era of significant change as to how things used to be, there is also a definite generational gap in users, I think that’s the market needing targeting and serious fast engagement.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I think you answered Tom's https://bcgforums.com/goto/post?id=409351 expressed opinion very well.

While Tom offers his opinion on the subject candidly, he also does make some points but not all if you look at the larger picture.

Again i agree with both reply's in ways.

To me the picture is larger.

The global market has shrunk over 50% in the past decade, many players have had to reinvent them selves and or adapt in order to grow revenue or even survive.

Sony has been the innovation driver securing new a lot of market share, Canon made some good moves, Nikon let mostly everyone do the hard work then copied and caught up very slowly at great personal tolerance of its loyal followers.

Today as far as cameras go Sony and Canons focus tracking is exceptional and Nikon has caught up very closely but still I feel holds position 3 on the podium.

Nikon has done a great job rolling out some great glass given the performance versus size and weight, remember margin is king as volume is down to the previous generation of products.

The under estimated brand is Fuji who is innovative different.

I hear form members in the club Fuji and even OM 1 brands have been doing things for a long time that some of the big three are only starting to fold out slowly.

Yes Nikon has an impressive range of glass and finally some very acceptable cameras with more needed, Nikon's new View finder in the Z6 III is mind blowing based on reports making future model roll outs exciting, that said I personally still prefer the quality of the optical viewfinder.

There are many different users and budget needs out there. If you have used a Z9 you won’t want use any other Z camera, well until the Z8 came along.

The ZF and now Z6III is a step in the right direction, the Z7 III is highly anticipated, hopefully it will be a 61 mp Sony A7RV sensor, this will work well with the Z8 Z9II speed demons.

I do feel there is a little bit of a gap or lag for mid-range priced products, but you say that Nikon is working on catching up on that.

I think the Z6III Z7III at 61mp will be a great combo.

The end users are a little different today I feel.

Lots of the traditional or experienced wild life birding shooters are interested in taking photos partly but equally enjoy immensely the physical journey of getting out an about in nature, and having the social experience, a hobby an interaction, it therefore doesn’t matter so much about the gear.

In our club 80% still use very happily a D500 D850 and 150-600 Sigma, or 200-500 Nikon with a mono pod, others have the 100-400 and Canon 5D.......there just out to enjoy them sleeves.

If it’s not fun then it’s not good.

The pros are into their higher end gear they trust to deliver a living and that’s getting to be a tough gig now.

I do feel we are entering an era of significant change as how things used to be, there is also a definite generational gap, I think that’s the market needing targeting and serious fast engagement.

Only an opinion
I enjoyed your thoughts and think you described where Nikon sits today very well. But I think you may have put too much emphasis on a Z7ii, very much a niche camera for a few enthusiasts and missed another direction for Nikon that you clearly identify right in your post. That direction is the “Z500” a blazing fast, innovative APS-C “wolf in sheep’s clothing camera” with comparable computational, AF and operating features to my OM1, together with a stacked (maybe partially, but no) sensor comparable to Fuji cameras - 26-40MP. That and maybe a fixed lens, simple to operate 60MP “Q2 killer.” The latter instead of the Z7ii.

The “Z500”, together with filling out the pathetic range of F and Z mount DX glass with COMPACT fast walking around, travel and landscape options. Again, see Fuji and OM for reference.

I love my Z8 but for travels, my OM1, 12-100 f4 pro lens (24-200 ffe), 25 1.2 pro (50 ffe) and TINY 45mm 1.8 (90 ffe) goes in a day back pack or shoulder satchel and the Z8 sulks at home in my office.

If Nikon truly wants to bridge the “generation gap” and appeal to the younger crowd like my 30 something daughter - Fuji XS20 - it should expand compact, lightning fast easy to use, easy to share and upload and, most importantly, COMPACT cameras and lenses.

We Nikon “full frame or die” dinosaurs tend to ignore or pass over the very reason ILCs are less popular than camera phones. The fact the X100VI is - suddenly and not at all surprisingly - the runaway hit of 2024 tells us Fuji has a better handle on it than Nikon.

