Sony a9III Poor Sales Performance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Agreed, though the Z9 sensor readout is faster at 3.7ms compared to the A1's at about ~4ms

A global shutter may be better for video but i don't think very many people will ever notice the difference unless a video from each is playing side by side
Sony took the lead in Mirror less in a big way, its in the film and video business and has strong vertical integration.
Still photography as we have known it is running up to its use by date and will in the main stream of big life be obsolete.

Video is the future, the internet platforms say it is as does advertising revenue, Smart Phones have ushered this in with Tik Tok Instagram U tube that are driving it home.

The camera industry like Nikon Canon and the rest have all moved to hybrid still video cameras, the future is Video and connectivity, stills will be a niche market and prioroity.

My friend does videos of weddings he is a camera club member and he uses a large Sony Pro video Camera and Canon DSLRS for his phography generally, he says he gets perfect stills from the Video camera, also wild life photgrahers in the out back are taking 30 mb stills from video on a pair of Z9 cameras.

Photography is transitioning to Videography and the whole industry and world is steaming that way.

Only an opinion

Sony took the lead in Mirror less in a big way, its in the film and video business and has strong vertical integration.
Still photography as we have known it is running up to its use by date and will in the main stream of big life be obsolete.

Video is the future, the internet platforms say it is as does advertising revenue, Smart Phones have ushered this in with Tik Tok Instagram U tube that are driving it home.

The camera industry like Nikon Canon and the rest have all moved to hybrid still video cameras, the future is Video and connectivity, stills will be a niche market and prioroity.

My friend does videos of weddings he is a camera club member and he uses a large Sony Pro video Camera and Canon DSLRS for his phography generally, he says he gets perfect stills from the Video camera, also wild life photgrahers in the out back are taking 30 mb stills from video on a pair of Z9 cameras.

Photography is transitioning to Videography and the whole industry and world is steaming that way.

Only an opinion
Taking pristine stills from video isn't new. It has been a thing ever since 8k video. There are at least a couple well known YouTube "photographers" that rarely ever shoot stills now and post still images cut from 8k video. I know this as I have spoken to them in person.

Sony is also MUCH MUCH more than a camera company. They are known to just buy companies whose industry they want to enter without starting from scratch (hence the purchase of Minolta). They are also the company some have speculated that could be the most likely to just up and leave the camera industry of the big 3 (not that it is likely anytime soon). As they have done this in the past.

As far as the transitioning to videography, yes it is growing but it will be a decade or 2 before actual photography will be dead if ever. People said that about film cameras and film photography and it's making a comeback. Everything that becomes always seems to become new again.

Ok everyone don’t spin out of control about beloved Nikon. This isn’t about them. This is a Sony thread about a new camera. 🤦‍♂️

Ok everyone don’t spin out of control about beloved Nikon. This isn’t about them. This is a Sony thread about a new camera. 🤦‍♂️
Yes I think its over priced, but its a tool with specific uses or applications, the people that really need it wont car if its $1000 or $1500 overpriced, its a tool fit for a purpose that fits into a system.

The industry is going video and connectivity, if your not in that now or soon as an industry your basically history is the way i would perceive it to be or relegated to a Niche market.
I had the very first A9, 20fps JPEG 10 fps raw LOL and that was to much then LOL.

I like the Sony products but just not the company.

Would i buy a A9III, if i needed it as a special tool all the time yes, if not i would rent as needed like i do now with most of the things i use occasionally.

Are you referring to stills or video? The reason I ask is I thought you were more video centric. I cannot see any advantage whatsoever in a global shutter for video unless there's something I am not understanding.
I'm enamored with their new 300/2.8 and I need a body for it. The other cameras they make are uncomfortable to me (except my FX3 but it's a cine camera).

I'll use it for sports photography, not vid. The Z9 is superb for that. Long runtime, no overheat, 8k, 4k/120, etc.

As far as global shutters, they are far more important to video than stills, but in most instances you give up IQ. The A9iii has the dynamic range of a cropped sensor and doesn't go below ISO 250. Might not matter for stills, but a good 2 stops of DR lower than the A1 and Z9 will make it hard to edit, especially the highlights.

But it's changing. Red just introduced an 8k/120 global shutter camera with 17+ stops of dynamic range. I have to assume that the next Sony Venice will have a similar option. Those are My guess is that within five years the technology will migrate to mirrorles cameras and all flagships will have a global shutter. The issues are heat dissipation and cost.

Sony has been
I'm enamored with their new 300/2.8 and I need a body for it. The other cameras they make are uncomfortable to me (except my FX3 but it's a cine camera).

I'll use it for sports photography, not vid. The Z9 is superb for that. Long runtime, no overheat, 8k, 4k/120, etc.

