Sony a9III Poor Sales Performance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Z8 still has some shortcomings to the Z9. Most notably heat dissapation issues, battery performance and room for a 2nd CFE type B slot rather than an SD slot.

These will never be mitigated. These are the reasons the Z9 is the size and weight. Sony doesn't even have a mirrorless pro body
That is the reason for the size....but I don't see why the Z9 has to weigh so much.
The Canon R3 is so much lighter, better ergonomics in every way imaginable (other than the inferior rear screen articulation) and yet still has the bigger size to have better heat dissipation and battery performance. (granted, Canon crippled it with mixed slots but I don't think that was because of the size...just some dumb decision).

That is the reason for the size....but I don't see why the Z9 has to weigh so much.
The Canon R3 is so much lighter, better ergonomics in every way imaginable (other than the inferior rear screen articulation) and yet still has the bigger size to have better heat dissipation and battery performance. (granted, Canon crippled it with mixed slots but I don't think that was because of the size...just some dumb decision).

The R3 overheats at high bit rate, 6k RAW.

I have no insight into all these design decisions, I like and use all brands, I own them all in some configuration. I'm the a Fanboy of all brands. Well, not OM.

Whether on purpose or not, the Z9 is the only FF hybrid (as opposed to dedicated cine) that does not overheat. Weight/choice of materials probably has something to do with it. We will soon see active cooling in mirrorless as more and more pros are expected to turn in vid files as well as stills, although that would inevitably increase thickness and battery consumption and a myriad of other potential issues.

The different material the R3 is made from makes it lightly but also if i remember correctly that i read also doesn't allow for all that great of heat dissapation. I think the R3 also is known to overheat.

Headed over to see Gene today and hold it. Not detered by the reviews (yet), and if it feels good with a grip I'll rent it for a week and see about the IQ. Sensor size is not an issue for me and I really want that new 300.
I’ve had 300’s in the past and typically to short however for how it handles TC which my Nikon 300’s didn’t I’m tempted as well for something more compact.

As a National and International Award Winning pro of over 50 years in the business, and a member of Sony Imaging Pro Support, let me add my two cents here. Already the A9III is out of stock in many places. The top sport shooters working for the wire services like Associated Press, Canadian Press, all Gannett media including USA Today, and UK's Top News Service that ALL exclusively use Sony gear for all their staff photographers and staff videographers around the world, ALREADY had them supplied direct from Sony, before they were released to the general public on Feb. 8th, so all those A9III cameras were never in the pre-order lists, just a fact. They are already being used around the world, and will be used at the Super Bowl on Feb. 11th. I used the best of Nikon, Canon, Leica and Hasselblad for over 40 years. Since I made the move to Sony mirrorless back in January 2017, I have owned and used Sony A6500, A7RII, A7RIII, A7III, A9, A7RIV, A7SIII and currently have A1, A7RV and yes A9III. I have shot all subjects around the world , War coverage, breaking news, pro sports, fast wildlife, fashion, celebrities, US Presidents, world leaders, royalty, Nobel Peace Prize recipients , corporate clients, events, weddings and more., and I will use the A9III for the things it can do than none of my other cameras can do. For a working pro we would have paid even more than $5998 USD for this global shutter sensor camera, when getting the shot means everything for our livelihoods in this highly competitive business. I will use my A9III for all the new creative abilities, advanced performance, and competitive advantages it gives me. If you dont need it, fine. But it will return much more than its initial investment for me. I am very happy to have the A9III joining my A1 and A7RV. Cheers and use what works for your needs and your budget and be happy.
It's pretty clear to me that the A9III is a fantastic camera with groundbreaking tech. If I was shooting the Super Bowl tomorrow and could pick any camera body, it would be the A9III.

