Official Nikon Z8 Launch And Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

And you've never had an issue with the sensor getting covered in dust?
If I'm in a dusty environment, I take a lot extra precautions to shield the camera and lens when doing a swap. I also try to use two bodies, two lenses that give me enough focal length coverage to not even use TCs or at least always keep the TC on one of the lenses.

But for sure, I'd love to have the built-in TC. I used to own the Canon 200-400/4 with TC and it was so flexible. Nikon's new superteles with TCs are drool worthy.

Every one of my F-mount lenses consistently performs better and produces sharper images on the Z bodies than on the DSLR's that I had before. Main reason is the on-sensor focus of the mirrorless cameras is more accurate than that of the DSLR's.
My experience also. Every single AF-S lens I have tested on the FTZ performs as well or better (more have been better) than the same exact lens used on a Nikon dslr.

I have put my pre-order in. I am just trying to figure out what to do with my Z6ll. Probably get next to nothing for it, but probably won’t use it much once I have Z8. What are others doing?

The A1 has a big enough buffer that the CFA cards really aren't all that necessary. I did some fairly serious BIF shooting and although I had one CFA I used high speed SD cards just because it was simpler downloading to laptop. Don't recall ever choking the camera.
Definitely if you shoot lossy compressed raw, a V90 SD card performs superbly. On lossless compressed you can start seeing a difference. On non compressed raw, it’s a big difference (why would anyone shoot non compressed raw is beyond me but I tried…). It’s really About how fast the buffer clears, and since it fills up faster when shooting uncompressed, and clears more slowly, it’s a compounding effect.

You mean like 99% of photographers have been doing for the past 30 years? Sure the built-in TCs are awesome but we have all been managing with external TCs for decades including trips to Africa.
I was going to say the same thing. I have tens of thousands of slides that say it’s feasible. A built-in TC is a tremendous improvement and I’d love one, no question about that, but one can work fine without it. It’s just more demanding.

And you've never had an issue with the sensor getting covered in dust?
I shot in Africa for a decade and I had a “lens changing bag” which was a pillow case with a draw cord. Stick the camera in, TC on/off blind, camera out - roughly 10 to 15 seconds. The idea of a built-in TC is phenomenal and I am in no way downplaying the convenience it brings. You can work without one though.

In the Z8 brochure: “The Z8 features thorough sensor protection to minimise the risk of foreign matter collecting on the image sensor. The camera incorporates the same cutting-edge doublecoating process as the Z9 on the optical filter in front of its image sensor. The first layer is an electro-conductive coating that repels dust, and the second is a fluorine coating that makes it easy to wipe off more stubborn dust. Furthermore, the camera is equipped with a sensor shield that is closed when the camera is turned off, which blocks out dust, and accidental touches when you change lenses. When the camera is turned off, the in-camera VR lock mechanism holds the sensor securely in place. This prevents it from being damaged if the Z 8 is accidentally jolted or shaken during transportation.”
[EDITED]
The standard tactic to minimize dust ingress is to cover gear under a suitable light cloth, or in a dedicated bag as much as possible. A light sheet of thin cotton works well, as in a chitenge aka kikoi to cover camera gear on the seat or one's lap.
If feasible, the other popular tactic is using 2 or more cameras each with a key lens, which minimizes lens changing. Obviously changing under the chitenge minimizes dust ingress.
Above all, regular cleaning is essential, as is regularly blowing dust off gear with compressed air. Using the inbuilt sensor cleaner is standard: manually with Z9 sensor protector open, camera face down and lens off.
Thread 'Cleaning Sensor on Z9' https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/cleaning-sensor-on-z9.14957/

Last edited:
Bottom right of graphic features the new Z8 (latest Progress Report, 31 March 2023 / 11 May 2023), on which Nikon is hedging significant future sales. "Plan to introduce advanced Z 9 features across the lineup. Strengthen competitiveness of Nikon Z-mount system overall."

Note the emphasis to evolve post-launch with firmware upgrades to enhance functionality :) and "Interchangeable lens.... Expanded lineup for mirrorless cameras to 36 lenses (Grow to 50+ in FY 25)"

1683871889467.png

Last edited:
Fast AF-ON for cine shooting as well now -- one wonders what else is hidden and will emerge as folk get their hands on the Z8 -- and hopefully we will see dropped into the Z9 as well in the next firmware update.

