RRS Nikon 180-600 replacement collar

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Appears that QD mount is at the rear, setting up balance for a Z9 shooter using a sling strap however for a Z8 shooter and probably other Z cameras the weight balance (QD mount) needs to be at the other end of the foot otherwise the lens hangs down towards the ground when on a sling strap.

I have used their feet for my F mount lenses and they are well made. I am sure this collar is too if the price is worth it to you. In this case, I decided it is not and I went with the third option listed below.
RRS collar/foot: $295
Kirk collar/foot: $265
Oben Arca-Swiss plate: $14

Appears that QD mount is at the rear, setting up balance for a Z9 shooter using a sling strap however for a Z8 shooter and probably other Z cameras the weight balance (QD mount) needs to be at the other end of the foot otherwise the lens hangs down towards the ground when on a sling strap.
It looks right in the middle to me. I ordered one so when they finally ship I’ll let you know.

I have used their feet for my F mount lenses and they are well made. I am sure this collar is too if the price is worth it to you. In this case, I decided it is not and I went with the third option listed below.
RRS collar/foot: $295
Kirk collar/foot: $265
Oben Arca-Swiss plate: $14
I get it. They see us photographers coming a mile away when it comes to gear. I use the QD attachment to carry my gear so I’ve always gone with the thought process of “do I want thousands of dollars of equipment hanging off the cheapest piece I can find” or something I know I can trust. I actually have a RRS plate on mine now but would feel a whole lot better having collar with everything integrated. For me it’s a small price to pay for piece of mind.

I got the Haoge a while back and I think it's fine. Arca swiss, the foot is a tad longer than the RRS, slightly rounded and it doesn't have the quick release for the foot. It's also around $50 and while I like the RRS quality I can't justify spending almost $300 for a collar for a $1700 lens. It could be a bit longer, but so could the rest of them.

As per note above I just looked up Hoage: $46

Another option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLZNP8YJ
For those that use a cotton carrier, their stud fits on the back of this foot and I can keep the stud on while I mount into a gimbal. I am torn though not having a QD port.
The lack of a QD port was a deal killer and the reason I went with the Hejnar plate. Highly recommend. The Haoge has a QD port though I am leary in that it has an "insert" and I don't know how this is secured (crimped, screwed, etc.).

The 180-600mm collars with the Arca-Swiss grooves can now be bought for less than $50 on Amazon with versions mad by Haoge and iShoot. Unless I am shooting video the 180-600mm will be used hand held and the collar removed entirely. I have done this with the 200-500mm, 100-400mm, 500mm PF, and 800mm PF, as well as with the 180-600mm lens.

The 180-600mm collars with the Arca-Swiss grooves can now be bought for less than $50 on Amazon with versions mad by Haoge and iShoot. Unless I am shooting video the 180-600mm will be used hand held and the collar removed entirely. I have done this with the 200-500mm, 100-400mm, 500mm PF, and 800mm PF, as well as with the 180-600mm lens.
The only challenge I see with this strategy is that in removing the collar one sacrifices a way to attach a strap. That's why there is so much interest in better collars or attachment points.

I had been waiting for RRS when I saw the price and the fact that they were doing a two knob set up using the quick release foot from the 70-200 and then another knob for the collar. The foot ended up effectively shorter than the Kirk for my hand held use. I went with the Kirk I had it in two days and did not have to wait any longer and used it in the field yesterday. If I ever need to use it on a wimberly gimbal head regular or mono in the future the collar can be loosened to use properly per @Steve videos on how to balance and use a gimbal correctly. The stock collar has just 4 detent positions and can not be used loose to smoothly rotate the lens and it also would risk the lens falling off. Kirk has taken care of those issues and would expect RRS has also. A number of the other low cost options are like the stock and do not allow for a proper gimbal set up.

Another option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLZNP8YJ
For those that use a cotton carrier, their stud fits on the back of this foot and I can keep the stud on while I mount into a gimbal. I am torn though not having a QD port.
The I shoot will not work properly in a gimbal where you want the lens to rotate freely in the ring. It is a loosen rotate and clamp back down design.

I had been waiting for RRS when I saw the price and the fact that they were doing a two knob set up using the quick release foot from the 70-200 and then another knob for the collar. The foot ended up effectively shorter than the Kirk for my hand held use. I went with the Kirk I had it in two days and did not have to wait any longer and used it in the field yesterday. If I ever need to use it on a wimberly gimbal head regular or mono in the future the collar can be loosened to use properly per @Steve videos on how to balance and use a gimbal correctly. The stock collar has just 4 detent positions and can not be used loose to smoothly rotate the lens and it also would risk the lens falling off. Kirk has taken care of those issues and would expect RRS has also. A number of the other low cost options are like the stock and do not allow for a proper gimbal set up.

We apparently have very different opinions on the design of the factory collar on the 180-600. The collar on my lens can absolutely be used loose to rotate freely….it’s not as silky smooth as the collar on my 500 f4 but it’s certainly adequate for use on a gimbal if desired. I have used mine on a gimbal several times with the collar loosened and never had any issues or feared it would become detached.

