Official Nikon Z8 Launch And Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've only read the first and last page, so excuse me if this has been discussed. This price point is nearing my affordability. But If I took the leap, I wouldn't be able to afford new lenses for some time. How do these, Z8/Z9, work with the adapter and F mount lenses? I'm currently using D500 and Tamron G2 150-600 for the most part.
Every one of my F-mount lenses consistently performs better and produces sharper images on the Z bodies than on the DSLR's that I had before. Main reason is the on-sensor focus of the mirrorless cameras is more accurate than that of the DSLR's.

As for questions concerned about battery life of a single ENEL15c in the Z8 ?

Well, a fully charged ENEL15c packs a fair charge with its rating of 2280 mAh, especially if we compare the bulkier 3300 ENEL18d, and it gets close to the earlier ENEL18 models, 2500 mAh

I get workable mileage out of the ENEL18c in the Z9.

The mileages remain to be tested, out in the wilds, but the Z8 grip appears to be essential for sustained video shooting. This is particularly as it allows Hot swopping of the A battery. Direct charging 1 or 2 batteries can also be useful, given that Nikon has yet to update (?!?) the MH25a charger into the PD universe. It's a few years trailing how the Mh-33 works so compactly with the ENEL18# batteries.

As for questions concerned about battery life of a single ENEL15c in the Z8 ?

Well, a fully charged ENEL15c packs a fair charge with its rating of 2280 mAh, especially if we compare the bulkier 3300 ENEL18d, and it gets close to the earlier ENEL18 models, 2500 mAh

I get workable mileage out of the ENEL18c in the Z9.

The mileages remain to be tested, out in the wilds, but the Z8 grip appears to be essential for sustained video shooting. This is particularly as it allows Hot swopping of the A battery. Direct charging 1 or 2 batteries can also be useful, given that Nikon has yet to update (?!?) the MH25a charger into the PD universe. It's a few years trailing how the Mh-33 works so compactly with the ENEL18# batteries.

When comparing EN EL 15 with EN EL 18 batteries, we must not forget that ENEL18 has a higher voltage of 10.8 V compared to 7.2V in the ENEL15.
This has to be taken into account when comparing capacities.
It is therefore more useful to compare energies in Wh. The ENEL15c has 16 Wh and the ENEL 18d has 36 Wh. That is a factor of 2.25 for the big battery. 💪
Assuming that the Z8's electronic architecture is identical to the Z9, one can conclude that with the Z9 we will get about 2.25 times more shots/running time, which is consistent with the CIPA numbers (720 vs. 340 = 2.12)

Last edited:
Exactly, how could you get the same performance with the lower voltage? If the higher voltage isn’t needed why is the Z9 using it? Unless we need the higher voltage to power the ethernet cable, or the GPS.

Exactly, how could you get the same performance with the lower voltage? If the higher voltage isn’t needed why is the Z9 using it? Unless we need the higher voltage to power the ethernet cable, or the GPS.
You just draw more current from it.
It's just a matter of how battery cells are built. A lithium ion battery cell always has a voltage of 3.6 V. The ENEL15 battery has two cells in line in it, so 7.2 volts.
The ENEL 18 battery has three cells, that makes 10.8 volts.
Performance (power) is voltage times current. So, with increased voltage, you can lower the current to get the same power.

Hi Steve,

I´m planning to go for a Z8 from my D500 and Z7. Meanwhile I have these two doubts:
- Can I use my XQD cards in the Z8?
- I have an old AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4 D I-ED (I love this beast!). Will I be able to use it on the Z8 with the FTZ II? I've been use on the Z7 without problems.

Thx a lot!
I believe the answer is yes to both. However I would avoid the XQD cards – the problem is they just are fast enough. You just won't enjoy the full speed benefit of the camera.

