[POLL] Neck strap

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do you have your neck strap attached on your camera?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Given the long/heavy lenses we use, and carrying via the lens mount when walking around - do most of us use or even have the factory neckstrap attached on the camera?
  • If yes, what do you use it for?
  • If no, is it for the reason above?

Last edited:
I always use the neck strap. For my walk-around lenses, I often let the camera hang from the strap: for my birding lens, I use it as a safety strap in case I drop the camera. If I'm carrying my birding rig on a monopod, I wrap the strap around my hand in case the gimbal isn't secure. I don't recall ever having had my gear fall in use, but better safe than sorry.

I always use the neck strap. For my walk-around lenses, I often let the camera hang from the strap: for my birding lens, I use it as a safety strap in case I drop the camera. If I'm carrying my birding rig on a monopod, I wrap the strap around my hand in case the gimbal isn't secure. I don't recall ever having had my gear fall in use, but better safe than sorry.
Thanks for sharing 🙂 Please vote if you can to make the poll as reflective as possible

Straps are horrible!
Haha I feel you! Is it the faff of it / having it flap around whilst shooting?

My primary lens has been the 500PF. I used it on my D500, D850, and now my Z9. I used to use the Peak Design strap with one anchor on the lens foot and the other on the camera. I had been doing that on the DSLRs up to the Z9. It was on this forum on another thread where I realized that this could be putting additional stress on the lens/camera joint. So after research, I now use a Magpul shoulder strap with a QD connector on to a Hejnar lens foot. I also have a safety strap from the loop on the QD to the camera, such that if the primary QD fails, it’ll only drop about 3”.

Last edited:
I haven’t used the lugs on the camera for years, I use Holdfast gear straps connected to a QD connector that connects to the QD port on either the L bracket or Lens foot. QD connectors are rated to hold over 250 lbs. Kirk, RRS, ProMedia Gear, Leofoto and more all make L brackets, camera plates and lens plates with QD ports. Also another advantage of using QD connectors is the convenience of when you want to mount the camera or lens on a tripod you just release the QD connector from the QD port.
IMG_6590.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My Z8 is the first camera in 30 years where I have decided not to use the Neck strap. My main lenses are 500pf and z 100-400. I have the Kirk strap that attaches via the lens foot. Both lenses have the Wimberley feet which are permanently fixed.

I do not use a neck strap but I do use a cross my body shoulder strap connected to the lens foot. I will use the camera lugs with lighter weight lenses like the 24-105 or the 100mm macro.

Last edited:
Given the long/heavy lenses we use, and carrying via the lens mount when walking around - do most of us use or even have the neckstrap attached on the camera?
Never on my nature wildlife kit which includes both long and wide angle lenses. Sometimes, for instance when traveling on family trips I might pair a smaller lighter camera like my Sony A6300 and wide angle lens with a camera strap but never when shooting nature and wildlife and I've never used a normal camera strap attached to the two camera lugs with long lenses. Like some above I've used a Black Rapid strap and QD connector to a long lens plate for walk around photography with something like a D500 and 500mm PF or Nikon's 200-500mm lens but I don't use any camera strap at all when shooting with something like the Z9 and 600mm f/4 lens.

When I've sold used cameras the factory neck strap is always new and still folded up as I never even take it out of the box.

As a side note, if I was going to use a neck strap I'd almost certainly not use the factory strap that just screams 'EXPENSIVE CAMERA' and don't see why I should advertise what brand I'm shooting. In those rare cases I've used a neck strap on smaller travel cameras I'll use an older Domke strap that's more comfortable has nice brass end swivel clasps and is much lower key and more subtle than the factory straps.

The first fix I make on a new camera is to remove the split rings from the lugs, as they have a tendency to snag and can make a noise.

I agree the tripod socket (or on a L-Plate) is the better way to attach a sling directly to the camera, as long as it does stress the lens mount.

I never you camera neck straps.
They stay pristine in the makers box - ready for the next owner to make a decision if I eventually sell the camera.

Lenses weighing more than 5 pounds usually come with a shoulder bag and shoulder strap that I may use for transport.

I usually carry the gear I intend to use in a back pack and open the bag when I get get to a photographic location.

The first thing I do when I get a new camera is remove those annoying straps, as well as the metallic ring that is mounted on the strap lug. I carry all cameras, whether with telephoto lenses or landscape lenses, using my cotton carrier system. This way, nothing clings or makes noises when I’m walking around, and my hands are free.

Haven't used a neck strap for ages. Like others mentioned, I typically use a sling strap attached to the lens foot or plate, as I almost always am using some kind of telephoto lens for bird/wildlife photography. Even when doing landscape work, or the rare portrait, will still use the same configuration as noted above.

Given the long/heavy lenses we use, and carrying via the lens mount when walking around - do most of us use or even have the neckstrap attached on the camera?
I voted yes but…
I use a Peak Design strap (attached to lug and to baseplate) when for walkabout short lenses sometimes
I use a Peak Design wrist strap (attached to baseplate) when hand holding a short lens sometimes- just for safety
I often pop the PD strap or wrist strap off
I carry long lenses by the lens foot - no strap

Never ever do I use a camera strap. If I could remove the lugs completely I would. I have considered a Magpul QD strap, but just haven't been motivated enough to try it. If I'm walking an easy trail with flat ground, I don't mind hand holding my setup. If I'm on a steap or rugged trail I would want my camera in my pack anyways.

I always did until now, but since getting my Z8 about three weeks ago (and selling my other gear) I have not. With the reported strap lug issues on the Z8 I am not going to.

I use Peak Design clips.
For smaller lenses, 14-24, f28, 24-70 f2.8 and small primes etc, I use the strap lugs on the camera with a Peak design strap of some sort.
For large lenses, 400 f2.8E FL VR, 800 PF, I just use the lens foot for both anchor points with the Peak Design clips.
With all strap set-ups, I put neck strap over my neck and under my arm and carry it at my right side like a Black Rapid type strap. I sometimes support the set up with my hand.

Never ever do I use a camera strap. If I could remove the lugs completely I would. I have considered a Magpul QD strap, but just haven't been motivated enough to try it. If I'm walking an easy trail with flat ground, I don't mind hand holding my setup. If I'm on a steap or rugged trail I would want my camera in my pack anyways.
Magpul offers several types of straps which can work (MS4 gen 2 is my favorite) and while they are fine with firearms, they really aren't that comfortable for an extended hike with a longer lens.

I use a Black Rapid sport shoulder strap attached to a small arca-swiss saddle plate so I can quickly attach to either the A/S camera base with a small lens attached, or to the A/S lens foot in the case of a large lens. The A/S saddle plate is quick to attach/detach but also allows me to precisely adjust the balance point which varies depending on the specific accessories I'm carrying; i.e. TC's/video mic etc.

I use the Peak Design Straps for various purposes including my Z9 (full size one) and other gear like my monopod (narrow one). I just got the Camera Clip with the Pro Pad and will use that on a belt to help take the weight when I walk. Since I already had these I haven't tried the Blackrapid type strap that seems to be popular. What I particularly like about the Peak straps is how easy it is to adjust the length to fit my needs. Sometimes I attach one side to the lens foot on my zooms.

Back