Sony files, what am I missing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here's a couple more from this morning. It seems my issues are when shooting near water. I am completely satisfied with the images I got this morning. These are just random images with basic edits but seem good to me.
_SA12220-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_SA12209-Edit.jpg

Interesting discussion, as an owner and shooter for both the Sony A1 and the Nikon D5 I don’t find that much difference in processing a raw file for either of the cameras. The differences that I have noticed with dealing with raw files from the Sony are; 1.) they seem a bit more sensitive to establishing a good black and white point, 2.) darks/shadows can take on a color cast and 3.) greens specifically tend to over saturate.

Interesting discussion, as an owner and shooter for both the Sony A1 and the Nikon D5 I don’t find that much difference in processing a raw file for either of the cameras. The differences that I have noticed with dealing with raw files from the Sony are; 1.) they seem a bit more sensitive to establishing a good black and white point, 2.) darks/shadows can take on a color cast and 3.) greens specifically tend to over saturate.
Thank you, I will definitely try to hone in on those to see if it makes a difference.

How are you coming along on getting the look you want? I always liked the Nikon embed jpeg better than Sony's but processing raw files I haven't had any issues. I am far from a photo editing master, I pretty much keep it to very basic stuff. I am more than happy to try and help you if you need it.

Here are a couple shots I just edited in Lightroom from last week. I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes on each image. All shot on Sony A1 and either the Sony 90mm macro or 70-200f2.8 MKII
_Dav3073-Edit-2.jpg

_Dav0445-Edit.jpg

_Dav2111-Edit-Edit.jpg

_Dav1951-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

_Dav2043-Edit.jpg

How are you coming along on getting the look you want? I always liked the Nikon embed jpeg better than Sony's but processing raw files I haven't had any issues. I am far from a photo editing master, I pretty much keep it to very basic stuff. I am more than happy to try and help you if you need it.

Here are a couple shots I just edited in Lightroom from last week. I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes on each image. All shot on Sony A1 and either the Sony 90mm macro or 70-200f2.8 MKII
View attachment 31588
View attachment 31590
View attachment 31591
View attachment 31592
View attachment 31596
Those are very beautiful images. I had better luck today with some shots I took earlier. I think I just need some more time to get a system down and accept that editing the Sony files is going to be a little different than the Nikon files.

I sometimes find mine look flat too although since getting the A1 the weather hasn’t been great in the UK . I currently use the 200-600 , most shots especially BIF tend to be high iso so I’m looking forward to days with better light .
I am noticing blues in lighter shadows or blacks ,dark brown feathers . One thing I have noticed with some of the Z9 uploads is whites blowing out . Don’t think the Z9 has zebras ?

I recently tried my friends 600mm F4 GM , apart from the obvious quicker focus first thing I noticed was more pop and better colour just viewing the images back through the EVF . The 200-600 is a great lens for the price but does seem flat unless in perfect light . I think my D850 200-500 had a little more pop less flat although the 200-600 is sharper and overall a much better lens .
I’m now thinking go with a Z9 500mm PF or save up longer and go for the 600mm f4 . I got rid of most of my Nikon glass apart from the 300mm f2.8

I want to preface this post by saying I'm in no way trying to start another brand war. I have been editing images in some capacity for nearly 20 years with various cameras and even cell phone images. Having said that, I recently purchased a Sony A1 to see what all the hype is about. The autofocus, ergonomics and customization is great on this camera. Also the 200-600mm lens is a awesome internal zoom/telephoto lens. I have taken 2500-3000 images in various conditions ranging from low, cloudy days to full sun. I have the camera pretty well dialed in where I want it. Now the bad. No matter what color profile, editing style or manipulation within photoshop or Lightroom, the imaged just never seem right to me. I can take pretty much any Nikon file and make it useable. I'm sure others have struggled with this, in fact Steve Perry has mentioned the files taking more work to complete. I'm open to any suggestions or advice from any long time Sony users. Frankly, they look like **** LOL, pardon the French. If I can't get a handle on this soon, then the A1 will go back.

Really no need for the attitude and sarcasm. I’m on here asking for help and don’t need your condescending remarks! We can’t all be the expert you are!
I gave you a suggestion back on page one as to what to do. And reiterated it on page 2 and then the in the post you quoted. Wasn't trying to belittle. Shoot the same scene or use the DPR test scene and compare like to like. Until you do that you are just beating around the bush for 4 pages of posts. This is not an Adobe issue per se, it is a like for like issue. Sure there are going to be little differences, no camera processes the exact same.

I gave you a suggestion back on page one as to what to do. And reiterated it on page 2 and then the in the post you quoted. Wasn't trying to belittle. Shoot the same scene or use the DPR test scene and compare like to like. Until you do that you are just beating around the bush for 4 pages of posts. This is not an Adobe issue per se, it is a like for like issue. Sure there are going to be little differences, no camera processes the exact same.
Ultimately all I made the post for is to just see if most people used certain profiles with Sony files as opposed to Nikon files. Sorry about flying off the handle, was having a really bad morning. I’ve just never seen files take on such a color cast as the Sony. I’m going to try some jpegs today with the standard in body profile to see what they look like. I’ve pretty much always shot the same with whatever camera I’ve owned and that’s manual with auto iso. I found yesterday that my results in the Sony seem better with full manual including iso and using zeebras. I really do like the A1 and the 200-600 zoom but was just taken aback by how different the files look SOOC compared to Nikon. I think the A1 still has a little better focus than the Z9 but the Z9 is certainly excellent. I’ll also try to shoot some side by side images today at the same settings to see how they look.

