Sony files, what am I missing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve shot Canon (up to 5d II), Nikon (D500, Z6 and Z50), Panasonic (up to G9) and Sony (A1, A9II and A7c) and I really don’t do anything different between them. It could be I just don’t notice the differences and I’ve never done a side-by-side.

That being said I did recently purchase the Cobalt profiles for my A1 and I do like the colors they give in some of my images. Maybe that would be something to look into.

Edit: If you post up the RAW file I can process it through the cobalt profile and see if you like the output better.
Not sure I can post the raw file on here

The workflow might just be different. At first, I seemed to find them just a little less flexible than the Nikon files, but anymore I hardly notice. I think I just sort of subconsciously adjusted my workflow a little. Sadly, I don't have a lot of specifics, but I can tell you a few things that come to mind.

First I find that, most of the time, my Sony files seem a little too warm. This is NOT 100% across the board (sometimes they are too cool as well), but it does seem to be the case more often than not. Having a color cast of any kind can make processing seem much more difficult than it is. Often, when I cool off a Sony file, I find the colors snap right in. I have also noticed the greens in Sony - especially the darker ones - are not as easy to manipulate. Sometimes, you have to do those a little more selectively. They like to "weirdly oversaturate" if that makes sense.

The other thing I notice is that getting a good white and bald point makes a noticeable difference too. Not that it doesn't help every file, but it seems more critical for the Sony files.

All that said, once I got used to the Sony files, it really wasn't a big deal and, for the most part, I really like the colors and overall appearance of the files once processed.
If you don’t mind me asking, do you use a profile during import?

Here’s an example from this morning. Just seems flat 2 dimensional.
View attachment 31498

Sensors don't create "flat" images (whatever that means)...lenses might...at least if you are part of the Leica tribe and want that "3D pop" which IMHO is a buch of hogwash.

Take the same shot with both cameras and post the images and show me what a flat image looks like. Then I'll take another look. I have no idea what flat even means in relation to that eagle image.

I used Niikon from 1989 to last February, when I switched to the Sony A1. Have had no issues in processing Sony files regarding color and contrast. I'm sure I do it a little differently, but the process is still the same. If there are whites in the image, such as your eagle shot, then getting color tones right should be simple. A flat image is low in contrast, and increasing contrast is easy in Lightroom and photoshop. I've never had a problem increasing contrast.The problem lies in going the other direction-- improving an image that is too contrasty.

I used Niikon from 1989 to last February, when I switched to the Sony A1. Have had no issues in processing Sony files regarding color and contrast. I'm sure I do it a little differently, but the process is still the same. If there are whites in the image, such as your eagle shot, then getting color tones right should be simple. A flat image is low in contrast, and increasing contrast is easy in Lightroom and photoshop. I've never had a problem increasing contrast.The problem lies in going the other direction-- improving an image that is too contrasty.
I’ll give that a try

Only reason I ask is I don’t have a Adobe rub monitor…..yet. So I’ve set the camera for srgb because that’s all my monitor can see. Not sure if this is rookie logic on my part. I’m really glad this subject came up btw.

For raw files it doesn't matter what colorspace is set in camera. Lightroom uses a version of prophoto RGB no matter what is set in camera. If you export from Lightroom you can convert to another colorspace or if you send the file to Photoshop you can choose to stay in prophoto or convert to another colorspace, or convert when exporting. It's all in what you set in the Photoshop color management settings.

For jpeg it does matter, the color profile set by the camera is imbedded in the jpeg.

Last edited:
After struggling a bit with A2 files I started using Dxo Photolab ( bought it when it was being sold for just 100 $ as recommended by some one in the forum ( Hut2 I think) & am pretty happy with the results .

I do see an occasional color cast which is easy to get rid of & nothing serious.

I do have LR & PS & will try to learn how to use them properly with A1 files

Im not sure about the A1 specifically but when i run into a file that feels "flat" I usually head straight to the whites and blacks sliders. I rarely adjust the contrast slider, I find it does too much in the middle tonal range and prefer to adjust saturation separately. Speaking of saturation.... heres a neat trick i use that some may find helpful. When adjusting white balance jack your exposure to 100. This makes it easier to see the actual colors while you adjust white balance.

I want to preface this post by saying I'm in no way trying to start another brand war. I have been editing images in some capacity for nearly 20 years with various cameras and even cell phone images. Having said that, I recently purchased a Sony A1 to see what all the hype is about. The autofocus, ergonomics and customization is great on this camera. Also the 200-600mm lens is a awesome internal zoom/telephoto lens. I have taken 2500-3000 images in various conditions ranging from low, cloudy days to full sun. I have the camera pretty well dialed in where I want it. Now the bad. No matter what color profile, editing style or manipulation within photoshop or Lightroom, the imaged just never seem right to me. I can take pretty much any Nikon file and make it useable. I'm sure others have struggled with this, in fact Steve Perry has mentioned the files taking more work to complete. I'm open to any suggestions or advice from any long time Sony users. Frankly, they look like **** LOL, pardon the French. If I can't get a handle on this soon, then the A1 will go back.
I tend to agree, I looked at lots of sample files whilst waiting for Nikon to bring back a decent autofocus to the mirrorless range like we had with the d500 etc, but I just couldn't grow to like the colour science and a lot of pictures looked to me like the subject was pasted onto the background. all that said people like Mark Smith (osprey guy) and of course Steve Perry seem to manage quite nicely. have we become accustomed to Nikon files. I wonder if we had started with Sony would we feel the same..
thankfully a z9 is on the way

