Replacement Foot for 500PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ClarkJ

Supporting Member
We have all seen Steve’s video of the 500PF, in which the foot came loose and dropped the camera . I have just aqcuired this lens, and see that replacements are available from Kirk, Wimberley, Hejner, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these replacements?

Your question reminded me that I also need to get a replacement foot for my lens, although, so far, the foot has stayed put. Below is one link I just found that provided some insight. Really Right Stuff also has a replacement foot and this is normally who I buy through. Will be watching this thread with interest.

Your question reminded me that I also need to get a replacement foot for my lens, although, so far, the foot has stayed put. Below is one link I just found that provided some insight. Really Right Stuff also has a replacement foot and this is normally who I buy through. Will be watching this thread with interest.

I have the RSS replacement foot for my 500 PF. I bought it since I have been using their stuff for years with complete satisfaction. However, it does have a quick release lever similar to that on the Nikon foot. I tighten it up well and have had no problems. Has anyone had problems with the RSS foot?

Were I doing this again I would go with a one piece foot such as the Henjar. I rarely remove the foot, so why take chances with a 2 piece foot?

Bill

Thanks to everybody who responded. I put in an order for the Hejnar foot. I have purchased several dovetails from them in the past, which be been very satisfactory (not that there were any moving parts to go wrong :) ). I wish everyone good shooting.

One additional point. If you are using a lever locking clamp it may not work well with every dovetail as standardization is not uniform. I use RSS lever clamps and they work well with Kirk and Wimberly dovetails that I have as well as RSS and some Chineese knockoffs . I presume they would also work with the Henjar as Steve uses RSS lever clamps along with the henjar and I haven't heard any complaints from him. I do have an expensive Novoflex Castel L focusing rail with an integral dovetail on the bottom and it won't lock with my RSS lever clamps--too loose.

Bill

We have all seen Steve’s video of the 500PF, in which the foot came loose and dropped the camera . I have just aqcuired this lens, and see that replacements are available from Kirk, Wimberley, Hejner, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these replacements?
I got the Hejnar Foot. Really tight fit. The designer ,Chris is very helpful if need be.

I presume they would also work with the Henjar
FWIW, I use the Henjar 500mm PF foot and it works great with my RRS lever clamps, nice snug fit that locks down solidly but also allows smooth adjustment in the mid clamp adjustment position. It's pretty clear Henjar copied the RRS/Kirk Arca Swiss plate dimensions.

But you make a good point, you can't count on matching plate dimensions from all of the various knock off vendors and it's more critical with lever clamps that lack adjustment screws like the RRS lever clamps.

The Wimberley replacement foot works great for me. Just a note, I have a number of Sirui plates and they work well with the RRS lever locking clamps.

I have used Kirk Enterrprises as replacements for various Nikon lenses (including the 500PF) for close to 10 years, Never had an issue

I bought the Hejnar foot that Steve recommended it is swiss-arca ready (no extra plate needed) and precision engineered, made in the US and longer and more comfortable with my target rifle hand holding technique that rests the foot in the palm of my hand.

I have no problems with the original Nikon foot as I make it a point to tighten the tension knob and not rely on the quick release lever. I added a Wimberley plate as the after market feet are too short to properly balance the 500mm PF with a camera attached on a gimbal mount.

The only time I have used the collar and foot attached to the lens is when doing an autofocus fine tune with a tripod and when I was photographing jaguars from a boat and had the TC-14 attached to the lens and I needed to make use of a monopod for support.

What I love about the 500mm PF is that I can shoot hand held all day long and when doing so I have the collar and foot off the lens and I seldom have it with me. I shot for a day with the Sigma Sport 150-600mm and one reason that I returned it to B&H was that the collar and foot were permanently attached and so always in the way.

