Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is a big issue for me. ;);) I'm a SASQUATCH shooter and am tired of getting fuzzy pictures. For years, I've never been able to get a wall hanger. LMAO :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you're going to be out of luck. I didn't see Sasquatch listed as one of the 9 subject detection modes. Maybe it will be in a future firmware update so there is still hope.

Yeah, looking at the silhouette I'm guessing that 800mm lens will be either an f/8 or hopefully an f/6.3 but if those images are accurate it almost certainly won't be an f/5.6 lens. An 800mm f/5.6 requires almost exactly the same front lens diameter as a 400mm f/2.8 and the silhouette of the upcoming 800mm is narrower than the 400mm f/2.8 right next to it.
Where did you see this image? I see an 800 in the plan, but no photo or silhouette of one. Thx!

Where did you see this image? I see an 800 in the plan, but no photo or silhouette of one. Thx!
Over on Nikon Rumors:
1635532017805.png

OK, another question. Has anyone mentioned mixing and matching CFe and XQD cards? Meaning, use the faster CFe card in slot 1 to record RAW and video and the XQD in slot 2 to capture high res jpg files? In my D500 I have XQD cards for slot 1 upon which I capture RAW and Video (what a pain to capture video on DSLR) and USSii SD cards for jpg in slot 2.

Reason I ask is it would be far less costly initially to use my XQD cards for the backup and get a fast CF3 card for slot 1.

Still weighing pros and cons of buying this beast. I want it terribly bad and as @Hut2 said, you only live once. Just on a retiree's income, 5,500 for the camera, 250 for an FTZ is a lot of greenbacks. Now add in cost of upgrading lenses over the coming years, well, it is not a decision I can make lightly or out of an emotional "I want it" moment.

I know, the decision to keep my excellent D500 or switch to the even more excellent Z9 is a pretty good problem to have.
Jeff

Take a look at Ricci's video about the 100-400. He compares it to the 180-400 (including using a 1.4 TC). It sounds like it stacks up super well in terms of image quality. That said, I don't think this is really intended to be a wildlife lens, I think it's really more of a action/sport lens, but it certainly seems up to the job if you can deal with the aperture.

Just saying: many, maybe even most of the Canon bird photographers I know have made generous use of that company's 100-400mm zoom (usually the very, very sharp 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM ), often coupled with a 1.4x teleconverter. A combination of a 600mm plus the 100-400mm is a common travel combo. Some are now going to the RF 100-500mm, of course. If the new Nikon 100-400mm is really sharp (the 80-400mm was good, but not exceptional), I do think a lot of bird photographers (including me) will get one and use it for birds and wildlife.

Doing a quick scan of my previous bif (wildlife) shots shows that most were taken with at least 500mm zoom setting. I never gave that much thought before now and wonder if the new Z9 along with the new 100-400mm would be too much of a limitation.

Curious to hear peoples thought on the z9,100-400 combination. Is it practical for bif? Would you add a converter or just shoot in crop mode?

Ok, I already posted a comment on this topic, but --- I would pack a 100-400mm as my "second" lens for birds, in combination with a longer lens, whether 500mm or 600mm (or for that matter, 800mm). This kind of zoom is good for BIF because you can locate the bird at 100mm and then zoom in; it's good for shots of multiple birds at once, as with waterfowl or whatever; and it's good for situations where you are lucky enough to be very close to your subject, whether at feeders or from a blind, etc. A 200-600mm might be even better, as you have that longer reach, but the lens is also significantly bigger and heavier.

At least for Z7II and 500 PF, my local dealer required payment in full at time of placing order.

The bigger dealers will all hold off charging your card until the item is shipped. The camera store I have ordered from a few times recently (Precision Camera in Austin, Texas) asks for a deposit; in the case of the Z9 it was $400. That charge went through, but the balance will not be charged until the camera ships. My own local dealer in Berkeley, California, is very rigid about this issue and does ask for full payment up front, and as a result, I don't buy any preorder items from them.

That makes sense to me. Procam wants it all up front and run the card through. I wonder if that’s because I’m out of state. I know Adorama doesn’t charge the card until the item ships regardless of from where in US the order comes from.
I like ProCam but they have some "interesting" policies. It's nice to have a camera store about an hour away but their return policy really makes it less attractive than a B&H, Adorama, Amazon. Also, from what you're saying, I'm not sure I'd want my CC charged for something that may not ship for months. If it's anything like the D850 or the 500PF, it could be upwards of a 8 months to a year before Nikon has the wait time down to just a few weeks from a few months.

