Selling used gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are a number of companies that buy gear, but the discounts are significant compared to what you can get on your own. I'm about to sell a large batch of gear from an estate. I priced everything I'm selling at KEH using their online tool, and looked at both eBay and used prices. I'm largely splitting the difference by setting a price about 15% below retail or $100-200 or more below retail. If the "offer" from KEH is higher than that amount, I probably won't fool with selling it myself. I want the buyer to get a good deal because the item needs to sell. If you price at the edge, it continues to depreciate and you still need to lower your price later.

The major used dealers are:
  • KEH
  • Used Photo Pro (part of Roberts Camera)
  • Adorama
  • B&H
  • Hunt's Photo
  • MPB
If I'm selling myself, I prefer payment via Zelle. It keeps the cost down and is immediate. 2.9% for Paypal fees adds up. PayPal will also be creating a W-9 for sales this year while Zelle is simply a bank transfer that does not require IRS reporting. I normally cover the shipping cost because I have insurance on the gear already. I declare the value of the gear when it is shipped. FedEx does require documentation to substantiate that value and that the item exists, but did pay quickly when a $500 item was lost. My insurance is a backup if needed.

Silver and Higher members of Nikonians can sell there.

There are a number of companies that buy gear, but the discounts are significant compared to what you can get on your own. I'm about to sell a large batch of gear from an estate. I priced everything I'm selling at KEH using their online tool, and looked at both eBay and used prices. I'm largely splitting the difference by setting a price about 15% below retail or $100-200 or more below retail. If the "offer" from KEH is higher than that amount, I probably won't fool with selling it myself. I want the buyer to get a good deal because the item needs to sell. If you price at the edge, it continues to depreciate and you still need to lower your price later.

The major used dealers are:
  • KEH
  • Used Photo Pro (part of Roberts Camera)
  • Adorama
  • B&H
  • Hunt's Photo
  • MPB
If I'm selling myself, I prefer payment via Zelle. It keeps the cost down and is immediate. 2.9% for Paypal fees adds up. PayPal will also be creating a W-9 for sales this year while Zelle is simply a bank transfer that does not require IRS reporting. I normally cover the shipping cost because I have insurance on the gear already. I declare the value of the gear when it is shipped. FedEx does require documentation to substantiate that value and that the item exists, but did pay quickly when a $500 item was lost. My insurance is a backup if needed.

Silver and Higher members of Nikonians can sell there.
Any concerns about using Zelle for sales to "unknown" people? I'd love to find an alternative to PayPal. I just sold a lot of expensive gear and the PP fees add up quickly!

Any concerns about using Zelle for sales to "unknown" people? I'd love to find an alternative to PayPal. I just sold a lot of expensive gear and the PP fees add up quickly!
It's pretty straight forward. They don't get bank account information - just an email address or phone number at most. You can send them a request via Zelle and all they do is pay it.

Zelle is very simple and instantaneous transfer of funds. You can not get your money back if someone doesn't provide the item however. In person transfers as noted above is probably safest for all without transferring a bunch of cash.
I've used MPB numerous times buying and selling and the transactions are very simple - you get a offer and if accepted a shipping label. Couldn't be simpler. They do ask where you purchased the item but it doesn't have to be from them as someone mentioned. If they disagree with your condition of the item you can have it shipped back. Probably not going to get the very top price for your gear but the convenience is great.

I have 4 strategies for selling my gear.

1. Friends at camera club. If you are not a member, not an option. In general I set the price for the amount I expect to receive after fees if I sold on eBay or Fred Miranda.

2. Fred Miranda (or eBay). Though for the most part i avoid eBay due to high fees and need to be extra cautious. Buyers and sellers on Fred Miranda are more reasonable.

3. Camera stores. I get several quotes before deciding. Rather not go this route as I get 20-30% less than selling it myself.

4. Craig's list. Done this once or twice. I am uncomfortable with the process - always meet in a public space (police station, starbucks, ...).

