Official Nikon Z8 Launch And Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not in the position to buy any camera gear, but this is the first mirrorless Nikon I've actually been excited about. I can't get enough of my D850. The D500 feels more like home and I like the quieter shutter, but the D850 image quality is just superb. The Z8 is the logical successor.

I've simply stayed in the SLR camp because I can't afford new shiny glass. Maybe in 5 years.

Grabbed this from Ricci's video showing the grip size
View attachment 60873
They design a brand new grip for Z8 and can’t even get the sides to line up. Face palm fail. That shape looks terrible with grip. I’ve always gripped my cameras but I wouldn’t do so for the Z8. Z8 should be large enough to be comfortable without grip and I only buy grips for comfort, not portrait shooting. (Except with D850 for 9FPS)

Question now becomes: do I keep the Z9? I'm a hobbyist, only really need 1 body. Will wait to see how the battery life compares in practice before making any rash decisions.

Another thing I'm absolutely thrilled about: no more vertical grip on-off switch of the Z9; that flaccid design flaw has taken me hundreds of extra photos. No, I won't gaffer's tape it, now that there's a camera without it :ROFLMAO:

Question now becomes: do I keep the Z9? I'm a hobbyist, only really need 1 body. Will wait to see how the battery life compares in practice before making any rash decisions.

Another thing I'm absolutely thrilled about: no more vertical grip on-off switch of the Z9; that flaccid design flaw has taken me hundreds of extra photos. No, I won't gaffer's tape it, now that there's a camera without it :ROFLMAO:
I have a few thousand photos of my feet as well :ROFLMAO:

too much camera for me I'm sad to say. My Z6 needs replacing, but with all those features, like the Z9, it'd be just a waste. Sadly no lenses announced, that's what I was really hoping for,
Me…I think I’m probably gonna get one to backup the Z9 because of the better AF allowing dual bodies in the field that operate almost exactly the same…might keep the Z7II for a light travel camera depending on what it goes for on trade in…don’t need to trade to afford an 8 but do I really need 3 bodies? Probably not. For wildlife action…the AF in the Z7II doesn’t keep up despite the dual processors…and TBH although I would prefer the Z7 size and weight body if this had been an option I would not have a Z9 because I almost never shoot portrait over landscape and don’t care about and wouldn’t have a grip except the only to get the better AF and FPS at the time was the Z9. And I can afford one easily, I ain’t getting my younger, and going to the afterlife with a full bank account isn’t worth it as opposed to going with a slightly less full bank account.

So, does this mean there'll be loads of cheap D850s for sale soon? :unsure: :LOL:
You can count on it. And used prices just dropped 25 percent. And another 25 percent over the next couple of months as the Z8 start showing up.

Selling the Z9 will probably get you about enough for a Z8 and a couple of extra batteries. So a net trade for the smaller form factor. And no vertical shutter button that seems to be your nemesis :)

Only concern for me is battery life, but otherwise looks like the perfect camera!
Batteries are light…even if one Carrie’s three of them…and my guess is that the B version of the battery will work just fine albeit at a smaller capacity. I don’t think I have ever changed a battery on an outing…with either the D7500 or either the Z7II or Z9…so the lower life estimate is a non issue for me.

Just noticed for those who will use the Z8 as a second body: the Z9 batteries will not work with the Z8 grip.

This is different than the D850/D5 combo where the D5 batteries worked in the D850’s grip.

Begs the question what took Nikon so long to release the Z8? There's virtually nothing new here.
Only Nikon knows but maybe it had something to do with the Red patent lawsuit or maybe they've been just building inventory.

If Nikon released it 4 months ago and they couldn't fill orders people would complain, if they wait 4 months so that they could fill orders people wonder why they didn't launch it earlier.

Only Nikon knows but maybe it had something to do with the Red patent lawsuit or maybe they've been just building inventory.

If Nikon released it 4 months ago and they couldn't fill orders people would complain, if they wait 4 months so that they could fill orders people wonder why they didn't launch it earlier.
Yep…but as we used to say back in Uncle Sam,s Canoe Club…a sailor isn’t happy unless he/she is bitchin’ about something😀

Begs the question what took Nikon so long to release the Z8? There's virtually nothing new here.

Or they were just waiting for Z9 sales to slow down and to dump remaining D850 inventory :rolleyes:

Another thing to check: will the smaller battery in any way result in the lenses being driven slower (than the Z9)? I'm still watching/reading reviews, so it may have been discussed already.

Last edited:
They design a brand new grip for Z8 and can’t even get the sides to line up. Face palm fail. That shape looks terrible with grip. I’ve always gripped my cameras but I wouldn’t do so for the Z8. Z8 should be large enough to be comfortable without grip and I only buy grips for comfort, not portrait shooting. (Except with D850 for 9FPS)
quite frankly, i think the grip for the z8 is mostly a feature checkbox issue because it's what a1 advocates have been railing about. personally if you really are going to use a grip any substantial portion of the time, you'd probably just get a z9?

And Thom Hogan has published a string of new Z8 related articles....

useful for comparisons- https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/what-does-the-z9-have-the.html

View attachment 60865

View attachment 60866

Z9 does HLG video at ISO 400, recently kept shooting HLG video so aware.

Everybody should be happy : you can have a small and a giant camera for the same price !!!
Are you familiar with homo sapiens? We should start a list of complaints. So far:
- specs are too similar to Z9
- battery life is not enough
- two different cards
- form factor is still too big(i.e. bigger than Z6/7)
- grip is ugly
- grip won't take same battery as Z9
edits:
- no pixel shift
- no gps
- no dial on top for setting fps etc.
- costs too much compared to D850
- doesn't cost enough, Nikon will go broke
- going to take all the Z9 sales(Nikon will go broke)
- no lock on memory card door

Last edited:
I really would like this camera. However, as primarily a landscape shooter and at $4000, this just isn't going to quite be the D850 successor for me. Perhaps a Z7III will come out and that will be more geared towards that genre because having a cut-down Z9 is of no interest to me. Then I can well and truly move on from the D850 and keep my Z7II as a backup. Now if in a year from now, a refurbished Z8 shows up at NikonUSA, I'm going to be hard pressed to say no.

Ive never pre ordered anything from Nikon directly, do they charge you full price when a pre order is submitted? Or does it charge when it ships?

Back