Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I immediately pre-ordered the 24-120, and the 100-400. These two lenses will replace my 24-70 4, 24-200, and my 70-300 F 🤗

I almost pre-ordered the Z9 - but truth be told it's not an immediate need for me so I'm trying to be somewhat responsible with $ :) I'm holding out for the next-gen Z6/7 ("8"?) to see what they inherit from this Z9 beast. But I'm exercising a lot of self-control here today 😆
Will there be a Z850?

I saw the video and that does ease my mind a bit. Still, I'd like to compare. What I saw in the video demo form him, looking at the eyes, looks promising. However, I saw a lot of swapping between eye AF and the larger box too - a little more than I'd expect on a a1 or R5. However - it's impossible to know without testing side by side and the video was with a pre-production unit.
Can't wait (tho know I must :) ) for your review and impressions of this camera after you've put it through its paces.

It is very unlikely for it to be an 800 f5.6 PF...looking at the silhouette image, it looks more like an f8.
If it is an f5.6, I'm sure it'll be the most expensive lens by any canera brand.
Yeah, looking at the silhouette I'm guessing that 800mm lens will be either an f/8 or hopefully an f/6.3 but if those images are accurate it almost certainly won't be an f/5.6 lens. An 800mm f/5.6 requires almost exactly the same front lens diameter as a 400mm f/2.8 and the silhouette of the upcoming 800mm is narrower than the 400mm f/2.8 right next to it.

With reference to the Z9 buffer ".... in the Nikon US panel discussion, Mark Cruz said with a very fast CFExpress card (like Prograde Cobalt or Delkin Black) He fired off a 20 fps RAW 14 bit lossless burst for over 15 seconds and the buffer never filled. " to cite Eric's post in parallel thread.
This is 300 frames out of a preproduction Z9. Firmware for RAW video etc will probably upgrade this for those who really need to shoot long bursts at highest fps

Last edited:
Watching Kai's video and he shoots high speed fps silently and I think the camera better have a fake shutter noise option, certainly for cold weather shoots when I can't feel the shutter button and rely on hearing the camera fire to know if I've actually pushed the shutter (true story) LOL Then I saw Morton's video and heard the 'shutter.'
It does, some of the other reviewers show it. You also get 3 options for visual confirmation in the viewfinder that you are actually shooting. Very similar to the Sony A1 implementation.

Don't think this one has been posted

A landscape photographer shoots landscape and pets.

Regarding Ricci's video I loved the Kingfisher eye tracking and of course fish eye tracking too!

I have placed a preorder so can't wait to get one for real.

When you pre-order the camera is it traditional for wthe retailer to charge the full amount on the credit card before they ship, or even receive the camera from Nikon, or do they hold off and not charge the card until the product ships? I’m asking because the store I’m about to pre-order with wants to let the full charge go through even though it could be months before I get the camera. The group’s advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
At least for Z7II and 500 PF, my local dealer required payment in full at time of placing order.

There are a lot of interesting comments in this thread about the Z9, however, I will patiently wait for all of you to get your Z9's and provide your (more valuable) hands on feedback of the product than the info in this thread. I look forward to those valuable threads because there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. The Z9 may eventually end up being my first foray into the mirrorless world, however that will not be for a year or two (or more). I am retired and my D850's and my Nikon f-glass lens line-up will have to satisfy me for a while. I am not a professional just like most on this forum and I am not getting carried away with the feeding frenzy. I'm glad I am not trying to photograph the frenzy because I don't believe there is any eye detection technology available in any camera line to capture it. I have too much invested in Nikon to be jumping back and forth between brands. It is great to hear about Nikon's announcement and that many feel they have at least caught the competition (per comments on this thread). I do not wish to get caught up in the frustration of not being able to get my hands on the newest product. And, I will patiently monitor what bugs (hopefully there are none) are found and for Nikon to correct them (D800 and D600 issues for example). As of now, I'm glad the Nikon future looks more promising than it did earlier in the year. I just put $100.00 in my Nikon mirrorless camera jar today. :) ;)

At least for Z7II and 500 PF, my local dealer required payment in full at time of placing order.
Thanks. I’ve received quite a bit of good advice since posting my question. You’re right, policies vary significantly between dealers. I found a “local dealer” only 1.5 hrs away, District Camera, and they took my preorder without charging my card. Now, how to qualify as an NPS member (LOL) to get to the head of the line!