Joel, the actual voltages used by the internal circuitry of the camera are less than either the -15 or -18 batteries, so in either case, the voltages are regulated down to the required circuitry requirements. The reason the -18 batteries are higher voltage is that they use three nominal 3.6V lion cells instead of the 2 that are used in the -15 series. Addtionally, the cells used in the -18 packs are physically larger and of a higher WH rating than those used in the -15 packs.

2 x 3.6V=7.2V x 2200 mAh = 16WH for the -15 packs
3 x 3.6V=10.8V x 3350mAh = 36WH for the -18 packs

The above voltages and currents are approximations and may vary slightly by version of the battery packs, but you get the gist.

I have a z7ii , that I don't love for birds, a D850, and my main bird camera D500. How steep is my learning curve going to be as I've preordered the z8? Should I grab the z9 guide and extrapolate from that, or will there be something out soon?

The Z8 has me anticipating the Canon R5ii. It seems to go directly head to head with many similar features. An arms race can only be good news for photographers. Somebody might have posted this already.

I think that Canon folk will have to wait for the R5ii to launch -- Canon Rumours said Q2 2023 -- so maybe there is not long to wait. Other forum have done the comparisons between the CR guesses and the Z8 -- and much depends on whether or not the R5ii comes with a new faster shutter or not. Otherwise it may be their Z6 --> Z6ii moment -- two chips not one and not a lot else changed. BUT competition is good. Tribalism is bad. 61mp and pixel shift in a FF or smaller sensor body is not for me. Seth Miranda and others have the same view. BUT we all get to choose for ourselves.

I have a z7ii , that I don't love for birds, a D850, and my main bird camera D500. How steep is my learning curve going to be as I've preordered the z8? Should I grab the z9 guide and extrapolate from that, or will there be something out soon?
It sounds like the stuff that really matters will be the same. Particularly with regards to the AF which is the biggest/hardest step from DSLR to MILC. Depending on how you view/do things you may have to re-learn how to use AF. That's how it was for me as I need to understand how stuff works to fully utilize it. In that regard Steve's Z9 guide does a good job of providing some insight.

Z8 appears to be very similar in size as the D500, as slighly narrower and higher by the same amount. Z8 is 150grams/0.33 pounds heavier.

Z8
5.7 in. (144 mm) x 4.7 in. (118.5 mm) x 3.3 in. (83 mm)

D500
5.8 in. (147 mm) x 4.6 in. (115 mm) x 3.2 in. (81 mm)
As someone with big hands, I appreciate Nikon making this bigger than Z6/7 or Sony (any Sony). However, I was just on AlphaShooters and many of them are saying it is too big with Sony being "sleek" and other positive adjectives. I guess the people on that thread all have small hands because Sony bodies are way too small for me to use without a grip. Though I mainly shoot Nikon D850 (perfect size for me without a grip) I do have a Sony A74 that I use with a battery grip for their excellent 200-600 lens. With the grip it is perfect size and weight, but without it would be unuseable for me.

I believe they stated that it uses the same battery as the Z7, Z6, Z50, etc.
Thanks.
Not just larger, also doesn't even fit properly. Worst design I've seen in awhile for a grip designed from scratch specifically for that one camera.
I must have missed something. Where is it said that the Z8 grip doesn't fit properly?
I know Nikon took a lot of slack for not including a grip option with Z6/7...so they are obviously not going to let that happen with Z8. But I really think Z8 should be shot gripless. If you really want a grip, buy the Z9.
I tend to agree. However, I do see that getting the Z8 and buying a $350 grip is a lot cheaper than a Z9, and batteries/chargers compatible with other D and Z cameras that most users may already have on hand would be convenient and cost-saving. Plus the grip can be removed for a true mini-Z shooting experience. So, pros and cons. I'm weighing all this myself, already owning a Z9 and D850, and deciding whether to replace the D850 with a Z8 rather than a second Z9. The main drawbacks of the Z8, to me, would be a reduced number of control buttons and significantly shorter battery life when shot gripless. But I have batteries in abundance, so...

Back