Sony a1 2.0 firmware finally out

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After totally redoing everything and testing the body with all 10 Sony lenses I have the quitting focus is corrected. Also I’ve taken 3500 images around the house today including some crows and turkey vultures in flight. I’ve not had to remove the battery once to power it down which is great. BIF seems the same as 1.32 to me but single point for static or slow moving subjects is still worse than 1.32. Basically I’m experiencing what LTK is for the most part. I’m happy two of the issues seem to be corrected.
Well at least thats one issue sorted , I'm hoping they hurry up and release 2.01 , tbh I'm tempted to hire an alternative from Nikon or canon to see if I'm missing anything

As the Olympic Games come very soon, no doubt that Sony is going to speed up 2.x delivery :cool:
I've had the A1 since release and its been a very good camera , its had a few issues thats been either sorted with fw or we've managed to do workarounds . I loved it with fw1.20 , for me it was a pleasure to use . It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, I'm just hoping I can rely on it again

I have a question for those who've migrated to 2.0...

It's related to a functionality which is correctly implemented on the A9III but it looks like it's not the case on the A1 with 2.0.

On the A9III, it's possible to add a divider before the first picture of a sequence.
In review mode, you can then skip from divider to divider (or the photo that follows them directly)
The divider is a small jpeg picture, recorded on the SD / CF Express card, around 75KB and it looks like this :

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.04.36.png

On the A9III, to add this divider, there's an option in "Shooting Option / Selection/Memo Shot" with 2 choices :
- Top Image
- Pre-Capture Shutter Rel (This one of course is not available on the A1 as Pre-Capture hasn't been added to 2.0)

A9III Option
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.03.36.png

When reviewing the pictures, to skip from one group to the next one, you can use the following option : "Image Jump Setting / Rear Dial = Image After Divider"

A9III Option
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.03.47.png

This very useful functionality has been "implemented" on the A1 2.0 on the review side :
A1 Option
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.03.55.png

But... on the A1 with 2.0, the problem is that there does not seem to be a menu to activate the addition of the separator.
You can choose to activate a value in review mode... that you can't activate/choose elsewhere (I speak about "Image After Divider").

Has anyone figured out how to activate this option on the A1 with 2.0 please?

-------------------------------------------------------
More explanation coming from the A9III user guide :

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 09.58.04.png

Last edited:
Zone and wide with bird eye priority has been fine . I have zone set to half shutter and spot small focus recall hold ti AF-ON . This has always been reliable for me for birds in reeds etc if the focus jumped to the foreground. Only way to get it back now is point it at the ground , before I just tapped the spot small .
Another reason I really wanted that pre focus recall but unfortunately it doesn’t work with 200/600 etc
Hi LTK,
How do you configure your A1 to:
have zone set to half shutter and spot small focus recall hold ti AF-ON

Many thanks,

I have a question for those who've migrated to 2.0...

It's related to a functionality which is correctly implemented on the A9III but it looks like it's not the case on the A1 with 2.0.

On the A9III, it's possible to add a divider before the first picture of a sequence.
In review mode, you can then skip from divider to divider (or the photo that follows them directly)
The divider is a small jpeg picture, recorded on the SD / CF Express card, around 75KB and it looks like this :

View attachment 85605

On the A9III, to add this divider, there's an option in "Shooting Option / Selection/Memo Shot" with 2 choices :
- Top Image
- Pre-Capture Shutter Rel (This one of course is not available on the A1 as Pre-Capture hasn't been added to 2.0)

A9III Option
View attachment 85606

When reviewing the pictures, to skip from one group to the next one, you can use the following option : "Image Jump Setting / Rear Dial = Image After Divider"

A9III Option
View attachment 85607

This very useful functionality has been "implemented" on the A1 2.0 on the review side :
A1 Option
View attachment 85608

But... on the A1 with 2.0, the problem is that there does not seem to be a menu to activate the addition of the separator.
You can choose to activate a value in review mode... that you can't activate/choose elsewhere (I speak about "Image After Divider").

Has anyone figured out how to activate this option on the A1 with 2.0 please?

More explanation coming from the A9III user guide :

View attachment 85609
I can’t find it either , think they need to sort things out and re release

I can’t find it either , think they need to sort things out and re release
Thank you ;)

Phew, I thought I got lost in the 23 412 menu options of the A1 :ROFLMAO:

This kind of error is really incredible on such a camera, especially that this update was expected for years and that all the other manufacturers will look closely what Sony has put in it :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
These new features brought to the A1, which are very limited on the pure aspects of shooting, justify if necessary the interest to have an A9III next to the A1.

As feared, no pre-capture on the A1. This is a huge drawback for this camera, surely unable to support it from a hardware point of view.
Regarding Pre-capture I don't think there's a hardware limitation. Instead, I think it's a case of "cripple hammer".

Pre-capture works simply by taking photos continuously when the shutter button is half-pressed and discarding the ones over the specified duration (e.g. 1 sec). Even low end Fujifilm cameras - for example - can do this.

