RRS Collar & Lens Foot for Nikon Z 180-600 Shipping Now

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The QD appears to be just ahead of where the foot attaches (about 1/3 of the way forward).
One knob to tighten the collar, the other to tighten the foot on the collar. Kirk's doesn't have a removable foot and doesn't need a spring loaded safety feature.
Why after waiting to see the RRS design I bought a Kirk I did not want that removable foot and extra knob. Kirk worked great and very well made. I am using the past tense since I sold the Z180-600 and the Kirk collar/foot assembly,

It used to be bad enough that the camera OEMs refuse to put Arca-Swiss compatible feet on their long lenses, but now QD is as much a requirement for me as Arca-swiss is. I wouldn't feel great about it but if I had the Z186 I'd definitely be opting for this or the Kirk product.
Some understand the reasons Nikon (plus Canon and Sony) opt not to go Arca-Swiss as standard.

This aside with more than 50,000 180-600 known at the photosynthesis site in the year since launch some could say RRS have been slow getting their alternative to market.

And I love that they did! Wish they would do the same for the 600mm f/6.3. ( and any lense that comes with a tripod ring/foot). IMHO
So much more convenient than resorting to a QD which causes the straps to get in the way when you raise the camera to take a picture. Recently my foot came loose and Z9 fell to the ground. Would not have happened if the straps were connected to collar lugs!
I have carried some very big lenses on Black Rapids straps (even a 600 f/4E until I got a MRJan long lens carry system) I never used QD and only the screw in and always replaced the Nikon push button release lens feet with after market feet (Hejnar Photo). Being an on the go on foot birder I am in all types of terrain, steep and rocky to riparian etc here Idaho and I have never had a camera/foot combo fall off a strap. And no problem with a strap getting in the way when I raise the camera which I do a lot !

Back