In my A1 menu> Image Quality> Color Space: AdobeRGB

I honestly have no idea how this affects my RAW files. It was a set it and forget it for me. Maybe default 🤷‍♂️

sRGB or AdobeRGB 🤷‍♂️
I have started using Adobe RGB about a year ago and I have both cameras the Z9 and the A1 set to that color space

Reactions: Hut
Ultimately all I made the post for is to just see if most people used certain profiles with Sony files as opposed to Nikon files. Sorry about flying off the handle, was having a really bad morning. I’ve just never seen files take on such a color cast as the Sony. I’m going to try some jpegs today with the standard in body profile to see what they look like. I’ve pretty much always shot the same with whatever camera I’ve owned and that’s manual with auto iso. I found yesterday that my results in the Sony seem better with full manual including iso and using zeebras. I really do like the A1 and the 200-600 zoom but was just taken aback by how different the files look SOOC compared to Nikon. I think the A1 still has a little better focus than the Z9 but the Z9 is certainly excellent. I’ll also try to shoot some side by side images today at the same settings to see how they look.

Reading back through my posts they did come off a little rude. Apologies for that.

I'm usually using Adobe Color or Landscape although Landscape is sometimes a little too much contrast/saturation. I also use Camera PT which I really like for sun but not for shade (seems to have some sort of red/purplish tint). If I'm really having trouble with colors then I start of with Adobe Neutral or Camera NT and dial in from there.

Which profile have you been using?

Ok I’m going to sound like an idiot. How do you change camera profiles in Lightroom and PS? I was editing last night and while reading this thread I wondered what mine is set at. I’ve never clicked any profiles, I see lens profiles populate but where does the camera profile?

Ok I’m going to sound like an idiot. How do you change camera profiles in Lightroom and PS? I was editing last night and while reading this thread I wondered what mine is set at. I’ve never clicked any profiles, I see lens profiles populate but where does the camera profile?

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 7.48.31 AM.png

Is this what you are looking for?

Reading back through my posts they did come off a little rude. Apologies for that.

I'm usually using Adobe Color or Landscape although Landscape is sometimes a little too much contrast/saturation. I also use Camera PT which I really like for sun but not for shade (seems to have some sort of red/purplish tint). If I'm really having trouble with colors then I start of with Adobe Neutral or Camera NT and dial in from there.

I have tried using just the Adobe color profile as well as landscape and have tried using camera standard for the Sony. I am finding that daylight white balance seems to work better than manual white balance adjustment or at least on the images I have tried so far

In Lightroom classic if you look on the top right side it will say Adobe if you click the down arrow it will pull up and let you browse different color profiles

Are you using the Adobe rgb colorspace or srgb in camera?

sRGB for all my cameras.

I also find that for Sony I don't like using Auto WB (although in the end shooting RAW it shouldn't matter) and I like to set either Sun or Cloudy as needed. Sometimes Shade.
I will give that a try. I'll put the camera back to srgb and experiment with the in camera WB settings. I had always used srbg until about a year ago and decided to try it. I guess it really makes no sense to use it considering 95% of everything including most printing requires srgb.

View attachment 31638

Is this what you are looking for?
Well all be damned. I never have messed with this and just use it as defaulted. So are we saying selecting a camera profile improves processing? This is how mine is set which is default I tend to hit auto see what it does and than make changes to my taste from there I typically don’t spend more than a couple minutes and I’m done I’m sure masters of editing would improve my shots but I am not a big fan of editing
E58647A5-8CEC-4073-BD38-C515B21A55D5.jpeg

So I clicked on it and see no camera models just adobe color profiles. How do you set it for a specific camera? Since I haven’t had any issues with editing I’m not sure I want to make changes but I’m curious as to if it’s even better.
Go to browse in that drop down menu and it will show them.

Here is a Sony A1 RAW file that was parked on my desktop. AdobeRGB on Camera and in LRC quickly exported to JPEG without any slider adjustments. Only resized to fit this forum.
It's not a good photo but the colors seem normal to my eyes and consistent to what I get out of the camera with 200-600mm. Depending on ambient light conditions
View attachment 31652
Looks really good to me. I might warm it just a tad but again that's all subjective. I'd be satisfied with that as is though.

Here is a Sony A1 RAW file that was parked on my desktop. AdobeRGB on Camera and in LRC quickly exported to JPEG without any slider adjustments. Only resized to fit this forum.
It's not a good photo but the colors seem normal to my eyes and consistent to what I get out of the camera with 200-600mm. Depending on ambient light conditions
View attachment 31652
I honestly think that's a very interesting photo. I think the warm grass and cool water with the ice is pretty awesome.

Reactions: Hut
Here is my sRGB profile raw file processed through DXO Photolab5
DSC03013_Dxo_Vadhwana_02Dec2021_cropped.jpg

Back