I just want to preface what I’m going to say by stating I don’t claim to be a Sony camera expert, but I have shot with the A1 for well over two years now 5 to 7 days a week 3 to 4 hours at a time. Having stated that, I do consider myself very familiar and proficient with the camera. I’ve had four issues this morning after loading 2.0 software. The first one with the LCD and viewfinder blacking out was my fault because I had said my shot result preview to Toggle instead of hold, the next issue is I’ve had to remove the battery three times to power the camera down, my 600 G master lens has completely quit focusing twice and thirdly, It is my opinion. The auto focus has taken a hit and seems more sluggish. I have absolutely no explanation for why the lens stopped focusing but I literally had to power the camera down twice in order to get it to takeoff again. I have taken about 1100 images this morning and I definitely feel like the auto focus has suffered from this update.

Sorry to hear that!

Regards pre capture the A1 has quite a decent buffer size too , cameras with far smaller buffer offer pre capture so you’d think the A1 could manage it . I presume it only writes to the card after pressing the shutter button fully

Annoying the new pre focus recall won't work with the 200-600 , Sony trying their best to get me to buy the 600mm f4
So after messing with the Camera pretty much all weekend and I’ve been out nearly 3 hours with it this morning. I’ve made a discovery that might help you and your situation. Any time before my responsiveness setting has remained between one and three and like you typically use single point small medium or large 90% of the time. I felt like that definitely suffered after this update so this morning I bumped responsiveness up to four single point and I found that has really improved the AF performance in those focus modes and I’ve also found near water that I can raise it up to three now whereas Near water before I was at one. I’m not going to say it feels exactly the same as it did before, but it has improved the performance and might be something you want to try.

So after messing with the Camera pretty much all weekend and I’ve been out nearly 3 hours with it this morning. I’ve made a discovery that might help you and your situation. Any time before my responsiveness setting has remained between one and three and like you typically use single point small medium or large 90% of the time. I felt like that definitely suffered after this update so this morning I bumped responsiveness up to four single point and I found that has really improved the AF performance in those focus modes and I’ve also found near water that I can raise it up to three now whereas Near water before I was at one. I’m not going to say it feels exactly the same as it did before, but it has improved the performance and might be something you want to try.
You're referring to Auto Focus Tracking Sensitivity?

I truly believe beyond any shadow of doubt the first file uploaded into the camera got corrupted somehow because I’ve had none of the issues after loading the second software. The only issues I would say at this point is the perceived sluggishness in auto focus and it does seem like my battery is draining quicker than before. I never have Bluetooth on and always have the camera and airplane mode so there’s definitely nothing along those lines draining the battery.

Thanks for the update I’ll certainly give that a try , normally I have response at 2 so will give 4 a go . I’m finding eye AF priority on with wide is definitely better than it was with previous fw . Hit rate is a little better

You will remember that in a previous episode, I had not found how to add a separator at the beginning of a burst shoot (new functionality added in version 2.0)
This statement'd been confirmed by LTK.

Well, it’s possible. So, not like on an A9III... we’re still on an update of Sony’s flagship camera. Don’t ask too much guys.

On the A1 2.0 it is manual and it is documented as explained below.
The concern is that:
1/ I already lack buttons to assign the 223 functions I need
2/ In the heat of the moment, I can hardly see myself saying "Oh yes, I will make a burst, so I have to press the button...???? Damn, which button ????
Oh yes, none, I dropped this function on the A1.

Thank you SONY!

A1 version 2.0 documentation :

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 09.13.12.png

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 09.13.27.png

For example :

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 09.16.47.png

Last edited:
To manage all the function assignments to buttons, I will suggest to Sony to integrate a keyboard to the A1 version II.

This will be the "Sony A1 II accordion" model.

Maybe as an option ;)

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.00.36 copie.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
It is not that bad :) I rarely need all the buttons, anyway in most scenarios I use very few. What I love in FW 2.0 (I am prety sure it was not possible do to before, in 1.32) is programmable rec button. I can have tracking mode @AEL, BBF and Recall@REC. I had to struggle either with joystick press to recall setting or try (idid not like it) to assign focus to halfpress. I really like to have a AF-on+tracking@AEL. What I wish is a function to actually toggle tracking, current version is useless. Tracking toggle@c1 or @c2 or somewhere near ISO wheel would be slower in operation than AF-on+tracking@AEL but it would give me two recalls - 1@REc and 1@AEL.

(I am prety sure it was not possible do to before, in 1.32) is programmable rec button.
That has been around quite early. I hardly shoot video and if I do, I need completely different settings from shooting RAW photos, so the default for that button was always useless to me. I agree that I would not mind say another two buttons. I'm not fond of the front side button of the A9III though. Hard to keep pressed while shooting, OK for using as a toggle, but a bit close to the lens release. What I guess I could use more is the buttons integrated into the back ISO dial. Also hard to keep pressed while shooting, though. And then there is the C1 button, which is the only custom button accessible when using the BT remote and hence also kinda locked to a specific function. Anyway, not perfect, but works fairly well as it is. There currently isn't a single body from any manufacturer that I think would be a significant improvement over the A1(for my preferences, obviously). Including the A9III, which is better, but only by a small margin.

Last edited:
Back