Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Does this mean there are no Human,Animal,Bird toggle etc& there is only one AF area mode for all situations ie.static & moving sunjects

That is one of the unique Z9 attributes. You can select a specific category to detect but there is also an automatic mode where the camera decides alone what’s in the picture. Time will tell if that induces any lag or mis-identification compared to reducing the list of things the camera looks for.
I can imagine Sony bringing that to the A1 via software update if the processor supports it. At least combine bird and animal like canon does.

I think the way it works is you can move between eyes/subjects using the direction pad. The camera automatically detects multiple eyes/ subjects in the frame let's say if there is a dog, a human and a car and then it automatically selects the subject and also allows an override in auto subject mode...theres also an option to manually select the subject type like humans or animals or car etc.just like how the other brands work now. I think I heard this in one of the discussions hosted by Chris Ogonek but not 100% sure in which discussion.
That’s what I have seen as well. Time will tell if using auto induces more false detections but the videos are quite convincing so far. That’s something I think canon and Sony will work on if their hardware supports it.

Like I said before he knows which side his bread is buttered on.
Thom's not perfect by any means and he does not need me to defend him. I find what he writes to be interesting and usually useful. I think he is not a Nikon fanboy. He criticizes Nikon a lot. Thom also shoots with the A1 in addition to his Nikon gear. And earlier this year (May), he picked the A1 as the best all around camera you could get, followed by the D850 and the R5.

I have not used either an A1 or a Z9. Both look to be amazing cameras. I have preordered a Z9, given my Nikon lens collection. I also like the Z lenses. But if I do not like it, I would have no hesitancy to get an A1.

That is one of the unique Z9 attributes. You can select a specific category to detect but there is also an automatic mode where the camera decides alone what’s in the picture. Time will tell if that induces any lag or mis-identification compared to reducing the list of things the camera looks for.
I can imagine Sony bringing that to the A1 via software update if the processor supports it. At least combine bird and animal like canon does.
The auto mode may slow down the camera.
If there are say 5 objects the camera may have to check every time for 5 objects ( during fast action) ( the objects may be in air ,ground or water or even a mix of them) & then decide which one to engage.if there are 10 objects type it may become still slower.
This is probably the reason separate modes are given apart from auto mode
Field tests would show whether the camera slows down on auto mode ( assuming object recognition is correctly done)

Interesting hypothesis, which again awaits comparative testing. It would be interesting to know the AF settings in the scenes we've been seeing eg these terns etc.

The auto mode may slow down the camera.
If there are say 5 objects the camera may have to check every time for 5 objects ( during fast action) ( the objects may be in air ,ground or water or even a mix of them) & then decide which one to engage.if there are 10 objects type it may become still slower.
This is probably the reason separate modes are given apart from auto mode
Field tests would show whether the camera slows down on auto mode ( assuming object recognition is correctly done)

Last edited:
Edit: oops just realized you asked for pro res raw...i do remember seeing some crazy bit rate for pro res raw but couldn't locate that video right away.

If you scroll down the page in the below link, Nikon has specified the bit rates under the section "About average bit rate"

I thought someone posted the bitrate for the upcoming prores raw, but now i can't find that. Anyone see that?

Edit: oops just realized you asked for pro res raw...i do remember seeing some crazy bit rate for pro res raw but couldn't locate that video right away.

Yah, I remember commenting that I didn’t know what the bitrates for video was and something posted later kind of highlighted that most of the bitrates were 400MB/s or less, which made me remember seeing something that that the prores raw was substantially higher. Higher enough that it’s not clear if any of the current media can handle it.

I’m starting to wonder if HE* is actually mathematically lossless. I don’t have the time to find the references atm, but the link to that site that it appears that Nikon is licensing the format from says it’s available in different levels, including lossless and i noticed one reference from a nikon web page that mentioned it was lossless.

If this is true, raw compressed is probably more accurately "legacy raw".

If true, it would also explain why they are doing all the buffer demos on HE*

Last edited:
Yes this is the video..

Yah, so, that’s substantially faster than is possible with cfe-a, or even a lot of the cfe-b media in circulation

366B838E-EFFC-4878-92D1-8BE91B2387D9.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The official table above says 33mb 685 frames for HE*, so it's hard to understand why this format is capped at 20fps and no higher (?)

I'm going to go out on a limb and make the prediction they'll open up 30fps to HE* with these cards.

Polar bear on Svalbad with Z9 and 800 f5.6E FL -Morten Hilmer

IMO Morten is a such a great ambassador. I always feel like Joe is hamming it up, but Morten is just out there and it’s clear it’s about the photography and his hard use of equipment isn’t some stunt, it’s just how he rolls and he also isn’t going out of his way to abuse it, indeed he also is mindful of his gear.

Remember one of the posts by TH before the announcement of Z9 where he said Nikon was probably rushing this release a bit? I think these are the potential areas he meant perhaps.

I was also wondering, if Nikon can get 30 fps in JPEG and can have such huge buffer with HE formats at 20fps they should be able to pull off 30fps in HE format. In fact, after looking at their 120 fps mode that offers full AE and AF, it will be amazing if Nikon offers several flexible FPS options using different formats/crop sizes. Like upto 30fps in full 45mp resolution, 40 fps in 36mp, 50 fps in 24 fps and so on upto 120 fps.

The official table above says 33mb 685 frames for HE*, so it's hard to understand why this format is capped at 20fps and no higher (?)

WRT to breaking new ground, and as a Nikon guy, it’s clear we have Sony to thank for where we are in the context of mirrorless. They first showed it was possible to do decent autofocus in general, then the A9 showed it was possible to make a proper mirrorless pro sport body. I think the Z9 looks to be an incredible camera and that shouldn’t take anything away from the A1 which is also an incredible camera. I think a lot of the “firsts” for the Z9 are only firsts if you view them in a narrow way, but that shouldn’t take away from the fact that clearly Nikon isn’t just trying to match what others are doing but also provide their own perspective on this space. I think we all benefit from Sony lighting a fire under Canon and Nikon, but also to Nikon for now putting pressure on everyone else. In the end, we as photographers win.

Last edited:
Absolutely. If not for the sony A9, A1 etc. Nikon and Canon would still be selling us their 20mp, 16fps D7 and 1D IV. I feel sony will be the first to come up with a global shutter. But right now one area where Canon and particularly Nikon has put some pressure back to Sony is on the tele lens choices and lens tech. Sony needs to think about more telephoto choices like a 500 F4 , pro zoom like 180-400 and also some PF type semi-pro glass. I'm sure they are not sitting there watching the competition. 2022 is going to be exciting for some lens releases from all the top brands.

WRT to breaking new ground, and as a Nikon guy, it’s clear we have Sony to thank for where we are in the context of mirrorless. They first showed it was possible to do decent autofocus in general, then the A9 showed it was possible to make a proper pro body mirrorless. I think the Z9 looks to be an incredible camera and that shouldn’t take anything away from the A1 which is also an incredible camera. I think a lot of the “firsts” for the Z9 are only firsts if you view them in a narrow way, but that shouldn’t take away from the fact that clearly Nikon isn’t just trying to match what others are doing but also provide their own perspective on this space. I think we all benefit from Sony lighting a fire under Canon and Nikon, but also to Nikon for now putting pressure on everyone else. In the end, we as photographers win.

Back