Again, the more I look at it the more I think 800mm 5.6. If the front element was smaller I’d say F8 but they could have had an F8 with a front element similar to that of the 500pf and just add the extra distance on the tail end. That size screams f5.6 to me only because I believe and F8 could have been made much smaller.
To me the big question is whether those silhouettes are accurate or whether we're reading too much into a marketing graphic.

But assuming those graphics are accurate the 800mm lens sure looks narrower than the 400mm f/2.8 and if the 800mm is really an f/5.6 lens the objectives would be nearly identical. Time will tell and that would be awesome if it was an 800mm f/5.6 lens in that smaller package so I really hope you're right. But based on what's been shown I'm guessing it won't be a f/5.6 lens.

Looking forward to reading full reviews on what seems to be a cracking effort by Nikon to meet the requirements of a mirror less pro level camera. Interesting to read the discussions across the forum and wider media on the frame rates and buffer size.
One thing is for sure, file handling, image review, selection and storage will be a drama.
At least the problem of shutter life has been negated which is just as well considering the number of shots will rack up massively. Good luck to those who want to max out the 1000 shot buffer and wish to exceed 20fps raw . It will be interesting to see how the images across all three formats actually look on decent monitors.
No doubt you will get some fantastic images which may very well have been missed before. The price of the jump in keepers is one heck of a lot of image management. Will be worth to be sure. Now about the articles on NAS storage….

The bigger dealers will all hold off charging your card until the item is shipped. The camera store I have ordered from a few times recently (Precision Camera in Austin, Texas) asks for a deposit; in the case of the Z9 it was $400. That charge went through, but the balance will not be charged until the camera ships. My own local dealer in Berkeley, California, is very rigid about this issue and does ask for full payment up front, and as a result, I don't buy any preorder items from them.
Thanks for the information. What you say is consistent with the advice of others. I finally ordered from a large brick and mortar “local store” (1.5 hrs away) with a good reputation and they took my card but won’t charge it until the items ship. My thinking has been it will be months before the gear arrives and who can say these places will still be in business, and even if they are, why should I be financing their operation. But that’s just me!

I like ProCam but they have some "interesting" policies. It's nice to have a camera store about an hour away but their return policy really makes it less attractive than a B&H, Adorama, Amazon. Also, from what you're saying, I'm not sure I'd want my CC charged for something that may not ship for months. If it's anything like the D850 or the 500PF, it could be upwards of a 8 months to a year before Nikon has the wait time down to just a few weeks from a few months.
Agreed. I had a pleasant conversation with a salesman there and explained my thoughts, which matches yours, but he was bound by the policy. On the other hand, I had once used a reasonably local company, District Camera, which has three stores in the DC, VA area, and had a great experience with them and so I gave them a call and they took my preorder and won’t charge my card until the equipment ships. They’ll be my go to store from now on. Easy to deal with and no nonsense.

My understanding is that it is not legal to charge for an item unless it can be shipped within 30 days. https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...s-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

However I'm no lawyer and maybe there are exceptions to this rule. But I'd never pay upfront for something that might not ship for months, if at all. Good point that a shop could even go out of business!

Yesterday morning I put my name on the list at two shops I know where they don't even take your credit card, but will contact the names on the list in order when the item comes it and see if you still want it. I've had great luck with one of them before (Roberts.) But then this morning I decided to go for a third shop because for me it would be tax-free and also I had a discount code. This shop I did have to give a card, but they will not charge until shipment (unfortunately though I think I waited too long as I was told they already had at least 50 pre-orders.)

My understanding is that it is not legal to charge for an item unless it can be shipped within 30 days. https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...s-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

However I'm no lawyer and maybe there are exceptions to this rule. But I'd never pay upfront for something that might not ship for months, if at all. Good point that a shop could even go out of business!

Yesterday morning I put my name on the list at two shops I know where they don't even take your credit card, but will contact the names on the list in order when the item comes it and see if you still want it. I've had great luck with one of them before (Roberts.) But then this morning I decided to go for a third shop because for me it would be tax-free and also I had a discount code. This shop I did have to give a card, but they will not charge until shipment (unfortunately though I think I waited too long as I was told they already had at least 50 pre-orders.)
I don’t know the legal issues surrounding retail sales either but I agree with you and oh is it going to be a long wait for certain.

I think it looks a fantastic camera which I think could be a good enough reason to push a lot of DSLR shooters to make the switch to the mirrorless system especially if it’s true that you can use your F-mount lenses with the new adaptor which could also make the switch less of a financial burden.

Back