Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Will there be a Z850?
That is a question many would like answered, and soon. However, battery life would likely be a major LIMFAC if you're talking about a camera without the "grip."

Now that I've thought about that, I've put a deposit down on a Z9 and an adapter. I can't explain to anyone, including me, why I did so. It goes against every rule I had for obtaining electronic items; the first of which was to never pay to be a product tester.

One thing I'm fairly confident in is that there won't be any issues with oil from the shutter mechanism spoiling the sensor.

IMO... Credit Card full payment up front for the Z9 + 100 - 400 Lens equals around $8,200 not counting any taxes if applicable. I asked the Nikon Dealer where I placed my deposit if paid in full gets my purchase any faster and the answer was No, does it move me ahead of your waiting list if paid in full and again the reply was No. If a Nikon Dealer requires full payment up front for a $5,500 or $8,200 purchase for that matter I'd be looking for another Nikon Dealer. It's going to be a long wait for many of us that preorder the Z9.

Agreed. I had a pleasant conversation with a salesman there and explained my thoughts, which matches yours, but he was bound by the policy. On the other hand, I had once used a reasonably local company, District Camera, which has three stores in the DC, VA area, and had a great experience with them and so I gave them a call and they took my preorder and won’t charge my card until the equipment ships. They’ll be my go to store from now on. Easy to deal with and no nonsense.
Yep, I'm sure they have their reasons and the one here in Cincinnati has some decent folks on staff. I don't want to disparage a retailer. I'm not fond of getting my money tied up for what could be many months. It's not like they would have trouble selling it when it came it. However, their policy, their store, their business.

Hope you get your camera fast. I'm on the fence right now. It's a lot of money for a retired guy.
Jeff

Now that I've thought about that, I've put a deposit down on a Z9 and an adapter. I can't explain to anyone, including me, why I did so. It goes against every rule I had for obtaining electronic items; the first of which was to never pay to be a product tester

I've bought the original D800 a few months after it was available; that's no longer "tester", but still early. Yes, the D800 had its warts (which D810 and later D850 fixed and improved upon); however, it showed me (who never had a FF camera before) that Nikon can do great things when they put their minds to it - which I 100% believe happened with the Z9.

Hence, I preordered as well…

Last edited:
Yep, I'm sure they have their reasons and the one here in Cincinnati has some decent folks on staff. I don't want to disparage a retailer. I'm not fond of getting my money tied up for what could be many months. It's not like they would have trouble selling it when it came it. However, their policy, their store, their business.

Hope you get your camera fast. I'm on the fence right now. It's a lot of money for a retired guy.
Jeff
Thanks.

... I'm not fond of getting my money tied up for what could be many months. It's not like they would have trouble selling it when it came it. However, their policy, their store, their business...
Also don't forget that if you use your credit card to pay, by the time the item is delivered(or if it's not delivered) you may have exceeded the time frame for seeking recourse through the bank/card company.

That is a question many would like answered, and soon. However, battery life would likely be a major LIMFAC if you're talking about a camera without the "grip."

Now that I've thought about that, I've put a deposit down on a Z9 and an adapter. I can't explain to anyone, including me, why I did so. It goes against every rule I had for obtaining electronic items; the first of which was to never pay to be a product tester.

One thing I'm fairly confident in is that there won't be any issues with oil from the shutter mechanism spoiling the sensor.

The good news is that if there is an issue, you're in the same boat as Nikon's best professional customers. Nikon historically has been good about providing warranties and updates for any defects. I suspect that the large number of Nikon Ambassadors and other professionals involved in testing means any serious bugs have already been identified and were not issues.

Nikon has already mentioned a couple of enhancements planned for firmware updates. One is 60p 8k video. The other is customizable Group AF. I was told by one senior Nikon pro that with firmware and software, at some point you need to just say it's finished and move forward. You can't delay the project to add everything you think of that it needs.

Ordered mine yesterday. Glad I didn't get the D6. I've been waiting to see what Nikon came up with for a flagship mirrorless.
I went to B&H (Will be my first time ordering from them) added the Z9, 70-200mm and 100-400mm lenses, 1.4x teleconverter, FTZ-II, 325GB storage card and usb card reader to my cart and removed them at least 3 times trying to decide between maxing out a credit card and get it NOW in case price goes up after pre-order or wait until real users like Steve review it or maybe wait for the Z7-III or Z8.. I WANT IT LOL but afraid to buy it. I am still learning my D500 but want the silent shutter as I tend to scare the local little birds and have to wait for them to return.

Currently playing with the B&H cart to maybe split the cost evenly between my 2 biggest credit cards, I should be able to pay one of them half way down by time the Camera actually arrives.

Total of the Cart is $15,700 (OUCH) but hey I live alone so no one to leave my money to in a will lol, and I can’t take it with me but might take 3-5 years to pay off.

EDIT: now dropped the unavailable 100-400mm lens in exchange for the available f/5.6 500mm prime for my D500/Future Z9.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Z9 body comes with a battery and charger or when I order from B&H if I need to add those extra?
If the Z9 doesn’t come with a Battery and the Charger it will be a first for my purchases of 7 Nikon Cameras. From viewing several Z9 Videos I’m remembering it was mentioned that the new style Battery and Charger was included.

If the Z9 doesn’t come with a Battery and the Charger it will be a first for my purchases of 7 Nikon Cameras. From viewing several Z9 Videos I’m remembering it was mentioned that the new style Battery and Charger was included.
Yah, I'd say it's a full on 'of course' re battery and charger....

Back