Sony a1 2.0 firmware finally out

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is not that bad :) I rarely need all the buttons, anyway in most scenarios I use very few. What I love in FW 2.0 (I am prety sure it was not possible do to before, in 1.32) is programmable rec button. I can have tracking mode @AEL, BBF and Recall@REC. I had to struggle either with joystick press to recall setting or try (idid not like it) to assign focus to halfpress. I really like to have a AF-on+tracking@AEL. What I wish is a function to actually toggle tracking, current version is useless. Tracking toggle@c1 or @c2 or somewhere near ISO wheel would be slower in operation than AF-on+tracking@AEL but it would give me two recalls - 1@REc and 1@AEL.
I have had the record button set up as a recall saved settings C1 for over a year. It's not new.

I am really thankful how fast the Sd cards format now. It seems the same as my A7RV. Now if they’d hurry and release an update to correct the snafu’s they’ve created will the firmware it would be nice.

I have had the record button set up as a recall saved settings C1 for over a year. It's not new.
Oh, at least I found it out with the FW update :) Somehow I must have missed it in the customize tab.

That has been around quite early. I hardly shoot video and if I do, I need completely different settings from shooting RAW photos, so the default for that button was always useless to me. I agree that I would not mind say another two buttons. I'm not fond of the front side button of the A9III though. Hard to keep pressed while shooting, OK for using as a toggle, but a bit close to the lens release. What I guess I could use more is the buttons integrated into the back ISO dial. Also hard to keep pressed while shooting, though. And then there is the C1 button, which is the only custom button accessible when using the BT remote and hence also kinda locked to a specific function. Anyway, not perfect, but works fairly well as it is. There currently isn't a single body from any manufacturer that I think would be a significant improvement over the A1(for my preferences, obviously). Including the A9III, which is better, but only by a small margin.

Well, out of all the top end cameras I like the sony button set up. Most of all - there is enough control wheels. And customization is insane. Few tiny things could be added, but 99% of it is already there :)

Would someone mind sending me either the .dmg or .zip of the a1 firmware? I understand people are having problems with it, but I’m about to go on a shoot where external timecode and 4:2:2 8K video would make a big difference.
Here you go. It's Windows version. Do it at your OWN RISK! It will wipe out all your existing settings.

Last edited:
Here you go. It's Windows version. Do it at your OWN RISK! It will wipe out all your existing settings.

Much thanks!🙏 Just updated and so far so good. Time to go film my IMAX movie! (just kidding)

Attachments

• IMG_9931.jpeg
    IMG_9931.jpeg
    810.5 KB · Views: 15
I’ve just finished upgrading my A1 and my A9III :
  • A9III : from 1.00 to 2.00. Using a CF Express A card. Very fast, around 5 minutes. The configuration is kept.
  • A1 : from 2.00 to 2.01. Using the UBS-C port. About 25 minutes. The configuration is kept.
    Note : if you didn’t upgrade to 2.00, you still have to update to 1.35 first and then to 2.01. In this case the configuration is lost and you have to re-enter it manually.

Last edited:
Back