As a National and International Award Winning pro of over 50 years in the business, and a member of Sony Imaging Pro Support, let me add my two cents here. Already the A9III is out of stock in many places. The top sport shooters working for the wire services like Associated Press, Canadian Press, all Gannett media including USA Today, and UK's Top News Service that ALL exclusively use Sony gear for all their staff photographers and staff videographers around the world, ALREADY had them supplied direct from Sony, before they were released to the general public on Feb. 8th, so all those A9III cameras were never in the pre-order lists, just a fact. They are already being used around the world, and will be used at the Super Bowl on Feb. 11th. I used the best of Nikon, Canon, Leica and Hasselblad for over 40 years. Since I made the move to Sony mirrorless back in January 2017, I have owned and used Sony A6500, A7RII, A7RIII, A7III, A9, A7RIV, A7SIII and currently have A1, A7RV and yes A9III. I have shot all subjects around the world , War coverage, breaking news, pro sports, fast wildlife, fashion, celebrities, US Presidents, world leaders, royalty, Nobel Peace Prize recipients , corporate clients, events, weddings and more., and I will use the A9III for the things it can do than none of my other cameras can do. For a working pro we would have paid even more than $5998 USD for this global shutter sensor camera, when getting the shot means everything for our livelihoods in this highly competitive business. I will use my A9III for all the new creative abilities, advanced performance, and competitive advantages it gives me. If you dont need it, fine. But it will return much more than its initial investment for me. I am very happy to have the A9III joining my A1 and A7RV. Cheers and use what works for your needs and your budget and be happy.
Gerald..............good to see you here. Just keep in mind that the great majority of the folks on these forums are wildlife shooters along with some landscape shooters. For those jobs, I think the consensus is that the A9iii falls far short of what most of us would like in a camera. Sure, it has some wonderful applications for a pro like you but many of us need/want the significantly higher MP and more that the A1 and hopefully by next year the A1ii will offer. I too have been making my living as a professional photographer for many years shooting birds...............but for what I need the A1 is still the best option for me. Anyway, glad you've joined our forums.

Last edited:
A different take

Is it price, niche product, technology or the economy that the A9III sales are slow or is it the canary in the mine telling us things are changing.

Canon are dropping the R3 price heavily and the R5, are both due for a refresh possibly or introducing some major Ai.

The Z9 is down on price to what i was, i believe its also due for a refresh.

Why is the market soft in take up and things so expensive is the common burning question, or does it even matter ? well i assume things are changing for many reasons.

Apple Samsung and even Chinese brands take off are significantly down, is it because the Chinese economy has been slowing significantly or not. If the Chinese economy is slowing its possibly also a reflection of global consumerism levels have fallen steadily is my guess.

The camera industry has been in decline as we know.

Or are people starting to feel fatigued with costly Geekish overload, or the fact that for the past 2-3 years people have been hit with interest rates effecting disposable spending levels, who knows, or it could be the camera industry or phone industry is realizing the excessive gouge on pricing has to stop or face the consequences like Apple and Samsung has.
Note Samsung broad product range has also slowed.

Several of my friends have all said they are Apple and Samsung disciples but at these prices sorry ......... and there isn't a lot of difference between the last few models to warrant that kind of money, does this mean the technology curve has peaked in this product or is it economic wow.

Today here in OZ the Samsung and Apple top models are identical on price there over $2000 AUD.

The largest impact here in Oz has been fuel and food rents or mortgage.

Asking a group of 20 camera club members would they spend on new mirror less cameras and lenses, 80% said no, no more thank you happy with what we have.

If you take a look at the depreciated collapse in value of DSLR gear, many people don't have or want to spend on a new system.

And there are always people that will lash out and spend, but not as many as yesterday.

The fear of dirty oceans around the world from conflict and turmoil escalating has many people silently being cautious with everything is what i hear lot off.

Only an opinion

the a9iii sales are (probably) slow because it’s an expensive niche camera. that’s it. people who it provides advantages for will buy one, there’s not a lot of incentive for broad adoption

camera prices are falling because there was a long period where there there were very few cameras to fit a set of rolls, then there were lots of options, so prices fall as manufacturers compete for the dollars

nothing too mysterious

Do we actually have sales figures to show that A9III sales are slow, or are we guessing?
It’s all a guess. Typically when a camera is in high demand I wouldn’t be able to walk into any of my dealers and buy 5 of them. B&H and Adorama wouldn’t be in stock. So yes it is a guess but when compared to other new cameras this one is easy to get.