Last edited:
Agreed. And more importantly, the difference between a Z6iii and a 24 MP APS-C with similar speed and performance is very small. You need a new sensor, and need to dial back some video specs, but the speed, cards, battery, body size, and other aspects can be the same. A partially stacked sensor - with the related EVF performance and minimal rolling shutter - puts the price point in the $2200-2500 range. This is a camera that can be released later this year and would produce a very high volume of sales if it has similar AF performance to the Z6iii. If you want something different, it's a lot harder to deliver this year.
That sounds very logical and may well be what is planned. But it does need a new high grade sensor, albeit a small one. It may be wishful thinking but an equally low additional cost alternative could be a Z7iii which was a small, light, somewhat cut down Z8. With a high pixel count it would appeal to landscapers and cash-poor wildlifers who would still have the cropping ability of the Z8 (instead of buying a longer lens when needed). Yes, it might take some sales away from the more profitable Z8 but Nikon have already done that with the Z9-Z8 strategy so perhaps they would do it again with the aim of getting the most sales possible from their work on the Z9/Z8 sensor.

I enjoyed your thoughts and think you described where Nikon sits today very well. But I think you may have put too much emphasis on a Z7ii, very much a niche camera for a few enthusiasts and missed another direction for Nikon that you clearly identify right in your post. That direction is the “Z500” a blazing fast, innovative APS-C “wolf in sheep’s clothing camera” with comparable computational, AF and operating features to my OM1, together with a stacked (maybe partially, but no) sensor comparable to Fuji cameras - 26-40MP. That and maybe a fixed lens, simple to operate 60MP “Q2 killer.” The latter instead of the Z7ii.

The “Z500”, together with filling out the pathetic range of F and Z mount DX glass with COMPACT fast walking around, travel and landscape options. Again, see Fuji and OM for reference.

I love my Z8 but for travels, my OM1, 12-100 f4 pro lens (24-200 ffe), 25 1.2 pro (50 ffe) and TINY 45mm 1.8 (90 ffe) goes in a day back pack or shoulder satchel and the Z8 sulks at home in my office.

If Nikon truly wants to bridge the “generation gap” and appeal to the younger crowd like my 30 something daughter - Fuji XS20 - it should expand compact, lightning fast easy to use, easy to share and upload and, most importantly, COMPACT cameras and lenses.

We Nikon “full frame or die” dinosaurs tend to ignore or pass over the very reason ILCs are less popular than camera phones. The fact the X100VI is - suddenly and not at all surprisingly - the runaway hit of 2024 tells us Fuji has a better handle on it than Nikon.

You summed it up very well,

My feeling about Fuji is its been for me one to watch as smaller companies can adapt quicker, and the generational gap being the area that needs to be targeted, is basically a suggestion for Nikon to get into the game faster or miss out again. Converting serious phone users or bloggers is a growth market.

I think Nikon tried it with the ZF, while its a nice camera it is still heavy and just a up scaled FF version of a ZFC, a 24 mp sensor is perfectly fine but not for me personally.

Maybe Nikon is reserved or concerned that any real powerhouse DX units may currently impact the Zf Z6 Z7 Z8 range, plus they would need to now roll out a DX range for lenses that it seems they may not want to do just yet, or if at all.

I agree with you that a DX turbo charged D500 mirror less version would be great.

Sony led the charge for the big three into Mirror less, Fuji is leading the charge in their range that is i feel a closer spring board to have more phone users graduate into cameras and detachable lenses.

Again interesting times and dynamics at play, i think Nikon may simply follow rather than lead as they seem more balance sheet orientated rather than risk taking.

I prefer using the Z9 clearly over the Z8, however the Z8 is what i need not what i want, i hope the Z7 III at 61 mp eventuates.

Only an opinion

Across their systems, Olympus and Fuji have many excellent features

Yes i have noticed when club members show me their Fuji or OM 1 kit, the features in cases don't exist on the larger flag ships we know from the big three.
or they have existed for ages on Fuji Om 1 and only now showing up in the big 3.
There is a very much elevated level of interest into film again..............

Only an opinion

I hear you, i am no engineer, but an assumption is, you wouldn't need as much processing power, memory, storage, buffer, battery capacity and physical size of batteries and camera reducing weight, you could have smaller capacity less expensive cards, far less menu needs.

There would be so many other things, like you wouldn't need powerful video level IBIS, etc etc.

The list goes on i suspect but needs to have input from people more qualified.

I even think it would be a real seller.

Maybe we will get to a point where in 10 years’ time we will see dedicated video camera, and dedicated stills camera.

Only thinking outside the square LOL.