The F-mount 180-400 with built-in 1.4x TC accepts external TCs. So far the 1.4x and 2x Z TCs are not stackable as noted in their announcement. Any information on whether the in Development Z 400mm f/2.8 TC will be able to accept an external TC?
Also noted in Ricci's Z9 video, although the Z9 works with the original FTZ adapter, he said that the Z9 vertical position was 'painful'.

There are a lot of interesting comments in this thread about the Z9, however, I will patiently wait for all of you to get your Z9's and provide your (more valuable) hands on feedback of the product than the info in this thread. I look forward to those valuable threads because there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. The Z9 may eventually end up being my first foray into the mirrorless world, however that will not be for a year or two (or more). I am retired and my D850's and my Nikon f-glass lens line-up will have to satisfy me for a while. I am not a professional just like most on this forum and I am not getting carried away with the feeding frenzy. I'm glad I am not trying to photograph the frenzy because I don't believe there is any eye detection technology available in any camera line to capture it. I have too much invested in Nikon to be jumping back and forth between brands. It is great to hear about Nikon's announcement and that many feel they have at least caught the competition (per comments on this thread). I do not wish to get caught up in the frustration of not being able to get my hands on the newest product. And, I will patiently monitor what bugs (hopefully there are none) are found and for Nikon to correct them (D800 and D600 issues for example). As of now, I'm glad the Nikon future looks more promising than it did earlier in the year. I just put $100.00 in my Nikon mirrorless camera jar today. :) ;)
Ginnie and I are essentially in the same boat. We are scheduled for trips through September 2022 and won't consider a Z-9 till after that. By then this forum will have lots of experience and Steve should have a field guide for how to set up the Z-9.
Tom

Matt Granger just released a video about buffer on Z9
[...]
EDIT: unfortunately he is using example on lowest quality/size RAW...

It is unfortunate he didn't shoot full sized lossless compressed raw. But if you take that with other references, I think we're seeing a growing confirmation that card speed matters.

With reference to the Z9 buffer ".... in the Nikon US panel discussion, Mark Cruz said with a very fast CFExpress card (like Prograde Cobalt or Delkin Black) He fired off a 20 fps RAW 14 bit lossless burst for over 15 seconds and the buffer never filled. " to cite Eric's post in parallel thread.
This is 300 frames out of a preproduction Z9.

Ricci's video says the only 2 card brands, which 1. do not overheat and 2. meet the Z9 output are Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt; their minimum write speeds are fast enough.

Just ordered a Delkin black 128 GB card. Seems to have the fasted write speed at 1710 around. Would like a 256 but it had slower write so I think after testing I'll either order another or maybe something new is down the pipeline. I would recommend anyone who ordered a Z9 get a card NOW. Who knows how long it could be out of stock with our current environment if there is a run of these cards. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...es_dcfxblk128_128gb_black_cfexpress_type.html

Just ordered a Delkin black 128 GB card. Seems to have the fasted write speed at 1710 around. Would like a 256 but it had slower write so I think after testing I'll either order another or maybe something new is down the pipeline. I would recommend anyone who ordered a Z9 get a card NOW. Who knows how long it could be out of stock with our current environment if there is a run of these cards. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...es_dcfxblk128_128gb_black_cfexpress_type.html
At these frame rates, you can fill a 128 GB card up pretty fast. You might want to order another one!

This is a big issue for me. ;);) I'm a SASQUATCH shooter and am tired of getting fuzzy pictures. For years, I've never been able to get a wall hanger. LMAO :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Be careful with this! I've heard that everytime Sasquatch hears a camera shutter, he soon after ambushes the photographer and chimps the files. If there are any in focus, the gear and photographer are never seen or heard from again. Out of focus photos are permissible, apparently. ;)

Back