I purchased two 300pf from forum members. $1200. Seller adsorbed shipping costs. I am well happy with the 300pf even though I have the 500pf. On a D-500 the 500pf is a bit long in some cases. Additionally, the 300pf is much lighter and more maneuverable hand-held so it works better for BIF shots not too far away.

remember if you try to sell to an online used place, they will give you less than half of what you could possibly get for selling on your own. they have to make money too. ive been selling on craigslist and facebook for 15 yrs and have yet to have any issues. i use mpb .com to see what they are selling/buying for. and check ebay.

D6, D500 and several lenses sold to B&H ... I go into their on line quote have already checked local, KEH etc.. ... I like the simplicity they send me the prepaid shipping label and to date have always paid what the online quote was or in one instance a bit more and I have them send me a check that arrives via fed ex and the deal is done.

remember if you try to sell to an online used place, they will give you less than half of what you could possibly get for selling on your own. they have to make money too. ive been selling on craigslist and facebook for 15 yrs and have yet to have any issues. i use mpb .com to see what they are selling/buying for. and check ebay.
I get about 70% what I expect to net if I sell myself on line (shipping and paypal fees).

Glad to hear criag's list works for yoiu

D6, D500 and several lenses sold to B&H ... I go into their on line quote have already checked local, KEH etc.. ... I like the simplicity they send me the prepaid shipping label and to date have always paid what the online quote was or in one instance a bit more and I have them send me a check that arrives via fed ex and the deal is done.

Ken makes a good point. KEH, B&H, and others provide a pretty good offer for current, high demand equipment. You might do better on your own, but it takes time and effort. I've seen them offer as much as 80% of what I could get selling myself. Older items are much more hit and miss, and sometimes accessories make a big difference. I've got a D3s for sale right now and the KEH quote for the body only is only 25% of the quote for the camera with dual charger, battery, and other accessories. The charger for the flagship cameras and the batteries are very expensive - especially if you have to buy a new charger and batteries which could cost $600 or more.

I considering moving up to a Z7ii and I wonder what anyone here has found as the best place to sell your used Nikon cameras and lenses.
As Eric and others have pointed out, there are a number of reputable firms (B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc.) that deal in used equipment. The real question is how much of a "haircut" are you willing to take? If not much, and you don't mind investing your own time and effort, then perhaps try to sell some or all of your equipment yourself. I've done it both ways, and generally prefer to sell higher-end items myself.

Several months ago, Steve floated the idea of creating a sales forum on BCG, but of course hasn't gotten to it yet. However, the community here is great, so you might try posting one item as a test case. I've purchased a few items here from members I "know", and have been very satisfied. The likelihood of getting burned on BCG is low in my humble opinion, at least from long-standing members. Zelle provides an easy way to transact money.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ken makes a good point. KEH, B&H, and others provide a pretty good offer for current, high demand equipment. You might do better on your own, but it takes time and effort. I've seen them offer as much as 80% of what I could get selling myself. Older items are much more hit and miss, and sometimes accessories make a big difference. I've got a D3s for sale right now and the KEH quote for the body only is only 25% of the quote for the camera with dual charger, battery, and other accessories. The charger for the flagship cameras and the batteries are very expensive - especially if you have to buy a new charger and batteries which could cost $600 or more.
If I could get 80% I would take it. Selling it myself incurs costs w/ shipping and paypal (not sure about zelle) fees.

I opt for a simpler approach. It may not get me top dollar, but it is reliable. Usedphotopro comes to our local camera shop a few times each year. I pool my used gear and take it to them. The eval and payment are real-time and, if you spend the proceeds in the store, you get an additional 10% on top of the gear you sold. This works for all, as I save my gear to sell for when I have a purchase to make and do it all on one day. This also helps my local camera shop (Art’s Cameras Plus in southeast Wisconsin). Usedphotopro is a part of Robert’s Camera of Indiana.

Usedphotopro is great, tho you do take a hit on price, but convenience is great. One thing to remember or to know is that they pay shipping, but they do NOT pay insurance, so if you ship it with their free shipping, you do take a risk. If you want to insure, you have to pay shipping. I've used their free shipping and had no issues, but there is potential for loss sif UPS were to lose it.

Back