As far as global shutters, they are far more important to video than stills, but in most instances you give up IQ. The A9iii has the dynamic range of a cropped sensor and doesn't go below ISO 250. Might not matter for stills, but a good 2 stops of DR lower than the A1 and Z9 will make it hard to edit, especially the highlights.

But it's changing. Red just introduced an 8k/120 global shutter camera with 17+ stops of dynamic range. I have to assume that the next Sony Venice will have a similar option. Those are My guess is that within five years the technology will migrate to mirrorles cameras and all flagships will have a global shutter. The issues are heat dissipation and cost.
Sony has been wanting to buy RED for a while now as i understand it ?
Video and connectivity is the path forward and i think Sony will lead the charge again ?
The Sony 300 2.8 i hear is stunning, then again most any late model 300 F2.8 is in my view.

Only an opinion.

I can't imagine it being any better whatsoever over the A1 which has zero rolling shutter. I absolutely embrace new technology in every regard but this situation IMO offers no real world benefits to 99% of the photographers out there. I would have rather it had a stacked sensor and been 40mp as well as shooting 40 FPS. Those specs would offer real world benefits, but that's just my opinion.
The A1 has good rolling shutter performance, about 17ms, almost as good as the R5 and Z9. Rule-of-thumb for video is needing less than 10. Again, good for high MP hybrids, not good enough for cinema applications. My FX3 shows about 8ms. That's a 4k sensor.

Sony has been

Sony has been wanting to buy RED for a while now as i understand it ?
Video and connectivity is the path forward and i think Sony will lead the charge again ?
The Sony 300 2.8 i hear is stunning, then again most any late model 300 F2.8 is in my view.

Only an opinion.
Apple is the top contender to buy Red. Neither Canon nor Nikon has this lens.

The A1 has good rolling shutter performance, about 17ms, almost as good as the R5 and Z9. Rule-of-thumb for video is needing less than 10. Again, good for high MP hybrids, not good enough for cinema applications. My FX3 shows about 8ms. That's a 4k sensor.

IIRC, the A1 is better than the R5 and just below the Z9 in rolling shutter performance.

IIRC, the A1 is better than the R5 and just below the Z9 in rolling shutter performance.

I am not aware of anyone other than CineD that runs lab tests on these. They report (lower is better):

A1 16.6
R5 15.5
Z9 14.5

For comparison with best-in-class (before global shutter) cine, Sony Venice is at 3ms.

I am not aware of anyone other than CineD that runs lab tests on these. They report (lower is better):

A1 16.6
R5 15.5
Z9 14.5

For comparison with best-in-class (before global shutter) cine, Sony Venice is at 3ms.
The Canon R5 has horrible rolling shutter. It's sensor is nowhere near as fast it's the A1 or the Z9

1707753169495.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I used it in the field and found it was fine, as I did with the A1 and Z9. These tests are consistent with my experience: all three are very good.
I guess my thing is, where would you ever come into a situation that a tiny amount of rolling shutter on any of those cameras would even matter? I have shot butterflies, hummingbirds, and even swallows, and noticed absolutely zero rolling shutter I guess I’m sort of confused where this would ever come in to play in the real world.

And please don’t take that as me being argumentative I’m just truly curious, and I definitely respect all your knowledge about video

And please don’t take that as me being argumentative I’m just truly curious, and I definitely respect all your knowledge about video

Not at all! I actually don't care about global shutter, all flagships have great performance associated with fast readout and I don't shoot aviation (propellers) golf (moving club) or baseball (moving bats). Just pointing out that there is a move towards cmos global shutters, Sony is first mover, and we will see those in all flagships once they resolve the tradeoff between megapixels and heat/dynamic range.

My interest in the A9iii is needing a comfortable body for the new 300/2.8. The A1 is an amazing camera, but not comfortable for me.

Not at all! I actually don't care about global shutter, all flagships have great performance associated with fast readout and I don't shoot aviation (propellers) golf (moving club) or baseball (moving bats). Just pointing out that there is a move towards cmos global shutters, Sony is first mover, and we will see those in all flagships once they resolve the tradeoff between megapixels and heat/dynamic range.

My interest in the A9iii is needing a comfortable body for the new 300/2.8. The A1 is an amazing camera, but not comfortable for me.
So in your area of videography, will the global shutter yield and noticeable improvements?

I don't think they figured out the heat and dynamic range issues associated with dense global shutters yet.
It’s one of those things many years ago I thought it was great having a 24 megapixel sensor but once you have a 50 megapixel or 60 megapixel sensor, it’s hard to go back lol. It makes it really nice having that extra crop ability.

Back