Options when a bird is too far.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I frequently don't bother shooting birds that are too far away. Where I am there are a lot of conservation areas where you need to stay on the trails so it's often impossible to get closer. There are a few exceptions where I'll take the shot even if I know it's not going to be very good. For example, there was a black-bellied whistling duck not far away in southern Ontario a couple years ago. They're not normally found north of the Gulf of Mexico and that might have been the only chance I ever had to see one. So I packed up my camera and hopped in the car. The shots weren't very good but I have proof I saw it.

Reactions: O
My take is unless the bird in question is of special interest I would hesitate these days to take the shot far off as I can wait for a better opportunity later. However if it’s a rare and likely only time I will see the bird I will take the shot and hope to get something. With a bird in flight you won’t have time to put on a TC in most cases so just use what you have the sooner the better. And accept the shot will likely not be good.

Best to know the limitations of your setup and expectations. Been there. Finding a way to close the distance is usually the best plan. If you see this bird frequently you can try again. You can waste time at the computer cropping and editing only to realize your image has lost the sharpness you thought was there. On the other hand, if you’ve spotted the “extinct” blue legged double crested cockeyed waladoo in breeding plumage by all means reel off the frames… The laws of diminishing returns creeps in as the distance grows…..

If you see this bird frequently you can try again.
+1

Observe the bird and its habits, find a spot where it comes regularly, sit quietly at a reasonable distance and let the bird come to you. Cover yourself with camo-print mesh netting if the bird appears spooked by your presence, or if the bird is still wary back off and enjoy the bird from a distance & let your neurons record your observations.

Back