Sony firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For anyone that has a Sony body, there are some firmware updates available. I updated my A7RV this morning but haven’t tried it out yet. Still nothing for the A1 and I’m beginning to think that firmware is basically like Bigfoot and is a bunch of BS!

I know nada about engineering and technology of cameras, but do we know if Sony's A1 'engine' is built to adopt major firmware updates; or has Sony decided to stick with hardware updates for their 'new and improved' strategy? My brain is still in the D3 days when we got maybe two updates those only corrected screw ups; now with four major updates for the Z9 the camera simply keeps getting even further ahead of my understanding of its capabilities (e.g. I've still not got a handle on 1.0... :) . In any event, at least for 'value for your money' (let alone providing advanced bells and whistles) I hope SONY gets their sh*t together -- either get to making firware updates, or make it clear they're not/or are (with some timeframe) coming!

I know nada about engineering and technology of cameras, but do we know if Sony's A1 'engine' is built to adopt major firmware updates; or has Sony decided to stick with hardware updates for their 'new and improved' strategy? My brain is still in the D3 days when we got maybe two updates those only corrected screw ups; now with four major updates for the Z9 the camera simply keeps getting even further ahead of my understanding of its capabilities (e.g. I've still not got a handle on 1.0... :) . In any event, at least for 'value for your money' (let alone providing advanced bells and whistles) I hope SONY gets their sh*t together -- either get to making firware updates, or make it clear they're not/or are (with some timeframe) coming!
Yeah, the rumors for the last year don’t help matters, but I do absolutely feel like they have dropped the ball on the camera. My A7R5 has received three updates less than a year. Nikon has definitely got their act together with firmware updates and honestly is doing better than any company out there as far as I’m concerned.

Sony itself announced that FW update for A1 will be coming in "March or later". The big question is what updates they are giving to the A1, I hope it's not something most still photographers don't care about..

Sony itself announced that FW update for A1 will be coming in "March or later". The big question is what updates they are giving to the A1, I hope it's not something most still photographers don't care about..
I agree and I certainly hope you’re right. There are four things I would actually like to see. One of which is full-time DMF, firmware via card, subject detection in video and focus bracketing. I can’t imagine there would be any hardware limitations in the camera that would prevent these four items from being installed via firmware, I mean honestly at this point I would pay them a couple hundred dollars to have these features

I’ve just finished upgrading my A1 and my A9III :
  • A9III : from 1.00 to 2.00. Using a CF Express A card. Very fast, around 5 minutes. The configuration is kept.
  • A1 : from 2.00 to 2.01. Using the UBS-C port. About 25 minutes. The configuration is kept.
    Note : if you didn’t upgrade to 2.00, you still have to update to 1.35 first and then to 2.01. In this case the configuration is lost and you have to re-enter it manually.

Last edited:
I’ve just finished upgrading my A1 and my A9III :
  • A9III : from 1.00 to 2.00. Using a CF Express A card. Very fast, around 5 minutes. The configuration is kept.
  • A1 : from 2.00 to 2.01. Using the UBS-C port. About 25 minutes. The configuration is kept.
    Note : if you didn’t upgrade to 2.00, you still have to update to 1.35 first and then to 2.01. Is this case the configuration is lost and you have to re-enter it manually.
I’m just about scared to install it after that last go around

Someone said before that you could update the A1 via the card now, but I just went ahead and did it on the computer. It just finished and thankfully all the settings are still intact.

Someone said before that you could update the A1 via the card now, but I just went ahead and did it on the computer. It just finished and thankfully all the settings are still intact.
The "Software update" button is present on the Version page. This suggests that the next update can be done with a card.
I know... it was already there after the 2.00 version.
We are progressing... little by little!

My A1 update is chugging along....around sloth speed....
I really hope there is some hidden fix to my battery drain.
I did check and I didn't have any BT/Wifi connection problem on 2.0.
Maybe some runaway process in the 2.0 FW was draining the battery so fast. Maybe that is fixed, even inadvertently in 2.01.
Fingers crossed.

My A1 update is chugging along....around sloth speed....
I really hope there is some hidden fix to my battery drain.
I did check and I didn't have any BT/Wifi connection problem on 2.0.
Maybe some runaway process in the 2.0 FW was draining the battery so fast. Maybe that is fixed, even inadvertently in 2.01.
Fingers crossed.
Please keep us posted.

Keep us posted on what you think of the new firmware. I didn’t do 2.0 so I’d prefer to not do it now if it’s still problematic.
I’ve been out with it a couple hours this morning and haven’t noticed anything problematic and it seems like it’s focusing a little better with small spot. I’m going to try it out on some swallows and a half hours or so to see how it does on birds in flight. About an eight 6700 for travel two or three weeks ago brought it out yesterday for swallows and I’m in disbelief how well a $1400 camera will track fast moving birds. It has the same AI auto focus processing chip as the A7RV I own and both of them are just super impressive with how well they track. I hate to say this because I own the A1 but I think the 6700 might have a slight edge once you’re locked onto the subject, which is insane.

I’ve been out with it a couple hours this morning and haven’t noticed anything problematic and it seems like it’s focusing a little better with small spot. I’m going to try it out on some swallows and a half hours or so to see how it does on birds in flight. About an eight 6700 for travel two or three weeks ago brought it out yesterday for swallows and I’m in disbelief how well a $1400 camera will track fast moving birds. It has the same AI auto focus processing chip as the A7RV I own and both of them are just super impressive with how well they track. I hate to say this because I own the A1 but I think the 6700 might have a slight edge once you’re locked onto the subject, which is insane.
Then definitely don’t get the a9III. When using an a1 now it feels like an old car compared to a new Ferrari.

Keep us updated , if spot focus is improved with FW2.01 that'll make it worthwhile , since FW2.0 mines been a PIA regards spot AF and battery drainage

Then definitely don’t get the a9III. When using an a1 now it feels like an old car compared to a new Ferrari.
I personally think the A7R5 is better in certain circumstances than the A1 as far as focusing. Of course I don’t have the frames per second as the A1 but if you lock onto a swallow and flight it sticks like glue.

Keep us updated , if spot focus is improved with FW2.01 that'll make it worthwhile , since FW2.0 mines been a PIA regards spot AF and battery drainage
It certainly seems to be improved because especially this time of year small or medium spot is just about all I use once the leaves start getting on the trees so far this morning has been pretty damn accurate once I walk to the place that has the swallows here in a few minutes I’ll tell you how it does with birds and flight

Back