Audio Recording format - this time we see on the Z8 spec on Nikon Global site that the Z8 uses preamps and an ADC that allow Linear PCM (48 KHz, 24 bit, for videos recorded in NEV or MOV format) or AAC (48 KHz, 16 bit, for videos recorded in MP4 format). Previously for the Z9 only "Linear PCM (for videos recorded in NEV or MOV format) or AAC (for videos recorded in MP4)" was stated and many folk immediately concluded that audio in Z9 was 14-bit. I believed the Z9 and Z8 have the same Pre-amps and ADC and so both can deliver the same format audio. One wonders if the Z8 and Z9 share the same tech or did Nikon upgrade the tech in the Z8. i sent this question to NPS.

Sure 32-floating bit would have been nice -- but that is why one uses external field recorders with mics input and powered via XLR. Nikon says: "Capture 24 bit linear PCM sound right to the memory card alongside your footage. Compatible with professional XLR microphones using Tascam’s digital adapter CA-XLR2d-AN (sold separately and uses an audio cable and an external battery rather than draw power from the camera)." - Nikon says it has partnered with Tascam -- one waits to see what Nikon specific tech will emerge.

I use a Portacapture X8 which is relatively huge, but allows 32-bit floating point processing and sampling rates up to 192 kHz saved onto a microSD card. Not much smaller in the alternatives offer this and one needs to aggressively treat/suppress wind noise, which I failed to do in Kenya making most of my off-camera audio recordings useless.
I ended up using the audio saved in camera using a RØDE NTG Premium On-Camera shotgun mic plugged into the mic in port on the Z9 and this worked fine -- but there was too much pickup of sounds from inside our vehicle to just use the audio. A Supercardioid shotgun mic would have done a better job. see below.

So one wonders as to the benefits of using a Tascam’s digital adapter CA-XLR2d-AN ---well of course one can use it with a very good shotgun mic on a boom. The RØDE NTG5 Premium Lightweight Supercardioid RF-Bias Shotgun Microphone looks very good when combined with a Blimp Microphone Windshield Mount and Vibration Protection System for Shotgun Microphones. However the one that works with Nikon is the Analoge version - you plug in a 3.5mm audio cable into both the adapter and camera - whereas Sony/Canon use a data link in the hotshoe. As a result the sample rate and bit depth of the ADC in the Z8/9 become the limiter. I therefore am still to see the real benefits in audio quality.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I´m planning to go for a Z8 from my D500 and Z7. Meanwhile I have these two doubts:
- Can I use my XQD cards in the Z8?
- I have an old AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4 D I-ED (I love this beast!). Will I be able to use it on the Z8 with the FTZ II? I've been use on the Z7 without problems.

Thx a lot!
I forgot about one more piece of equipment that I use for macro...
- The flash SB-900 will work on the Z8? It is fully functional on the Z7.....

Thx!

Bottom right of graphic features the new Z8 (latest Progress Report, 31 March 2023), on which Nikon is hedging significant future sales. "Plan to introduce advanced Z 9 features across the lineup. Strengthen competitiveness of Nikon Z-mount system overall."

Note the emphasis to evolve post-launch with firmware upgrades to enhance functionality :) and "Interchangeable lens.... Expanded lineup for mirrorless cameras to 36 lenses (Grow to 50+ in FY 25)"

On page 12 of the progress with the long term plan they say underCapEx "Increased manufacturing capacity in optical components and strengthen investments in DX" --- is this a ray of hope for those wanting a D500 version of the Z8?
UPDATE -- NO -- DX is something to do with office administration and It perhaps.

Last edited:
I read DX as the acronym for 'Digital Transformation' trending corporate speak for moving away from human interfaces (phones and front desk) with clients to www based, with AI interfaces (as in the tyrannical robotic looping through selecting choices on the keypad, trying to get sense of out of a govt dept....)

Last edited:
Matt Granger has a new video out comparing buffer times of the Z8 against the Z9, but it's kind of a convoluted video that jumps around all over the place because he had a pre-production model, and then wanted to test writing to both card slots... in general, it seems the Z8 chokes at some point, whereas the Z9 goes forever (Lossless Raw just slows down, but never stops, HE and HE* are infinite). He stopped testing and jumped to another topic before he did HE* to single card on the Z8 though, which is what I really wanted to see. I'm not a big "lay on the shutter for minutes at a time" kind of shooter, so I don't think it'll affect me, but it's certainly good to know the limits.

Steve, if you have the time/bandwidth, any chance you could buffer test the Z8 (please?) :)

Are you familiar with homo sapiens? We should start a list of complaints. So far:
- specs are too similar to Z9
- battery life is not enough
- two different cards
- form factor is still too big(i.e. bigger than Z6/7)
- grip is ugly
- grip won't take same battery as Z9
edits:
- no pixel shift
- no gps
- no dial on top for setting fps etc.
- costs too much compared to D850
- doesn't cost enough, Nikon will go broke
- going to take all the Z9 sales(Nikon will go broke)
- no lock on memory card door
😹

Back