Sony 300GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I appreciate everyone’s opinions and comparing Nikon to Sony etc but at the end of the day I have ZERO desire to go backwards to Nikon nor do I see any value in shooting two systems since I already have Sony.
I wouldn’t expect the 300GM to make anyone switch just as the 600PF wouldn’t make me want to switch.
Each brand has solutions for smaller and lighter between primes and zooms. Each brand has compromises but changing or adding systems based on one lens just doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:
Fun little comparison I did. I moved into position for a good background when the owl moved to this perch. Took some shots but then decided to quickly remove the 2xTC and get ready for a flight shot (which sort of paid off). But it gave me a good comparison of the bare lens vs 2xTC of the same subject taken from the exact same spot. I was sitting on the ground, handholding but elbow resting on knee.

I've included the cropped images to my liking and the full FOV. I also included a couple full res images from a private Flickr upload. Images had minimal editing but run through LR Denoise AI. Brightened exposure on the 2x image by 1/3 stop to match brightness of the bare lens. Exposure was the same but either the light levels changed slightly or I actually think that the Sony 2xTC robs a bit more than 2 stops of light. I've noticed this before with the 2x on my other lenses.

I think at the smaller web size there isn't much between them. When you see the full res close up you can see the 600mm shot probably is a better file to work with and especially to print if so inclined.

A1_05026-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
A1_05035-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
A1_05026.jpg
A1_05035.jpg

Oh....and stepping back to 300mm did pay off....just managed to catch a couple flight frames but missed some better wing poses by not panning down fast enough. With a tighter FOV I probably would have missed them all. Had to add canvas to the wings spread one as it was really close to bottom of frame.

A1_05482-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A1_05486-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg

Oh....and stepping back to 300mm did pay off....just managed to catch a couple flight frames but missed some better wing poses by not panning down fast enough. With a tighter FOV I probably would have missed them all. Had to add canvas to the wings spread one as it was really close to bottom of frame.

View attachment 96054View attachment 96055
Geat sequence! My 300 is being delivered on Friday.

Back