I personally don’t see the need for a replacement collar on this lens at all….ESPECIALLY for $300. I simply purchased a 4” arca swiss plate with two screws for mine and am very satisfied. To each their own.

We apparently have very different opinions on the design of the factory collar on the 180-600. The collar on my lens can absolutely be used loose to rotate freely….it’s not as silky smooth as the collar on my 500 f4 but it’s certainly adequate for use on a gimbal if desired. I have used mine on a gimbal several times with the collar loosened and never had any issues or feared it would become detached.

I personally don’t see the need for a replacement collar on this lens at all….ESPECIALLY for $300. I simply purchased a 4” arca swiss plate with two screws for mine and am very satisfied. To each their own.
Your right, my copy is really bad very catchy. Mine is an early copy of the lens, put in service 9-5-23, and there can always be copy variation. I did not expect it to be as good as others I used to actually use on a Gimbal 600 f/4E and Sigma 150-600 Sport in the "old" days.

And for me the foot, like all Nikon lens feet, is entirely inadequate for a hand held shooter who rests the foot in the palm of his hand target rifle style. When I put a plate on for carry on BR strap and for more length it raises the center of gravity a bit.

The only way I could get it to be even close to loose enough for gimbal made it worrisome about coming open all the way.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve always scratched my head when people spend tens of thousands of dollars on camera gear and then complain about a $300 bracket or $200 memory card. I get it that everyone’s finances are different. I’m honestly not trying to knock other brands because I haven’t used them. I get it, it’s just a piece of metal and some are over priced but at the end of the day your entire investment is balancing on it.
I’m sorry if this sounds like I’m bashing anyone because that honestly wasn’t my intent. It’s just in the grand scheme of things when you look at your entire investment in photography gear does spending $50 vs $300 move the needle at all?
Sorry for the mini rant. You can all tell me how stupid I am now. lol

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve always scratched my head when people spend tens of thousands of dollars on camera gear and then complain about a $300 bracket or $200 memory card. I get it that everyone’s finances are different. I’m honestly not trying to knock other brands because I haven’t used them. I get it, it’s just a piece of metal and some are over priced but at the end of the day your entire investment is balancing on it.
I’m sorry if this sounds like I’m bashing anyone because that honestly wasn’t my intent. It’s just in the grand scheme of things when you look at your entire investment in photography gear does spending $50 vs $300 move the needle at all?
Nah, I think you're spot on. I tell people be frugal, not cheap. Ex I don't need a 300$ plate when a 100$ plate does the exact same job for me, but I'm not going to just buy a 20$ plate that'll be much more iffy.

Fair enough though everyone has a built-in value analysis curve. Take batteries for instance. One has spent well north of $4k for a camera and will chimp over a battery which costs $70 versus a 3rd party version of dubious performance/quality for 1/2 of that. To me, that seems foolhardy though others think and opine differently. Now, we're speaking about a $1.6k lens and debating whether a $300 replacement collar is necessary over the OEM. For some, it makes sense though for others the value is questionable. Rather than impugning people's sense of value, I think it is far more worthy to present the alternatives on the market and allow the users to decide.

Last edited:
It is not just you. Before the first Z180-600's shipped Chris Hejnar (my go to supplier for well made, in the US, replacement feet) said he did not think most who bought the relatively inexpensive Z180-600 would be willing to spend the $ on a collar foot assembly he would build because of his estimated price tag of $250 to $350 so he decided not to build one.

For me if I have one of my Z9's on the other end of even an s lens like the Z180-600 that is still a big investment let alone my time and opportunity to catch and ID shot of a life bird :) So the relative low price of effective and efficient accessories is as you noted a small part of the big picture.

I had been nagging RRS, now located in neighboring Utah, about first if and then when they would be doing a collar foot assembly since the first details for the lens were available. I had their assembly on my 200-500 and it was excellent. I went with Kirk because of the design differences related to my needs not quality or price.

I tend to agree with you….but my point was that for me personally, a replacement collar for this particular lens is a waste of money because the factory collar works just fine for my needs.

My comment about the $300 price for the RRS collar is more related to my opinion that it seems a bit silly to spend $300 to replace the collar on a $1,700 lens. But like I said above….to each their own. This is just one man’s opinion, and it’s worth what you paid for it haha.

I tend to agree with you….but my point was that for me personally, a replacement collar for this particular lens is a waste of money because the factory collar works just fine for my needs.

My comment about the $300 price for the RRS collar is more related to my opinion that it seems a bit silly to spend $300 to replace the collar on a $1,700 lens. But like I said above….to each their own. This is just one man’s opinion, and it’s worth what you paid for it haha.
I would have loved to have a copy of the lens with a collar that rotated smoothly. But since at this time I do not use my gimbals or flex shooter pro and I wanted a longer foot which meant putting on a plate or replacing the assembly. I had plates on hand that I put on but they raised the center of gravity, by just enough to be annoying probably only to me :) So I took care of everything at once with the Kirk assembly.

Back