Only an opinion
Thom Hogan had a post on his website recently where he noted that some of the features we use in still photography depend in part on technology from the video side. For Nikon, I believe he mentioned precapture and HE*/HE compression. Maybe more.

There is also the question of whether camera companies can afford extra models in this market, where many buyers want a hybrid stills/video camera. The do-it-all camera may be the more economic choice for the camera companies.

I do mostly stills with my Z9 & Z8, but do enjoy shooting a video now and then.

My walkin' around camera is still the Z7ii...The Z8 and Z9 are just a touch too heavy and bulky to fit in a small sling bag.

If a Z7iii comes along, I may well pick one up.

I agree with many that a Z7iii will be squeezed in price and specs by the Z8. But I also agree with others that, as we age out, smaller and lighter starts looking better and better.

My walkin' around camera is still the Z7ii...The Z8 and Z9 are just a touch too heavy and bulky to fit in a small sling bag.

If a Z7iii comes along, I may well pick one up.

I agree with many that a Z7iii will be squeezed in price and specs by the Z8. But I also agree with others that, as we age out, smaller and lighter starts looking better and better.
Mine was too…but I've not used it once since I got the Z8 to go with my now departed and replaced by another Z8 Z9…and when I did take with the Z9 I don't think I took any shots with it since I'm mostly a wildlife shooter. I'm noodling on whether to replace it with a Z6III or wait and see if a Z7III or the mythical Z90 appears…I have my doubts that either of those will ever exist for several reasons. Without having seen one I have no experience…but if Steve says it makes a good wildlife body albeit maybe not quite as good as his Z9…that would make it for me an excellent walking around body or for "light wildlife but mostly travel" sort of trips where the weight of the Z8 isn't needed for it's advantages like RSF Hold and such…and for when I'm just going to take 1 body and 1 lens. Don't know if I'll actually get one het…noodling on that for the next few months until we see some more hands on viewpoints.

Mine was too…but I've not used it once since I got the Z8 to go with my now departed and replaced by another Z8 Z9…and when I did take with the Z9 I don't think I took any shots with it since I'm mostly a wildlife shooter. I'm noodling on whether to replace it with a Z6III or wait and see if a Z7III or the mythical Z90 appears…I have my doubts that either of those will ever exist for several reasons. Without having seen one I have no experience…but if Steve says it makes a good wildlife body albeit maybe not quite as good as his Z9…that would make it for me an excellent walking around body or for "light wildlife but mostly travel" sort of trips where the weight of the Z8 isn't needed for it's advantages like RSF Hold and such…and for when I'm just going to take 1 body and 1 lens. Don't know if I'll actually get one het…noodling on that for the next few months until we see some more hands on viewpoints.
Agree. I am not much of a wildlife photographer, but would take the Z8 or Z9, instead of the Z7ii, if I were shooting my friend's dogs, for example.

With focus specs similar to the Zf and Z6ii, and a 15 to 20 Hz frame rate, a Z7ii would be a great street/event camera and I would willingly pay for the upgrade.

I'm waiting for some full reviews on the low-light performance of the Z6iii but am likely to replace my Z6ii.

Agree. I am not much of a wildlife photographer, but would take the Z8 or Z9, instead of the Z7ii, if I were shooting my friend's dogs, for example.

With focus specs similar to the Zf and Z6ii, and a 15 to 20 Hz frame rate, a Z7ii would be a great street/event camera and I would willingly pay for the upgrade.

I'm waiting for some full reviews on the low-light performance of the Z6iii but am likely to replace my Z6ii.
I might get one too…because for me more MP is more important than a slight bit of low light improvement since noise is pretty easy to solve these days. I don't think we'll see a wildlife oriented Z7III though…not much room in the price structure to put it without impacting Z8 sales and it would be more expensive than the Z6III is. If it comes…I would expect a really high res sensor and for it to be aimed more at landscape and portrait shooters than wildlife with appropriately lower FPS numbers. if it comes we'll all have to figure out if we want one or need one or screw it just buy one:)

Nikon registered a 2nd camera besides the Z6 III. A Z70 is somewhat more likely than a Z7 III, and possibly September

As I mentioned l earlier in this thread, last week during a webinar Thom Hogan made brief remarks on his view of what Nikon may do next with the Z camera line. I have a brief video clip (~2.5 mins) I can make available if anyone wants to see it.

https://bcgforums.com/threads/now-t...m-here-with-camera-releases.36497/post-409109

Back