Counting the amount of reviews in the B and H product web site is an indication of popularity.........
I wouldn't give any credibility of online retailer reviews. Places like Amazon, Walmart and large retailers like B&H, Adorama and the like often have fake paid reviews. But I doubt the percentage is very high for the A9III that wildlife shooters are the buyers of it. It's a sports body that the large majority will be sports shooters, not wildlife/BIF shooters.

According to this video it's the number two seller in Japan.

It's amazing for sports, flash, and video people are going nuts for this camera.

There are lots of cameras I would rather own because of my needs, and I'm sure that's the case for the majority of nature and wildlife photographers. For mnay photographers, though, it's at the top of its class for the features they need/want.

I spoke to several pros on the surfing circuit. They all got it. I think with the R3, followed by the A1 and Z9, it's a big hit within that sports photography genre. I held one, got one rented for a surfing shoot in May with the 300.
Are you referring to stills or video? The reason I ask is I thought you were more video centric. I cannot see any advantage whatsoever in a global shutter for video unless there's something I am not understanding.

Are you referring to stills or video? The reason I ask is I thought you were more video centric. I cannot see any advantage whatsoever in a global shutter for video unless there's something I am not understanding.
Global shutter for video is great! When panning or shooting rapid movements you don’t get the motion blur you’ll get from a non global shutter.

Global shutter for video is great! When panning or shooting rapid movements you don’t get the motion blur you’ll get from a non global shutter.
I can't imagine it being any better whatsoever over the A1 which has zero rolling shutter. I absolutely embrace new technology in every regard but this situation IMO offers no real world benefits to 99% of the photographers out there. I would have rather it had a stacked sensor and been 40mp as well as shooting 40 FPS. Those specs would offer real world benefits, but that's just my opinion.

I can't imagine it being any better whatsoever over the A1 which has zero rolling shutter. I absolutely embrace new technology in every regard but this situation IMO offers no real world benefits to 99% of the photographers out there. I would have rather it had a stacked sensor and been 40mp as well as shooting 40 FPS. Those specs would offer real world benefits, but that's just my opinion.
Agreed, though the Z9 sensor readout is faster at 3.7ms compared to the A1's at about ~4ms

A global shutter may be better for video but i don't think very many people will ever notice the difference unless a video from each is playing side by side

Last edited:
You just described what I believe will be the next a1.

Sony will still have plenty of cameras available in all price ranges . And you know Sony makes Nikon's image sensors so when Sony gives them the global shutter, it may cost less from Nikon as Nikon underprices its gear to try and stay afloat , and to climb back out of fourth place in the mirrorless worldwide sales market share behind Sony, Canon, Fuji. Check the numbers if you dont believe the facts. If you wish to go to Nikon, I wish you all the best, they are making great gear. Use what works best for you and your budget. Cheers
Just silly to say that Nikon is trying to “stay afloat.” Nikon has never been close to financial ruin. It was late to mirrorless and paid the price, but rumors of its demise were never based in “fact.”

Just silly to say that Nikon is trying to “stay afloat.” Nikon has never been close to financial ruin. It was late to mirrorless and paid the price, but rumors of its demise were never based in “fact.”
I have said this many times, even when they were reporting $770 million in losses. The profit loss lasted 18 months. A 100 year old company that the camera division isn't it's main money maker was way way way overstated. Their an optics and medical optics company first and foremost.

I have said this many times, even when they were reporting $770 million in losses. The profit loss lasted 18 months. A 100 year old company that the camera division isn't it's main money maker was way way way overstated. Their an optics and medical optics company first and foremost.
Precisely. Nikon is a publicly traded company that submits plenty of economic disclosures. Its financial condition was transparent for anyone who wanted to see it. Nikon contracted due to the broader camera and economic marketplace and its slow transition to mirrorless, but Nikon was never close to failing.

Back