Options when a bird is too far.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here's a simple answer -- it depends. If the light's not great a TC is out for me, then I'd prefer to crop on post-processing. If it's a small subject (dragonfly, butterfly, etc.) in good light I usually use a 1.4x TC on my Olympus 100-400mm, if there's time to put it on. Out of desperation I've used the Olympus 100-400mm plus the 1.4x TC and the 2x in-camera TC for a FF equivalent of 2240mm which in really good light and on a sturdy tripod might produce a usable image. The newer Olympus (OMDS) cameras have a really good in-camera TC that I've used with my 75-300mm that does not take a TC and isn't sharp enough to allow for much cropping. Andy Rouse has a video on the in-camera TC --

What about the 100-400 with No TC on the mk 2? for small birds where you can't get close but are not unreasonably far away? Have you tried that?

Tom

I am planning to use 1.4 TC on my Z8 with 180-600 lens.
I use a tc 1.4 all the time. If the light is good, you get an excellent image . The image below was with the tc on my 500 PF. Quality is noticeably better than a crop. You get more pixels on the subject. I even cropped this image a little.
DSC_3936.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I do not have the 180-600 zoom so my comments are not based on personal experience but on what I have read in reviews.

It is my understanding the 180-600 is not as effective with a tc attached as a 600mm prime lens with tc.

To me the first step for getting to distant birds is to have a lens that is effective at 800mm. The better the lens the more you can crop.

Again, from what I have read the most effective lens at 800mm is probably the F mount 800mm f5.6. Those lenses are extraordinarily expensive bought new but you can actually get deals on them used. But you have to deal with the weight and also have to use the FTZ adapter.

Beyond that the three most effective options are the 600mm f4 tc, the 400mm f2.8 tc or the 800mm pf. Those are listed in order of higher price first. As I understand it from reviews, ranking them in IQ in order of IQ performance at 800mm the order is 800mm pf, 600mm tc and 400mm tc. I emphasize this information is only a summary of what I read and not based on personal experience. I also understand the difference in performance among these three lenses at 800 is pretty minimal.

Certainly any of these four lenses will be ideal for getting after distant subjects.

There is also the issue of maximum aperture when shooting at 800. The F mount 800, the 400mm tc and the 600mm tc will all get you 800 at f5.6. The 800mm pf is one third of an F stop narrower at f6.3.

The 600mm pf is also a lens to consider for 800mm but if you add the 1.4 tc to the equation your aperture drops to f9.

For me price is a major issue and I went with the 800mm pf. I have been very happy with that lens. I am considering eventually adding either the 400mm tc or 600mm tc but that is not in the cards at this point.

I do not have the 180-600 zoom so my comments are not based on personal experience but on what I have read in reviews.

It is my understanding the 180-600 is not as effective with a tc attached as a 600mm prime lens with tc.

To me the first step for getting to distant birds is to have a lens that is effective at 800mm. The better the lens the more you can crop.

Again, from what I have read the most effective lens at 800mm is probably the F mount 800mm f5.6. Those lenses are extraordinarily expensive bought new but you can actually get deals on them used. But you have to deal with the weight and also have to use the FTZ adapter.

Beyond that the three most effective options are the 600mm f4 tc, the 400mm f2.8 tc or the 800mm pf. Those are listed in order of higher price first. As I understand it from reviews, ranking them in IQ in order of IQ performance at 800mm the order is 800mm pf, 600mm tc and 400mm tc. I emphasize this information is only a summary of what I read and not based on personal experience. I also understand the difference in performance among these three lenses at 800 is pretty minimal.

Certainly any of these four lenses will be ideal for getting after distant subjects.

There is also the issue of maximum aperture when shooting at 800. The F mount 800, the 400mm tc and the 600mm tc will all get you 800 at f5.6. The 800mm pf is one third of an F stop narrower at f6.3.

The 600mm pf is also a lens to consider for 800mm but if you add the 1.4 tc to the equation your aperture drops to f9.

For me price is a major issue and I went with the 800mm pf. I have been very happy with that lens. I am considering eventually adding either the 400mm tc or 600mm tc but that is not in the cards at this point.
Yes, I know 180-600 with TC is not the best option but this is only temporary until I save more money for the 800 lens.

Although a TC and / or a crop can sometimes help, there are times where we just have to admit to ourselves that the conditions (distance in this case, but this applies to light, background etc.) are not going to work for a photo. Sometimes, the best approach is to recognize when there's not a photo opportunity there and to just enjoy the animal - or move on in an attempt to find a better target.
Steve,

Don't forget "time for an environmental shot! ...."

Which actually makes sense sometimes. Usually not :) but sometimes.

Back