BEWARE RRS replacement foot for Nikon 500pf lens! If you have a gripped Nikon D850 with a RRS L-bracket attached and use a 1.4 TC, your rig will be back heavy and will not balance on something like a Flexshooter Pro ballhead. You will need at least an inch BEHIND the replacement foot. VERY frustrating as the RRS L-bracket for the gripped D850 has QD sockets on both arms. With the QD socket on the RRS foot replacement, a Magpul strap should be able to be attached to either side of the L-backet, or the lens foot, or split and attached to the L-bracket AND lens foot. This would be the best of all worlds as you can attach the strap to either the portrait or landscape sides of the L-bracket (for short walks). For a longer hike, split the Magpul strap and attach to the L-bracket and lens foot. To get around this, I will have to use the original lens foot with a 113mm lens plate accompanied by a micro-clamp with QD fitting. I have gone to all this trouble so I can use all my lenses on the D850 and quickly release the strap, and shoot in portrait or landscape on the tripod. The Flexshooter Pro ballhead allows you to whip off your long lens and attach a wide angle or zoom lens and attach it either landscape or portrait (with the L-bracket). I never carry my camera and lens like Steve, so I hope that unintended release will not be an issue. I have asked RRS why they do not have at least an inch behind the 500pf replacement foot. That would make it compatible with the L-bracket for a gripped D850 and the Magpul strap - which they sell. Both RRS L-bracket for gripped D850 and Magpul strap are excellent.

Hejnar for me as well - affordable and works well.
Hi Steve, I have recently acquired a 500 PF. I’ve read about the experiences of yourself and others with the OEM foot and the various solutions. The Wimberley and Hejnar feet address the main issue but I still prefer the option to remove the foot.
I started by trying to understand what is fundamentally wrong with the Nikon foot. I discovered that the spring for the push button release is particularly weak and that it only needs to be depressed a very small amount to release. The button is just slightly proud of the mount and isn’t really obvious you gave your finger against it. There would be no hope with gloves.
Despite both the Kirk and the RRS feet having a similar operating method to the Nikon I figured that they must have done something a little different. I finally settled for the Kirk. The difference between it and the OEM is night and day.
It’s lighter than the original, the foot is longer and Arca to boot. The knob seems to tighten more firmly, The spring in the release lever us significantly stronger and the lever needs to be depressed much further before it releases, right into the cavity in the foot itself actually.
When holding it, it’s much more obvious where the release is but, as the lever needs to be pushed so far, it’s impossible to release by simply carrying it. In fact, if you had heavy gloves on, you might need to take them off to release.
The final benefit, if you’re one who likes straps, is the QD socket, a simple solution to many of the other contrivances. A $12 Magpul QD fitted with whatever you choose to adapt to your strap (Peak Design anchors etc) and you’re set.

I acquired my 500 last year, & opted to purchase the replacement from Kirk Enterprises B4 the lens arrived. I know there are multiple 3rd party vendors for foot replacement...kind of like Ford/Chevy but Kirk is probably the oldest...I’ve bought multiple feet from him , never an issue with any of them

Hi Steve, I have recently acquired a 500 PF. I’ve read about the experiences of yourself and others with the OEM foot and the various solutions. The Wimberley and Hejnar feet address the main issue but I still prefer the option to remove the foot.
I started by trying to understand what is fundamentally wrong with the Nikon foot. I discovered that the spring for the push button release is particularly weak and that it only needs to be depressed a very small amount to release. The button is just slightly proud of the mount and isn’t really obvious you gave your finger against it. There would be no hope with gloves.
Despite both the Kirk and the RRS feet having a similar operating method to the Nikon I figured that they must have done something a little different. I finally settled for the Kirk. The difference between it and the OEM is night and day.
It’s lighter than the original, the foot is longer and Arca to boot. The knob seems to tighten more firmly, The spring in the release lever us significantly stronger and the lever needs to be depressed much further before it releases, right into the cavity in the foot itself actually.
When holding it, it’s much more obvious where the release is but, as the lever needs to be pushed so far, it’s impossible to release by simply carrying it. In fact, if you had heavy gloves on, you might need to take them off to release.
The final benefit, if you’re one who likes straps, is the QD socket, a simple solution to many of the other contrivances. A $12 Magpul QD fitted with whatever you choose to adapt to your strap (Peak Design anchors etc) and you’re set.
Hi Steve! An addition to my comments on this post - 11 Oct. With a heavy rig like a D850 with battery grip and L-bracket (plus 1.4 TC), the 500pf lens will not balance on the excellent Flex-shooter Pro ball heads (Inc. the micro). The only difference to my previous comment is that I got the longer 153mm lens plate. Everything works perfectly with the Magpul strap with QD releases on the lens plate and both sides of the L-bracket for gripped D850 (from RRS). Lenses can be quickly changed - eg to wide angle and all balance perfectly on the same ball head.

I have the iShoot replacement foot. I believe at the time I bought it that it was advertised for the 70-200E lens but it fits the 500pf and not once has it come loose.

Negatives: The tightening knob is a bit big
Positives: tightens down rock solid, way cheaper than wimberly, hejnar, rrs

Back