FWIW....I create a custom camera color profile for each camera I use. I use the Xrite Color Checker Passport and software. Xrite has been purchased by Calibrate but the product is the same. Most of use recognize the value of calibrating our monitors. Creating a custom camera color profile is basically the same process to ensure that the SOURCE image, the raw file, is capturing accurate color information. The profile can then be used in your processing program instead of the canned options.

Calibrate Color Checker Pro

See my post #50 HERE.....for an not-so-brief explanation of the process

Here’s an example from this morning. Just seems flat 2 dimensional.
View attachment 31498
Hard to tell from a jpg but I am thinking your whites need boosting a bit. One thing I do with Sony files is activate the clipping warning for whites, push them until clipping appears in areas where I don’t want it and then back off. On this shot you’ve done a great job keeping the texture in the snow but it does flatten the overall look.
‘You might also need to open up the shadows to drop the black point but this jpg already looks clipped in the blacks (which is ok).
‘The other thing you can do in PS is a curve that opens up mid and highlights and gently brush it on the lighter part of the bird plumage.
you also have bands of snow that are warmer and others that are bluer, you can see to accentuate those nuances to see if it gives more relief. Honestly this is a great file to play with and explore various editing ideas.

I want to preface this post by saying I'm in no way trying to start another brand war. I have been editing images in some capacity for nearly 20 years with various cameras and even cell phone images. Having said that, I recently purchased a Sony A1 to see what all the hype is about. The autofocus, ergonomics and customization is great on this camera. Also the 200-600mm lens is a awesome internal zoom/telephoto lens. I have taken 2500-3000 images in various conditions ranging from low, cloudy days to full sun. I have the camera pretty well dialed in where I want it. Now the bad. No matter what color profile, editing style or manipulation within photoshop or Lightroom, the imaged just never seem right to me. I can take pretty much any Nikon file and make it useable. I'm sure others have struggled with this, in fact Steve Perry has mentioned the files taking more work to complete. I'm open to any suggestions or advice from any long time Sony users. Frankly, they look like **** LOL, pardon the French. If I can't get a handle on this soon, then the A1 will go back.
I had same problem with a A1 that I borrowed and an A7 I had that died.
Nikon and Canon have been doing this for a long time and their "colour science" shows...🦘

Here are two files from Monday within 2-3 minutes of each other. These were taken on the Mississippi River in Clarksville MO. Same conditions, wide open 500PF, Sony 200-600, 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Both auto white balance, standard profile applied in Lightroom, no sliders moved. Nikon iso/1600 1/4000th Sony 1/5000th iso/5000
Its amazing to me that two cameras can capture a scene so differently. I'm by no means saying ones better than the other but as you can see there's a stark difference. To me the Sony file just looks muddled and very two dimensional. I just need to get used to editing the files.
Cameras are Nikon Z9 Sony A1
Top image Nikon/Bottom Sony
NZ9_0846.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
SA101504.jpg

Here are two files from Monday within 2-3 minutes of each other. These were taken on the Mississippi River in Clarksville MO. Same conditions, wide open 500PF, Sony 200-600, 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Both auto white balance, standard profile applied in Lightroom, no sliders moved. Nikon iso/1600 1/4000th Sony 1/5000th iso/5000
Its amazing to me that two cameras can capture a scene so differently. I'm by no means saying ones better than the other but as you can see there's a stark difference. To me the Sony file just looks muddled and very two dimensional. I just need to get used to editing the files.
Cameras are Nikon Z9 Sony A1
Top image Nikon/Bottom Sony
View attachment 31528View attachment 31529
No expert and probably partially colorblind here. BUT, if you cool the Sony file and slide Shadows to the right, they'll be close. Maybe a little more saturation.

No expert and probably partially colorblind here. BUT, if you cool the Sony file and slide Shadows to the right, they'll be close. Maybe a little more saturation.
I can give that a try but like I said these are straight out of camera with camera standard profiles applied in light room classic with absolutely no adjustments.

It’s just going to be a learning curve on my part working with these files I suppose. Nikon seems easy to me but that’s what I’ve editing exclusively for years. I felt the same with Fuji files when I owned the xt3. It seemed like it took more time to get the file acceptable to my liking.

Here’s a pic of a fox squirrel I took this week with the A1 and I think it looks great but it took quiet a while to get there.
73336884-C029-4B8B-B2A9-8BC3A0D88A57.jpeg

Back