[POLL] Neck strap

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do you have your neck strap attached on your camera?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Personally, I hate neck straps / shoulder straps. The only thing I use is Peak Design Clutch hand strap. I fitted two PD anchors to a couple of bodies in case there was ever a need. After about 2 years, I pulled them off and put away. One less thing to rattle now too.

I have Peak Design clips fitted to all me cameras and binoculars. I rarely use a strap but like the facility to quickly fit on if required. I am currently favouring a Cotton Carrier harness set up.
When I'm carrying a tele lens, I use a Black Rapid strap. When I'm carrying lighter lenses, I also use the Peak Design clip. I have one of their fold over belt things too. Makes it convenient to just clip the camera on my belt or on my backpack strap and it frees up both hands. I don't like to use it with heavy lenses seems off balance but for lighter lenses the Peak clips work well.

I voted Yes. I use one of two straps, depending on what camera body and lens is attached. I use the Peak Design Slide strap for lighter loads. And I use the Black Rapid Sport shoulder strap for heavier loads and attach the BR strap to the tripod collar mount or the L bracket with a QR clamp I have added to the BR Strap.

I started using detachable straps with quick release buckles initially when I was putting my camera inside an underwater housing. Later I found it helpful to remove the strap on a heavy lens and camera set on top of a tripod to keep from accidentally catching on the strap and sending everything crashing to the ground after a couple of close calls.

Op/Tech is one of the best and they are cheap at less than $20 and in different colors which helps me tell which camera to grab.

I am in the vast minority! I use the strap that comes with the camera. I mostly use it as a "safety strap" in case I drop it or something. I generally carry the camera and lens like a football. I don't have any heavy lenses, so this works well for me.

i use a decidedly un-fancy OptechUSA Super Classic Strap, to carry my camera with smaller lenses (think 70-200, 400 4.5) and as a safety. i like this strap because it provides a bit of width and padding to make it more comfortable, it has a bit of nonslip so it stay how i hang it, and has smaller webbing where it attaches so you don't have a big wide thing in the way. i also don't want a big camera advertisement on my strap

remember the picture of the sony camera tumbling down the ski slope? i saw that and was "yah, he was too cool to use his strap :-D"

(i also thought: he could have seriously injured someone)

Last edited:
I've been using a cross body OpTech strap for years. It only uses one of the strap lugs. The wide strap with padding and a little stretch is very comfortable, and works well when I need to carry multiple items - cameras, big lenses, etc. I also use a Black Rapid strap with a RRS quick release for long lenses.

Yes, when using 70-200 f2.8 and shorter lenses, no with longer lenses. I still use old style UPstrap’s with quick release on my camera bodies. They are starting to feel heavy but I like the non-slip rubber pad since I put the strap on my shoulder and never around my neck.

Like @Calson the V-Cord Loops make it easy to completely remove the straps and quick release buckle so I can fit the camera in my Underwater Housings.

Off topic but I thought UPstrap’s owner had retired but the web page looks active again? Was he able to sell the business?

I have never used a strap on the camera lugs and have been shooting for 20 years and always hand held. I moved to 100% wildlife photography since 2019 and was using the Spider Pro belt system with my D500/D850 and 500PF but since I got the 800PF lens, the long lens plate doesn't fit the 800PF feet so I had to go with a shoulder strap. The main reason I never used the lugs is I had seen more then a couple people end up with a bent mount from hanging 4+ pound lenses off a camera with the straps (neck or shoulder) on the camera lugs letting all the lens weight put constant pressure on the mount.

I don't spend a lot on the should straps. BlackRapids are very over priced. I found an inexpensive should strap $12 on Amazon, and removed the caribeener style swivel clip as i have seen a few wear out and let go. I then purchased actual caribeeners and and QD swivels and made a much stronger hardware connection. total cost with the shoulder strap, $28

Last edited:
I used a neck strap as a backup for a while, then removed it when I started shooting from a canoe thinking it was as likely to drown me as save the camera/lens. I never put it back on.

I have not used neck straps for years after getting a BlackRapid strap which I connected to tripod socket or an L-plate. I loved it until a little over a year ago the connector suddenly gave way and my camera crashed to the ground - luckily only cosmetic damage. I had not noticed that the years of swinging had worn the metal away on the clip ring until it just gave way that day - seems to be poor quality metal and having looked on the web it seems I am not alone in this experience. Looks like BlackRapid use QD port connections on some products but only on their 'Tactical' straps marketed for use with rifles, so I am not investigating - I had not realised that they made these sorts of things for 'sport' hunters ! As a photographer I just want to capture images of wildlife with minimal disturbance, not destroy it and so I won't be supporting them. I changed to a Sunsniper strap which for me is more comfortable and seems much more robust (if a little fiddly).

Given the long/heavy lenses we use, and carrying via the lens mount when walking around - do most of us use or even have the factory neckstrap attached on the camera?
  • If yes, what do you use it for?
  • If no, is it for the reason above?
I have not used a neck strap in quite of few years on my last few cameras. I use a black rapid strap which I connect to a QD strap swivel that I attach to a base plate. This makes going between the BR strap and tripod quick and easy. I don't like the weight around my neck.

I learned from having to replace a warped lens mount on a F-5 that you should never hang a heavy lens from a neck strap. The warped mount can cause parts of the image to be out of focus due to misalignment . I now use Black Rapid straps attached to the lens plate for my heavy lenses. For lighter setups I use a Spin CP 02 Plate with strap. The Spin design works basically like the Black rapid for quick deployment and ease of carrying.

Peak Design strap and clips get my vote. Expensive but so very worth it, used the Black Rapid Strap for years but found it too bulky and uncomfortable in the end, less swinging about, more versatility and comfort with the PD strap - providing I remember to take it of course….😜🤦‍♂️

Back