Official Nikon Z8 Launch And Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have already pre-ordered...having two of these might work out great for me. If I like the camera I can sell my HUGE Z9 camera and then use the proceeds to buy the Z8 cameras. I already have a bunch of the batteries and I can work with only one card slot. I like the thought of having two mirrorless cameras, no having to remember what I'm shooting on, and something lighter on my shoulders...I'd also love to have the 200-600 to go with it. I'll keep the 500 PF for one of them.

I saw a Z8 today after the launch in Photo London at Somerset House today. I was placing and order for the camera while the actual launch was happening -- I ended up ordering 2 bodies in two different stores in Central London (yes GOW was my first choice and Fixation/WEX my 2nd). I have a long history with both and so am hopeful to receive mine soooon.

Basically it is a Z9 without a V-grip. SMaller lighter but not tiny.
Few obvious differences to the Z9 - no internal GPS (use Snapbridge); same overall touch/feel sans the v-grip. Feels like a D850. Two USB-C ports - one is for POWER DELIVERY only so you can plug this body into a shooting rig and tap into a V-battery or similar with no issues.

The CIPA battery life is not based on real world shooting - Chris O expects 4-5 times the life -- but it all depends on how the camera is used -- specifically how long the EVF and LCD are being used these drain the battery AND powering the AF-motors. The external battery/v-grip fits into the space for the internal battery (MB-N12 Power Battery Pack $349.95) - currently configured to accept 2 batteries - one hot swappable. It does not look like the grip can take an EN-EL18 -- we will see. Uses all the EN-EL15 batteries, but obviously the 7.0V / 2280mAh 18Wh EN-EL15C will last the longest (about 50% of the 10.8v 3300mAh 36Wh EN-EL18d). Obviously b and a versions have lower capacities.

Lots of details missing (not available) - can the Z8 utilize a time code source (like Ultra Sync Blue -- unclear, but time code is listed under other in video specs). Snapbridge delivers GPS data to the camera. The Nikon press release says you can use the same external TimeCode source/sync as the Z9 and there is Nikon media showing this in use.

UK price £3,999 (including VAT) -- Nikon USA pricing "the new Nikon Z 8 will be available on May 25, 2023 for a suggested retail price of $3,999.95.* The MB-N12 battery grip will be available in May for an SRP of $349.95. etc..

Last edited:
Are you familiar with homo sapiens? We should start a list of complaints. So far:
- specs are too similar to Z9
- battery life is not enough
- two different cards
- form factor is still too big(i.e. bigger than Z6/7)
- grip is ugly
- grip won't take same battery as Z9
Matt Granger says:
6750 shots
Some videos
27% left

3950 shots
No videos
70% left

I think is quite good

Ive never pre ordered anything from Nikon directly, do they charge you full price when a pre order is submitted? Or does it charge when it ships?
They charge you when things ship.

Edit: This is true for nikonusa.com - not sure about other countries.

Reactions: wes
Question for livestream: I understand all the EN-EL 15 batteries are cross-compatible, but the earlier ones have lower capacity. My question: will the camera focus more slowly using the earlier batteries?

Are you familiar with homo sapiens? We should start a list of complaints. So far:
- specs are too similar to Z9
- battery life is not enough
- two different cards
- form factor is still too big(i.e. bigger than Z6/7)
- grip is ugly
- grip won't take same battery as Z9
I thought my humorous tone was noticeable.
But that's okay.

They charge you when things ship.

Edit: This is true for nikonusa.com - not sure about other countries.
Same in the UK - but Grays of Westminster required a deposit of 10% when I placed my first order today (at 13:01 BST) -- which is a good idea. My other order (with another store at 13:30 did not require any deposit -- but I have been dealing with this store for about 4 decades) and they have sold me almost as much gear as Greys of Westminster.

Begs the question what took Nikon so long to release the Z8? There's virtually nothing new here.
Profit maximization. A lot of people splurged on the Z9 even though they would have bought the Z8 if they'd had the choice. Now those people will sell Z9 and buy Z8...more sales for Nikon. Only problem is new Z9 sales will tank now. Used Z9 will be the way to go if one prefers the grip, dual CFe-B, better weather sealing. So in the end I'm not sure if it will really get them a lot more sales/profits or not?? You have to consider that some people also ditched Nikon for Sony/Canon because of the large Z9 being the only way to a stacked sensor.

I really would like this camera. However, as primarily a landscape shooter and at $4000, this just isn't going to quite be the D850 successor for me. Perhaps a Z7III will come out and that will be more geared towards that genre because having a cut-down Z9 is of no interest to me. Then I can well and truly move on from the D850 and keep my Z7II as a backup. Now if in a year from now, a refurbished Z8 shows up at NikonUSA, I'm going to be hard pressed to say no.
D850 was ~$4000 in 2023 $....so no difference. Inflation sucks.

So in the end I'm not sure if it will really get them a lot more sales/profits or not??
sure it will. lower price point will always get you new customers. most folks who wanted/needed a z9 probably have them. this is now the price leader for the top end stacked sensors (maybe other than Fuji?) -- certainly among the big three. you can get a z8 cheaper than a a9ii but get the capabilities of an a1. or cheaper than an r3, but with more resolution. and in the form factor of the beloved d850. it's going to be a hit.

No doubt (ETA: In terms of seeing Z9s go up for sale, couldn't seem to quote the previous post). I'm seriously thinking about it. With super tiny hands, the Z9 has been a bit of a challenge for me. I'll miss the dual slots, but this is definitely a better option for how I shoot.

Last edited:
It's a shame the GPS didn't survive the miniaturization. I've really enjoyed having 100% reliable GPS tagging on the Z9. Bluetooth/phone tagging has never been a reliable method for me, for any camera system.

That said, if I had to pick a Z8 or Z9 today? I'd probably go with the Z8? I think? It's hard to say no to $1500USD versus a few nice-to-haves!

Profit maximization. A lot of people splurged on the Z9 even though they would have bought the Z8 if they'd had the choice. Now those people will sell Z9 and buy Z8...more sales for Nikon. Only problem is new Z9 sales will tank now. Used Z9 will be the way to go if one prefers the grip, dual CFe-B, better weather sealing. So in the end I'm not sure if it will really get them a lot more sales/profits or not?? You have to consider that some people also ditched Nikon for Sony/Canon because of the large Z9 being the only way to a stacked sensor.
I somewhat disagree. The Z9 is aimed at professional photographers and was released for the last Olympics. The pros mostly won't sell their Z9's in favor of Z8"s. Now it's the turn of the "prosumers." I think their timing makes sense.

For anyone in the great Boston area that wants to feel one in hand Hunt's will have some during their spring Expo

1683734397541.png

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Only minor gripe is that they dropped the dial for release mode. But that's a extremely nitpicky and minor gripe, not at all a deal breaker. VERY happy overall to see the control layout is more akin to what I'm used to. Haven't seen confirmation that they use menu banks like the Z9/D850/etc, but since I'm not seeing any annoying "U" dial settings, I'm betting it's using the menu banks (hopefully Steve's stream will answer that!)

I'm pretty tempted to drive down to my local camera shop and put in an order. Especially if the ship dates are true, I could potentially have it in hand for my backup in Costa Rica next month. And that's awful tempting.

Back